Please support the GLSRP’s efforts for a Water Safety School Curriculum through our fundraiser page. You can read about our cause and donate here: https://www.crowdrise.com/watersafetyschoolcurriculum/fundraiser/glsrp
On March 30, 2016, the GLSRP received the National Drowning Prevention Alliance’s “Community Lifesaver of the Year Award for its hard work for water safety Advocacy.
- The GLSRP has performed over 190 Great Lakes Water Safety presentations in 7 of the 8 Great Lakes states (The GLSRP will surpass 240 presentations by mid-June 2016)
- April 22, 2016 – The GLSRP will be the Keynote Speaker and Present “The Vicious Cycle of the Drowning Epidemic – The Need for a Water Safety School Curriculum” at the Great Lakes Water Safety Consortium Conference in Grand Haven, MI
- April 19, 2016 – The GLSRP will be the Keynote Speaker and present “The Vicious Cycle of the Drowning Epidemic – The Need for a Water Safety School Curriculum” at the Great Lakes Water Safety Consortium Conference in Cleveland, OH
- March 31, 2016 – Presented “The Vicious Cycle of the Drowning Epidemic – The Need for a Water Safety School Curriculum” at the NDPA’s Annual Symposium in Mesa, AZ
- March 29, 2016 – 2015 NDPA Great Lakes Community Lifesaver of the Year Award
- March 29, 2016 – John Kocher, GLSRP Board Member, 2015 NDPA Illinois Community Lifesaver of the Year Award Winner (Kathy Kocher is also the recipient of this award.)
- May 6, 2015 – Presented at Great Lakes Beach Hazards and Water Safety Conference in Gaylord, MI
- April 21, 2015 – Co-Hosted and Presented at the Great Lakes Beach Hazards Water Safety Conference in Michigan City, IN
- March 12, 2015 – Melissa Zirkle, GLSRP Board Member, 2015 NDPA National Lifesaver of the Year Award Winner
- March 14, 2013 – Presented at the NDPA’s Symposium in Ft. Lauderdale, FL
- November 1, 2012 – Presented at the2nd International Rip Current Symposium in Sydney, Australia
- September 3, 2012 – Winner of the “Outstanding Service to the Great Lakes Community” award presented by the Dairyland Surf Classic
- March 9, 2012 – Presentedat the NDPA’s 11th Annual Symposium in San Diego, CA
- March 8, 2012 – GLSRP Executive Director, Bob Pratt, “National Lifesaver of the Year”award winner
Dave Benjamin’s Water Safety Promise Video
- Tracks the Great Lakes drowning statistics
- Teaches “Great Lakes Water Safety” classes (List of classes to date)
- Hosts Surf Lifeguard Certification courses, and
- Works with family and friends of Great Lakes drowning victims to advocate water safety.
In Memory of Matthew Kocher
If you must know only one thing about water safety, know what drowning looks like. Know it to spot someone in trouble or for you to recognize that you, yourself, are drowning.
Once you understand what drowning looks like, know how to survive when you get in water over your head. Know how to float. Know that anything that floats may save a life.
Know the Great Lakes “Dangerous Currents” and know that they work in concert. Dangerous currents include Longshore Currents, Outlet Currents, Rip Currents, Structural Currents, and not pictured, Offshore Winds & Upwelling.