FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Great Lakes Surf Rescue Project
Dave Benjamin, Executive Director, 708-903-0166, email@example.com
Bob Pratt, Executive Director of Education, 517-643-2553, firstname.lastname@example.org
68 Great Lakes Drownings in 2017; 33 in Lake Michigan
605 Great Lakes Drownings since 2010; 284 in Lake Michigan
GREAT LAKES, USA – The Great Lakes Surf Rescue Project (GLSRP) announces its current drowning statistics. In 2017, the GLSRP is tracking 68 Great Lakes drownings. Overall since 2010, the GLSRP has tracked 605 Great Lakes drownings. Full statistics here (74 drownings in 2010; 87 in 2011; 101 in 2012, 67 in 2013, 54 in 2014, 55 in 2015, 99 in 2016, and 68 to date in 2017). Note: * = (+/-) Awaiting 100% confirmation of drowning.
In August Lake Michigan had 8 drownings and Lake Superior had 5 drownings.
“Please be safe on the Great Lakes this holiday weekend,” said Dave Benjamin, GLSRP executive director. “There are always hazards around any body of water.”
“Water safety is not ‘common sense’ yet it is assumed to be ‘common sense’. Don’t let this fun-filled family weekend become a tragedy. Everyone should know these water safety tips and these “I didn’t know” facts about water safety.”
ABOUT THE GLSRP
The Great Lakes Surf Rescue Project, Inc. (GLSRP) is a nonprofit 501c3 corporation that is about saving lives.
- Tracks the Great Lakes drowning statistics (605+ drownings since 2010)
- Performs “Great Lakes Water Safety” presentations and trainings (Over 472 in 7 of the 8 Great Lakes states since 2011)
- Works with family and friends of Great Lakes drowning victims to advocate water safety.
- Hosts Open Water Surf Lifeguard Training and First Responder In-service Training
Mission: To eradicate drownings by being the leader of Great Lakes water safety by providing training, public preparedness, and public awareness.
Vision: Everyone in the Great Lakes region, nationwide and worldwide, is knowledgeable, engaged and proactive in water safety with an emphasis on the Great Lakes region.
- WGN Chicago’s Very Own segment, “Man makes water safety education his life’s passion”
- Dave Benjamin’s drowning accident and ‘Because I said I would’ water safety promise video
- John & Kathy Kocher’s “Gentle Giant” ‘Because I said I would promise video.
Like GLSRP’s Facebook Page
Follow GLSRP on Twitter @ripcurrentsafeT