The Great Lakes Surf Rescue Project, Inc. (GLSRP) is about saving lives. It is a nonprofit corporation that is a Chapter of the National Drowning Prevention Alliance (NDPA) that tracks drowning statistics and teaches “Water Safety Surf Rescue” classes, and leads the “Third Coast Ocean Force” rip current awareness campaign on the Great Lakes. Become a member of the Great Lakes Surf Rescue Project.
The GLSRP presented at the NDPA’s 12th Annual Symposium, March 14, 2013, in Ft. Lauderdale, FL. It presented at the 2nd International Rip Current Symposium Nov. 1st, 2012 in Sydney, Australia; the 2012 winner of the “Outstanding Service to the Great Lakes Community” award presented by the Dairyland Surf Classic; the 2011 “Lifesaver of the Year” award winner; and presented at the NDPA’s 11th Annual Symposium in San Diego, March 9, 2012.
SAFETY TIPS – What everyone should know before they put their toes on the beach:
- When in doubt, don’t go out!
- Know the 1-10-1 Rule of Hypothermia (especially in fall, winter, and spring)
- Know the Signs of Drowning
- Know the Michigan Sea Grants “Flip, Float, and Follow” Rip Current Survival Strategy
- GLSRP Water Safety Illustrations
- Know the Great Lakes Dangerous Currents
- Drowning Terms to Discontinue
- GLSRP Drowning Statistics