Giving Tuesday – Please Join the Great Lakes Surf Rescue Project!
This Tuesday, 7:00 a.m. CST
The Gates Foundation will be Matching Donations
Your support is what keeps the Great Lakes Surf Rescue Project going.
- Great Lakes drownings will go uncounted.
- Great Lakes water safety school presentations will not exist.
- Families of drowning victims will lose a valuable resource to advocate water safety.
- Open Water Surf Lifeguard Training may not exist and many lifeguard programs may be terminated altogether.
We really do need you!
Please join the GLSRP this Tuesday, November 28, beginning at 7:00 a.m. CST.
Bonus! The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation will match up to $2 million in donations to nonprofits nationwide that are made through “Facebook Nonprofit Pages” or “Facebook Individual Fundraisers”.
Only the donations received on “#GivingTuesday” after 7:00 a.m. CST will qualify for the match.
The donations will be matched nationwide until the $2 million in matching funds run out.
THREE WAYS TO GIVE
- Through our GLSRP Facebook Nonprofit Page. Click Here (Up to $50K Match)
- Through our GLSRP Facebook Individual Fundraisers. Listed below. (Up to $1K Match Per Individual Fundraiser)
- Create your own Facebook Individual Fundraiser and designate the Great Lakes Surf Rescue Project as the Beneficiary
1. “FACEBOOK NONPROFIT PAGES” $50K Match
The Gates Foundation will match up to $50,000 per nonprofit. You can donate directly to the Great Lakes Surf Rescue Project at www.facebook.com/glsrp/ and then click on the Blue “DONATE” Button.
2. “FACEBOOK INDIVIDUAL FUNDRAISERS”
The Gates Foundation will match up to $1,000 per “Facebook Individual Fundraiser”. Please donate below to one of the fundraisers:
Dave Benjamin’s Fundraiser Page: https://www.facebook.com/donate/1472693669452346/
Dave Benjamin’s Fundraiser Post: https://www.facebook.com/dave.benjamin/posts/10156818089538572
Bob Pratt’s Fundraiser Page: https://www.facebook.com/donate/296707247502058/
Christine Forystek’s Fundraiser (Mother of Cory McFry, 15): https://www.facebook.com/donate/1930572740527520/
3. “CREATE YOUR OWN INDIVIDUAL FUNDRAISER FOR GLSRP
You can create your own individual fundraiser and designate the Great Lakes Surf Rescue Project as the beneficiary.
For each individual fundraiser created, the Gates Foundation will match up to $1,000.
The Gates Foundation will match up to $50,000 per nonprofit. So if the GLSRP has 50 individuals each raise $1,000, then the GLSRP may receive the $50,000 match.
TO CREATE A FUNDRAISER FOR THE GLSRP
- Click this link: https://www.facebook.com/fundraisers/ (The Fundraisers tab is also in the left menu of your Facebook Home page News Feed)
- Scroll down and Click on “Raise Money”
- Select “Nonprofit”
- Type in “Great Lakes Surf Rescue Project”
- Set a goal of $1,000 [It’s the maximum the Gates Foundation will Match]
- Tell Your Story – Why are you supporting the GLSRP?
- Choose a cover photo and fill in the fundraiser details. If you want to upload a new photo, Click on the Edit tab on the picture.
- Click Create
- Invite your Facebook Friends to donate on Tuesday, November 28, 7 a.m. CST
- Start your fundraiser by making a small donation
- Share your fundraiser on your Page several times throughout the morning
- Share your fundraiser in your Facebook Groups
ABOUT THE GLSRP
The Great Lakes Surf Rescue Project, Inc. (GLSRP) is a nonprofit 501c3 corporation that is about saving lives. Nonprofit Tax ID Number: 45-5616079
- Tracks the Great Lakes drowning statistics (622+ drownings since 2010)
- Performs “Great Lakes Water Safety” presentations and trainings (Over 485 in 7 of the 8 Great Lakes states since 2011)
- Works with family and friends of Great Lakes drowning victims to advocate water safety.
- Hosts Open Water Surf Lifeguard Training and First Responder In-service Training
Mission: To eradicate drownings by being the leader of Great Lakes water safety by providing training, public preparedness, and public awareness.
Vision: Everyone in the Great Lakes region, nationwide and worldwide, is knowledgeable, engaged and proactive in water safety with an emphasis on the Great Lakes region.
- WGN Chicago’s Very Own segment, “Man makes water safety education his life’s passion”
- Dave Benjamin’s drowning accident and ‘Because I said I would’ water safety promise video
- John & Kathy Kocher’s “Gentle Giant” ‘Because I said I would promise video.