15 Great Lakes Drownings in 2021
962 Great Lakes Drownings since 2010
(Last updated 05/07/2021, 11:00 p.m.)
OVERVIEW OF GREAT LAKES DROWNINGS
74 drownings in 2010
88 in 2011
99 in 2012
67 in 2013
54 in 2014
55 in 2015
99 in 2016
88 in 2017
117 in 2018
97 in 2019
109 in 2020
15 to date in 2021
962 since 2010
2020 = 109
Lake Michigan = 56 (+4 unknown condition)
Lake Superior = 2
Lake Huron = 11
Lake Erie = 19
Lake Ontario = 21 (+1 unknown condition +1 missing)
LAKE MICHIGAN = 6
- 01/21/2021– GARDEN TOWNSHIP, MI – ICE FISHING – Edward Carl Lester, M-64, of Garden was recovered Thursday afternoon from the waters of Lake Michigan in what Michigan Department of Natural Resources conservation officers said was an accidental drowning. Lester’s wife contacted a neighbor to help look for her husband when he did not return from his routine fishing trip at his normal time, around 10 a.m. Using binoculars to scan the water, the neighbor could see an object floating near Kates Bay on Big Bay De Noc, offshore of Garden. The neighbor called 911 dispatchers at 1:46 p.m. First responders arrived and could see a body floating in the water near what appeared to be a pressure crack that formed in the ice, exposing about 10- to 15-feet of water. Using their department-issued equipment to safely get onto the ice, Conservation Officer Chris Lynch and Brett Bednarski, a local firefighter who also works as a DNR fire officer, were able to reach Lester’s body, which was located at arm’s length in the water. EMS, in consultation with the county medical examiner, pronounced Lester dead at the scene. Officers said Lester had been operating his off-road vehicle either to or from his ice shanty, which was located on the far side of the ice floe that had been separated by the pressure crack. It appeared he had navigated his ORV into the open water, where his ORV sank 10- to 15-feet.
- 03/26/2021– CHICAGO, IL – Calumet Beach, 9800 block of South Avenue G, Jerald Piendak of Gresham, M-late 20s , he was initially taken in critical condition to Trinity Hospital where he was later pronounced dead.
- 03/28/2021– ST. JOSEPH, MI – PIER WASHOFF 5:30 P.M. – WAVES & DANGEROUS CURRENTS – Dakota Yergeau, M-27, Two men were on the pier at Silver Beach in St. Joseph when the wave swept both of them into Lake Michigan around 5:30 p.m. Sunday. One of the two was able to get back up on the pier and tossed a life ring to his friend still in the water. Friend grabbed on momentarily, he was about 70 yards off the pier, he was able to pull him about 20 yards when he lost grip and went underneath the water.
- 04/18/2021– MANITOWOC – BOATING – John Doe, M-47 – Manitowoc Fire Rescue Department personnel responded to the north pier, or Blue Rail, at 475 Maritime Drive in Manitowoc at around 7:30 a.m. Sunday for the report of a man in the water in need of assistance. The first arriving officers met with the caller on the north containment area, where they were able to see a person in the water. Additional officers responded to the Manitowoc Marina, where they accessed a boat that was being launched by an off-duty detective. Fire Rescue personnel also responded with their boat along with Rescue Squad personnel. Police located the man in the water, began life-saving measures and took the man to the beach on the north side of the entryway to the north pier. The man was then taken to an area hospital, where he later died. An officer later found the man’s boat just off the beach area, directly across from Dairy Queen in the 800 block of Memorial Drive.
- 05/01/2021– MISSING – NEAR EAST CHICAGO, IN – Kelvin Soto Crespo M-20, of Puerto Rico, 18-foot Bayliner runabout capsized. He was not wearing a life vest. Strong winds. The Coast Guard says two of the boaters were treated for hypothermia and the third is in critical condition.
- 05/07/2021– CHICAGO – BODY RECOVERED – NEAR NAVY PIER– The body of a woman was recovered from Lake Michigan near Navy Pier Friday morning. Police and fire crews were called to the 600 block of East Grand Avenue around 6:25 a.m., according to Chicago Police. They recovered the body of a woman, believed to be in her 30s. No other details were released. Police said detectives were conducting a death investigation.
LAKE SUPERIOR = 0
LAKE HURON = 3
3 DIE SNOMOBILING – LAKE HURON’S STURGEON BAY
01/17/2021 – Victoria Harbour — FATHER & SON –
- Jereld Bremner, M-49 &
- Donald Bremner, M-19. The initial search began Sunday evening after residents reported hearing screams for help coming from the water near Robins Point Road and Osborne Street.
- Harbour William Fournier, M-40, Midland Point Penetanguishene,
LAKE ERIE = 4
- 02/01/2021– LORAIN COUNTY, OH — Nathan Orona, M-20, last seen on Feb. 1 in Lorain County. The body was pulled from Lake Erie, 03/28/2021.His friend, Alaina Camacho, F-18, is still missing. Investigators said Tuesday they believe the deaths of two friends found in Lake Erie were the result of an accident.
- 02/01/2021– LORAIN, OH – Alaina Camacho’s, F-18, Her body was pulled from water on Monday, 03/27/2021. Camacho, 18, was last seen on Feb. 1. She was spotted that day with Nathan Orona, 20, whose body was pulled from Lake Erie on Sunday. After Orona’s body was found, divers and a heavy wreck reclamation team were called to comb the waters for Camacho and her gold car. Both were found and pulled from Lake Erie on Monday. Lorain County authorities say they believe the deaths of two friends, whose bodies were discovered in Lake Erie nearly two months after they disappeared, were the result of a tragic accident.
- 02/02/2021– MISSING – Rabin Subedi, M-21, Authorities are continuing to search for an Erie-area man whose family reported him missing on Friday night after he failed to complete a planned trip to Ohio. Searches of Lake Erie and Presque Isle Bay were conducted over the weekend after police located Subedi’s car parked at Lampe Marina in east Erie. The U.S. Coast Guard used a helicopter in the search. A public affairs official with U.S. Coast Guard Sector Buffalo said Monday that searches of the water were done by boat and by helicopter, but nothing was found. The searches are suspended at this time pending the development of more information, the official said. Local fire departments that respond to issues and emergencies on the water were also called in over the weekend to assist in the search.
- 02/20/2021– LUNA PIER, MI – Michael Hilsenbeck, M-?, The body of Michael Hilsenbeck was found in Allens Cove by two men fishing from a boat late Thursday night. The night fishermen were in the marsh area spear fishing when they noticed the body floating in the water.
05/06/2021 – BODY RECOVERED – The body was found in an area that search teams scoured over several days in late March and early April in an effort to locate Millcreek Township resident Rabin Subedi, whose family reported him missing on March 26. The search for Subedi, 21, centered on that area because his car was found abandoned near Lampe Marina, off Port Access Road and west of where the body was found, hours after he was reported missing. According to Millcreek police, Subedi left his home in the township on March 26 with plans to travel to Kent, Ohio, to visit his girlfriend. After leaving home Subedi stopped in Erie to get a haircut, investigators said. Investigators learned that later that night, Subedi’s car arrived in the area of Lampe Marina off Port Access Road, west of where the body was discovered on Thursday.
LAKE ONTARIO = 2
- 01/16/2021– OSHAWA – FAREWELL STREET & HARBOR ROAD – Durham Regional Police are investigating after a body was found in Lake Ontario in Oshawa Saturday morning. Police say human remains were located in the water just after 10:30 a.m. near Farewell Street and Harbour Road. The death does not appear to be suspicious at this time, police say. The investigation is ongoing.
- 03/05/2021– BOWMANVILLE – John Doe, ?-?, Durham police are investigating after a body was discovered on the ice near Cedar Crest Beach Road in Bowmanville. Officers got the call just before 1 p.m. on Friday, after someone reported seeing what appeared to be a body out on Lake Ontario.
109 Great Lakes Drownings in 2020
56 of those in Lake Michigan
947 Great Lakes Drownings since 2010
(Last updated 12/25/2020, 11:00 p.m.)
OVERVIEW OF GREAT LAKES DROWNINGS
74 drownings in 2010
88 in 2011
99 in 2012
67 in 2013
54 in 2014
55 in 2015
99 in 2016
88 in 2017
117 in 2018
97 in 2019
109 to date in 2020
947 since 2010
2020 = 109
Lake Michigan = 56 (+4 unknown condition)
Lake Superior = 2
Lake Huron = 11
Lake Erie = 18
Lake Ontario = 21 (+1 unknown condition)
2019 = 97
Lake Michigan = 48
Lake Superior = 5
Lake Huron = 8
Lake Erie = 28
Lake Ontario = 9
In addition to the confirmed drownings, there are an additional 3 drowning incidents where the victims were last listed as “Critical Condition,” “Unknown Condition,” “Serious Condition,” or “Missing”. The GLSRP is awaiting updates on these incidences.
LAKE MICHIGAN = 56 (Plus 4 unknown condition)
- 01/01/2020 – HOLLAND, MI – SWEPT OFF PIER – Eliza Trainer, F-16, walking on the Holland State Park pier about 11:30 p.m. on Wednesday when a large wave knocked Trainer and a friend into the water. One friend was able to climb out of the water and seek help, but 16-year-old Eliza Trainer was swept away and is presumed to have drowned. Her body was recovered on 03/19/2020.
- 02/19/2020 – ST. JOSEPH, MI – Jane Doe, F-55, Her body washed up on shore at Tiscornia Park in St. Joseph, Michigan. The Asian female was wearing a green jacket and sweatpants and matched the description of a woman missing from Chicago, Illinois.
- 02/25/2020 – MUSKEGON, MI – Ramal Roby, M-30, of Muskegon Heights. It’s believed he drowned Tuesday night after venturing onto unstable ice. Roby and a woman had parked their car at a road-closed barricade near the city’s water filtration plant. The man walked out onto the ice from there and never came back. His body was recovered 03/26/2020. The cause of death was determined to be accidental drowning.
- 05/05/2020 – CHICAGO, IL – Everett Chinn Jr., M-28, Person found dead in Lake Michigan near Grant Park. The male was found about 4:45 p.m. in the water near Balbo Drive.
- 05/16/2020 – CHICAGO, IL – Armando Carrasquillo, M-41, was pronounced dead May 26 at Northwestern Memorial Hospital. On 05/16/2020 he fell into DuSable Harbor in Lake Michigan at the 200 block of North Lakefront Drive.
- 06/02/2020 – MILWAUKEE – MCKINLEY BEACH – TUESDAY EVENING – John Doe, M-?, Tuesday night first responders searched Lake Michigan for two missing swimmers. They made it out and are safe. But a third person who was searching for them on a boat also went missing. The next day a man was pulled from the water at McKinley Beach Wednesday, June 3 around 7 a.m. Upon arrival, deputies observed that the man had already been removed from the water. The MFD performed life-saving measures on the man but the man was subsequently pronounced deceased. Emergency responders could be seen giving the man CPR for more than 30 minutes.
- 06/06/2020 – HOLLAND, MI – PIER JUMPING & SWIMMING – NO LIFEGUARDS – Christian Ngabo, M-17, Ottawa County and the US Coast Guard are searching near the pier at Holland State Park for an 18 year-old missing in the water. Two people jumped off the pier just before 4 p.m. Saturday. One of them made it to shore, but the other hasn’t been seen since. 06/07/2020 – BODY RECOVERED.
- 06/06/2020 – HOLLAND, MI – PLAYING IN THE WAVES/SWIMMING – NO LIFEGUARDS – Iain Rowe, M-6, He was in waist deep water and playing in the waves when he disappeared.
- 06/02/2020 – CHICAGO, IL – Richard Holic, M-72, of Rogers Park – The body pulled from the water near the mouth of Belmont Harbor was identified as Richard Holic. Holic went missing while canoeing in Lake Michigan near the 1200 block of West Chase Avenue in Rogers Park.
- 06/16/2020 – SOUTH HAVEN, MI – NO LIFEGUARDS – Jazmyn Patterson, F-19, Jazmyn Patterson was atop a flotation device with her 4-year-old cousin. “They just started floating further and further away,” said Jamesha Mabrey, Jazmyn’s sister. That’s when Mabrey told her sister to come back towards shore. “On the way back, she sat up on the edge of the floaty to paddle, and that’s when she flipped over,” said Mabrey. Both went underwater, but Jazmyn was able to push her cousin towards shore. People on shore managed to rescue the 4-year-old thereafter, but Jazmyn went under water. A good samaritan on a boat brought Jazmyn back to shore, where life-saving measures were attempted. 08/2019 Petition for lifeguards in South Haven. 08/07/2013 South Haven Settles drowning lawsuit.
- 06/23/2020 – CHESTERTON, IN – SWIMMING – NO LIFEGUARDS ON DUTY – Porter Beach/Indiana Dunes State Park – SWIMMING – NO LIFEGUARDS ON DUTY – Dominic Snovicky, of Plainfield., M-18, witnesses said the teen was hit by a wave and was underwater for about an hour and a half. Officials said there was a beach hazard warning for high waves and dangerous swimming conditions at the time, with wave heights forecast at 3 to 6 feet and strong rip currents expected. There was also no lifeguard on duty at the time, the Department of Natural Resources said. Lifeguards do not start their shifts until 11 a.m.
- 07/04/2020 – SLEEPING BEAR DUNES – SWIMMING TO SANDBAR – Corban Tyler Ferris, M-19 of Holt, MI. The teen was swimming with his family when he spotted a sandbar about 60 yards from shore. He managed to swim out and reach it, but the trip back proved more tenuous. Two family members went into the water to try and help him. They were unable to and he went under. U.S. Coast Guard officials pulled the teen from about 8 feet of water and couldn’t revive him with CPR.
- 07/05/2020 – ZION, IL – ILLINOIS BEACH STATE PARK – SWIMMING – NO LIFEGUARDS – John Doe, M-27, A man is dead after going under the water at a beach in north suburban Zion Sunday. First responders said good Samaritans were performing CPR on the 27-year-old when they arrived at the scene. The man was taken to a local hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
- 07/06/2020 – EVANSTON, IL – SWIMMING – Marcos Quito, M-31, of Chicago’s Austin neighborhood on the West Side, was pulled from the water Monday at Clark Street Beach in the 1800 block of Sheridan Road near the Northwestern University campus. The beach was closed, and rangers were trying to get people out of the water with the help of police, when they noticed somebody was not swimming properly around 8:30 p.m.
- 07/06/20202 – GRAND TRAVERSE COUNTY, MI – SWIMMING – John Doe, M-47 of Kalkaska, was on his boat with his girlfriend around 3 p.m. on Monday when he noticed his jet ski was no longer tied to his boat. He decided to jump in the water to retrieve the vessel but slipped beneath the water out of view from his girlfriend, who called 911.
- 07/07/2020 – CHICAGO, IL – SWIMMING OFF BOAT – Ameera Muhammad , F-24, She went missing while swimming with family and friends off a boat in Lake Michigan. There were 12 to 16 people on the boat at the time of the incident. The swimmers were not wearing safety vests. Emergency officials said the incident could have been avoided if life preservers had been worn. “They were swimming about 40 to 50 feet off the break walls, and that’s when the winds kicked up and pushed that vessel into the wall,” Lach said.
- 07/09/2020 – GARY, IN – WADING ON SANDBAR / DROPOFF – Jarail C. Lee Jr, M-12, of Glenwood, IL at Marquette Park in Gary, IN. Eyewitnesses told WGN News they saw the family walking parallel to the beach about 15 feet offshore, in knee to waist deep water around 5:15 p.m. The witnesses said the family suddenly dropped off a sand bar and were in water over their heads. “The entire family began to struggle all together,” Tyler Brock, spokesperson for the Indiana Department of Natural Resources said. “While they were struggling, one of the family members noticed a 12-year-old male was no longer at the surface.” This beach was open and lifeguards were on duty. There were no advisories for rough water. That family had only been here about a half-hour before the incident. Officials said they did not have life vests on. Officials stress beachgoers who cannot swim, even while wading in shallow water, should wear life vests given the uneven conditions on the lake floor.
- 07/12/2020 – SOUTH HAVEN, MI – RED FLAG, WAVES, SWIMMING – Jaedon Odunuga-Evans, M-20, of Lansing, MI; Crews responded to the North Beach around 9:20 p.m. Sunday. A friend who was with the man had reported him missing.
- 07/12/2020 – ST. JOSEPH, MI – LIONS PARK BEACH – SWIMMING – Danely Lopez, F-32, Two sisters, ages 29 and 32 from Illinois, were in the water when they went into deep water and struggled to get out. Several bystanders helped get them out of the water. Both women were taken to the hospital. The 29-year-old was treated and released. The 32-year-old woman was in critical condition and died 07/15/2020
- 07/16/2020 – CHICAGO, IL – SWIMMING – John Doe, M-25, Swimmer dies after going underwater for 40 minutes in Lake Michigan at Promontory Point in the 5500 block of South Lake Shore Drive.
- 07/19/2020 – GRAND HAVEN, MI – NO LIFEGUARDS – SWIMMING – WAVES & DANGEROUS CURRENTS – Johnny Arroyo, M-14, Submerged around 3:40 p.m. Sunday. Beachgoers formed a human chain leading out into the water in an attempt to assist in the efforts.
- 07/18/2020 – MILWAUKEE, WI – MCKINLEY BEACH – WAVES & DANGEROUS CURRENTS – BYSTANDER WOULD-BE RESCUER – Jvaris Bankhead, M-19, around 8:40 p.m. three family members were wading in the water of McKinley Beach, two of whom were children. Due to the size of waves, the children were having a hard time getting to shore and the adult male in the water with them went farther in to help them get to shore. The adult male assisted one of the family members to shore before being swept under the water by large waves. The second child made it to shore safely. The Milwaukee Fire Department’s Dive Rescue Team as well as the Milwaukee Police Department arrived at the scene and assisted in the search for the adult male.
- 07/30/2020 – NEW BUFFALO, MI – WAVES & DANGEROUS CURRENTS – LIFEGUARDS OFF DUTY – around 7:30 – John Doe, M-24, from Villa Ridge, Missouri, p.m. he disappeared near the break wall. New Buffalo Police Marine Division, US Coast Guard, Chikaming Township Fire Department Water Rescue Unit, New Buffalo Fire Departments, Berrien County Sheriff’s, Pokagon Tribal Police, and the Michiana Police Department. The USCG helicopter and the NBPD UAV were also used to do aerial searches for the missing subject.
- 07/30/2020 – ST. JOSEPH, MI – NO LIFEGUARDS –WAVES & DANGEROUS CURRENTS – around 8:08 p.m. – Brent Coursen, M-44, of Lakeview, IN, drowned attempting to save his children, ages 17 and 12 at Lions Park Beach
- 07/30/2020 – SAWYER, MI – NO LIFEGUARDS– WAVES & DANGEROUS CURRENTS – around 9 p.m. – Saralise T. Perry, F-13, of Otsego, MI, the girl disappeared in the waves at Warren Dunes State Park.
- 08/03/2020 – CHICAGO – DIVERSEY HARBOR – 4:00 P.M. – NO LIFEGUARDS – NO RESCUE EQUIPMENT ALONG LAKESHORE – – Patrick Tedeski, , M-15, Four boats in the water, one helicopter, one scuba team, searching the water. Chicago Fire Department divers are searching for a teen who apparently fell into Lake Michigan Monday afternoon. According to CFD officials, the man was reported to have fallen into the water in Diversey Harbor Monday afternoon. Divers are currently searching the lake, but there is no word on whether they have located the individual. Search efforts are being complicated by high waves and strong currents, as a lakeshore flood advisory has been issued for counties along Lake Michigan Monday afternoon. Coupled with record-high water levels, rescuers are having to battle the waves and conditions in their search.
- 08/04/2020 – SHEBOYGAN, WI – DELAND PARK – around 11:30 a.m. – John Doe, M-?, A kayaker capsized and submerged. He was recovered by rescue swimmers. CPR performed on shore. Transported to hospital where he was pronounced deceased. In addition to fire and police departments, the Coast Guard and Sheboygan County Dive Team responded to the incident.
- 08/08/2020 – MILWAUKEE, WI – MCKINLEY BEACH – WOULD BE RESCUER – DANGEROUS CURRENTS – Saturday, 6:30 p.m. – Jesse Brock, M-50, two 14-year-olds became caught in a current in the Lake Michigan waters sometime before 6:30 p.m. A 50-year-old man observed their struggles and entered the water to try to help. He was able to rescue one boy, who made it to shore. But the good Samaritan and the other boy submerged. The 14-year-old boy died Friday night. The 50-year-old man died Sunday morning. Milwaukee Fire Department divers entered the water with the assistance of an MFD rescue boat, a Milwaukee Police Department rescue boat, The Milwaukee County Sheriff as well as the U.S. Coast Guard to look for the two swimmers still missing.
- 08/08/2020 – MILWAUKEE, WI – MCKINLEY BEACH – SWIMMING – DANGEROUS CURRENTS – Saturday, 6:30 p.m. – Tony Bishop,, M-14, two teenage boys and one adult male were pulled from the water. The 14-year-old boy died Friday night. The 50-year-old man died Sunday morning. Milwaukee Fire Department divers entered the water with the assistance of an MFD rescue boat, a Milwaukee Police Department rescue boat, The Milwaukee County Sheriff as well as the U.S. Coast Guard to look for the two swimmers still missing.
- 08/08/2020 – WILMETTE, IL, GILLSON PARK, Saturday, shortly before 4 p.m., Ankit Zutski, M-31, a resident of Chicago’s Lakeview neighborhood died one day after he was recovered from Lake Michigan. Lifeguards and witnesses had pulled him from the lake and started performing CPR by the time paramedics arrived.
- 08/12/2020 – CHICAGO, IL, 59TH STREET HARBOR – Jane Doe, F-45, She died after falling off a boat just after midnight Wednesday. She slipped as she was climbing out of the boat.
- 08/14/2020 – MICHIGAN CITY, IN – SWIMMING – BYSTANDER RESCUE – Taylor Wilson, M-38 or 39 – Wilson was found face down in the water about 7 p.m. Friday between Stops 5 and 6, 600 Lakeshore Dr. He was pulled from the water by bystanders, CPR was started by bystanders. He was reportedly staying at beach rental house. He was taken to the hospital in critical condition, where he later died.
- 08/16/2020 – PORTAGE, IN, PORTAGE LAKEFRONT & RIVERWALK, 11:00 A.M., SUNDAY – NO LIFEGUARDS – BYSTANDER RESCUE – WAVES & DANGEROUS CURRENTS – Mohammed Obied, M-16, of Bridgeview, IL – a group of five male teens from Illinois were swimming at the lakefront. The teen is missing and his body was recovered Monday morning.
- 08/16/2020 – PORTAGE, IN, PORTAGE LAKEFRONT & RIVERWALK, 11:00 A.M., SUNDAY –– NO LIFEGUARDS – BYSTANDER RESCUE – WAVES & DANGEROUS CURRENTS – Yousef Saleh, M-18, of Bridgeview, IL, a group of five male teens from Illinois were swimming at the lakefront around 11 a.m. Sunday. He was found floating in the water and was pulled from the water with assistance from a bystander on a wave runner. He was transported to Porter Regional Hospital in critical condition where he later died 08/18/2020.
- 08/16/2020 – PORTER, IN, PORTER BEACH, 3:00 P.M., SUNDAY – NO LIFEGUARDS – BYSTANDER RESCUE – WAVES & DANGEROUS CURRENTS – Moath Nagi, M-21, of Rockford, IL – The 21-year-old man, was transported to Porter Regional Hospital from Porter Beach on Sunday and died in the intensive care unit at 11:54 p.m. Moath Nagi is remembered by friends.
- 08/20/2020 – MACKINAC COUNTY, MI, SAND DUNES BEACH, 4 P.M. – BYSTANDER RESCUE – WAVES & DANGEROUS CURRENTS – Taylor McNamee, M-28 – A 28-year-old woman died, and a 13-year-old was rescued after the pair were seen far from shore in Lake Michigan on Thursday. The victims were swimming near Sand Dunes Beach near US-2 and the Dunes just west of Pointe Aux Chenes Road in the Upper Peninsula around 4 p.m. when they were spotted by onlookers who called 911. The 13-year-old was helped to shore by two bystanders.
- 08/23/2020 – CHICAGO, IL – JACKSON HARBOR – Brian Wiles, M-?, According to police, Wiles went missing from the group he was with at Jackson Harbor on Sunday. Search teams scanned the area around the harbor into the night. The Chicago Police Marine Unit found him in the water around 9 p.m. Wiles was rushed to the University of Chicago Medical Center but was pronounced dead.
- 08/25/2020 – FRANKFORT, MI – SWIMMING – Igor Burlak, M-26, of Amelia, Ohio tragically drowned in Lake Michigan while on vacation with his family in Frankfort, Michigan. He was found unconscious in the water and was apparently underwater for more than 20 minutes. His parents and sister, along with police, rushed him to the Munson Medical Center hospital and found a small pulse. That same night, at the hospital, he had two cardiac arrests, as well as 6 to 7 heart attacks. He was on a ventilator to keep pumping oxygen into his lungs, but the doctors say he is already brain dead after losing oxygen for so long. Short media mention of drowning incident on 08/30/2020 incident. GoFundMe Page for funeral and burial expenses.
- 08/25/2020 – CHICAGO, IL – MONROE HARBOR, 4:25 P.M. – Carlton Hughes, M-41, Divers on Tuesday afternoon recovered the body of a person who drowned at Monroe Harbor in Lake Michigan. The person went underwater in the harbor and did not come back up. he was pulled from Monroe Harbor Tuesday near the Museum Campus, 700 block of South Lake Shore Drive. He was taken to Northwestern Memorial Hospital, where he died about 2:30 p.m. Wednesday.
- 08/30/2020 – CHICAGO, IL, MONROE HARBOR, 6:05 P.M. – SWIMMING OFF BOAT – Clarence “CJ” Weaver, M-32 – He and his friends rented a pontoon boat Sunday. “He was swimming out and got carried away by the water.” Divers search for the body of man who fell into Monroe Harbor – The 32-year-old fell off a boat about 6:05 p.m. into the harbor in the 400 block of East Monroe Street and never resurfaced.
- 08/30/2020 – CHICAGO, IL – MONROE HARBOR – SWIMMING OFF BOAT – Clarence “CJ” Weaver M-32, He and his friends rented a pontoon boat Sunday. “He was swimming out and got carried away by the water.”
- 09/06/2020 – SOUTH HAVEN, MICHIGAN – SOUTH BEACH, 4:30 P.M. – NO LIFEGUARDS – WAVES & DANGEROUS CURRENTS – SWIMMING – Brandon Chambers, M-18, South Haven Area Emergency Services responded to the city’s South Beach around 4:30 p.m. on a report of two men in distress at a buoy in the swimming area. Responders noticed a teen clinging to the buoy about 100 yards away from shore. A SHAES responder and South Haven Police officer reached the teen who said his friend tried swimming back to shore but went under the water and did not resurface
- 09/06/2020 – CHICAGO, IL – JUMPED OFF BOAT – John Doe, M-52, According to Chicago police, around 10:00 p.m. the man was on a boat in the harbor in the 9800-block of S Avenue G at Calumet Park Beach when he was in a verbal altercation with another individual on the boat and threatened to jump in the water. The 52-year-old man then jumped and disappeared into the water while the boat returned to a harbor in Indiana to report the incident to police, CPD said.
- 09/07/2020 – MICHIGAN CITY, IN – WASHINGTON PARK, 2 p.m.- WAVES & DANGEROUS CURRENTS – NO LIFEGUARDS – Jane Doe, F-16, of New Haven, IN – The teenager was reported missing in the water while swimming with family near the Michigan City lighthouse pier. The girl’s body was recovered by members of the Michigan City Fire Department about 50 minutes later.
- 09/08/2020 – Jane Doe, F-?, A female body washed ashore at Evanston’s Dempster Beach, 1251 Lake Shore Boulevard
- 09/10/2020 – CHICAGO, IL – OAK STREET BEACH, 1:40 A.M. – Peter Lekas, M-20, of Albany Park – According to police, around 1:40 a.m. the 20-year-old was walking with two friends in the 1000 block of North Lake Shore Drive when he decided to jump in the water. Chicago Police Marine Unit officers were able to rescover the man from the water. He was taken to Northwestern Memorial Hospital in critical condition but died hours later.
- 09/11/2020 – CHICAGO, IL – NEAR 87th STREET, 1:50 p.m. – Jane Doe, F-20’s. A Fire Department helicopter deployed two divers into the water, and the divers brought her to shore, where other firefighters and Chicago Police Department Marine Unit officers helped pull her from the water. She was taken to Trinity Hospital in critical condition and cardiac arrest.
- 09/13/2020 – CHICAGO, IL – 39TH STREET BEACH – Body Recovered From Water At 39th Street Beach
- 09/13/2020– BRIDGMAN, MI – WEKO BEACH – SWIMMING – 1:12 P.M., Jane Doe, F-14, the girl was unresponsive after being pulled out by a bystander and another bystander began C.P.R. Officers continued administering C.P.R. until she was transported to Spectrum Health Lakeland in St. Joseph by Medic-1 ambulance. The girl was then air-lifted to Devos Children’s Hospital in Grand Rapids where she died. Both girls are from Illinois.
- 09/20/2020– FRANKFORT, MI – PIER WASHOFF – “DREAM FAMILY VACATION = TRAGEDY” – Lane Frame, M-12, of Manchester, Tennessee was found next to the Frankfort Pier in about 10 feet of water around 10 a.m. Wednesday. The boy fell in the water while members of the family from Tennessee were walking on the pier as part of a “dream vacation” involving at least 13 people. Two children age 11 and 12 ventured out on to the pier with their 50-year-old aunt. At one point a large wave swept all three into the inner waters of the pier. The aunt was able to retrieve the youngest child and they both climbed out, but Frame was swept out further into the lake and disappeared under the water.
- 09/21/2020– CHICAGO, IL – MONROE HARBOR, 9:15 p.m. – John Doe M-24 – Man, 24, dies after jumping into Lake Michigan at Monroe Harbor
- 09/22/2020 – RACINE, WI – Casey Shaw, M-18. On Sept. 22 the teenager’s vehicle was found parked near the corner of Augusta Street and Michigan Boulevard, above Zoo Beach. On Friday, Oct. 2, someone walking their dog near Zoo Beach reported seeing a body from the shoreline. The investigation is still considered ongoing. An autopsy is scheduled to be completed by Monday in Milwaukee County
- 11/01/2020 – CHICAGO, IL – BODY RECOVERED AT OAKWOOD BEACH ON 11/21/2020 – Devane Gross, F-22, of Riverdale, Gross was last seen in-person leaving her stepmother’s Austin home after spending Halloween with family a few blocks away. The next day, relatives say Gross last answered a call from her mom around 8 a.m. when she failed to return to her Riverdale home. “She answered. She said, ‘Oh mom, I’m at the lakefront. I’m just clearing my head.’ But she also got a call from her stepsister who could actually see she was there at the lake,” Gross’ aunt Krista. Her phone also last pinged near the Shedd Aquarium, according to family. Chicago police say there is no sign of foul play.
- 11/14/2020 – CHICAGO, IL – 2300 BLOCK OF S. LAKE SHORE DRIVE, 1 P.M. – FELL INTO LAKE – John Doe, ?-?, A person fell into Lake Michigan at 2300 block of South Lake Shore Drive shortly after 1 p.m. The victim was rescued and transported to Northwestern Hospital in critical condition. The news later reported that he died.
- 11/15/2020 – MUSKEGON, MI, PERE MARQUETTE PIER – WASHOFF – 10:12 p.m., Sunday – Lance Jenkins, M-29, of Fruitport Township — A Muskegon area man is missing in Lake Michigan after going into the water from the Pere Marquette pier Sunday night. Two men who said they had been on the pier with a third man when strong winds and large waves swept them into the water. The first two men got themselves out of the lake and called 911. Police say the third man, who has been identified as 29-year-old Lance Jenkins of Fruitport Township, was located clinging to rocks on the north side of the south breakwall. Firefighters worked off the pier and by boat while attempting to rescue Jenkins, but police say weather and lake conditions prevented rescue. At the time, winds were gusting over 50 miles per hour and waves were between eight and 12 feet. After several hours of rescue attempts and searching, the rescue was called off Sunday evening due to worsening conditions. BODY RECOVERED on 11/17/2020
- 11/19/2020 – CHICAGO, IL, 57th STREET BEACH – DeNae Nash, F-21, of Waterlooa, IA, The former standout basketball player at East High School, was visiting a friend in Chicago when she somehow ended up in the water. Nash died Tuesday, 11/24/2020, at University of Chicago Medical Center after she was removed from life support, according to her obituary and social media posts from family.
+4 UNKNOWN OR CRITICAL CONDITION
- 07/06/2020 – CHICAGO – SWIMMING – CRITICAL CONDITION – John Doe, M-24, was pulled from the water at the 500 block of South Lake Shore Drive near Buckingham Fountain.
- 07/27/2020 – CHICAGO, IL, DIVERSEY HARBOR – SLIPPED AND FELL IN – John Doe, M-28, A man fell into Lake Michigan on Sunday night near Diversey Harbor after hitting his head on concrete revetment steps. He was last listed in critical condition.
- 08/16/2020 – 1 SERIOUS CONDITION – HOLLAND, MI, HOLLAND STATE PARK, AFTER 6:15 P.M., SUNDAY –– NO LIFEGUARDS – BYSTANDER RESCUE – WAVES & DANGEROUS CURRENTS – John Doe, M-32, of Kentwood, MI – People on personal watercraft were able to pull him to the north pier, where bystanders pulled him out of the water and began CPR. He was not breathing and did not seem to have a pulse. As the Holland First Responders arrived on scene, the man had been revived, but was still having breathing trouble. He was rushed to Holland Hospital in serious condition, though he was able to answer questions
- 08/29/2020 – UNKNOWN CONDITION – SOUTH HAVEN, MI – PIER WASHOFF – WOULD BE RESCUER – John Doe, M-? – The incident started when a woman was swept off the South Beach pier. While the woman was able to make it to safety, Hinz said the man was unable to get out of the water. A SHAES responder, along with a number of good Samaritans, found the man and brought him to shore. Witnesses said the man appeared extremely weak as the SHAES responder carried him out of the water. “The body was motionless and lifeless,” witness Sokol Boja said. “He looked very white from a distance.” Crews eventually helicoptered the victim to a Kalamazoo area hospital.
LAKE SUPERIOR = 2
- 06/03/2020 – John Doe, M-6, A juvenile male has drowned in Lake Superior near the mouth of the Middle River in the Town of Lakeside. He was swimming with his mom and another sibling when he submerged. A 9-year-old girl was pulled from the water by rescuers and revived, according to the Superior Telegram.
- 08/11/2020 – SCHOOLCRAFT TOWNSHIP – BIG TRAVERSE BEACH NEAR RICE LAKE – OUTLET CURRENT – BYSTANDER RESCUER – Noah Grow, M-12 – An eight-year-old girl was swept out by the current at the mouth of the slough (at the mouth of the Traverse River) and three others attempted to save her. They were also taken out by the current. Several people on the beach assisted with inflatable tubes and were able to get all four people to shore. When a deputy arrived at the scene, first responders were already conducting CPR on the girl’s 12-year-old brother. He was air lifted to the University of Michigan Children’s Hospital in critical condition where he later died.
LAKE HURON = 11
- 07/08/2020 – FORT GRATIOT TWP, MI – SWIMMING – Robert Esquibel, M-52, of Burtchville Township was swimming off Lakeport State Park with a friend in the lake when his friend noticed he hadn’t resurfaced after going underwater. The friend called for help and swam to shore to have someone call 911 shortly before 4:45 p.m.
- 08/01/2020 – LONDON, ONT. – OFFSHORE WINDS – SWIMMING – John Doe, M-?, just before 12 p.m., a man went under the water and didn’t resurface after swimming to retrieve an object floating in the offshore winds. Lifeguards and bystanders managed to get to him and pulled him out, but he succumbed to his injuries.
- 08/09/2020 – DUNCAN BAY – BOATING/TUBING – NO LIFEJACKET – Sunday around 7:15 p.m., Kyzer Grant, M-5, The sheriff’s office says the 5-year-old boy was being pulled on a tube by a boat and was not wearing a life jacket. The 5-year-old was found in about 10 feet of water, and they believe he had been in the water for about 5 minutes.
- 08/22/2020 – SOUTH HURON – 6 P.M. – SWIMMING – Kane Rodricks, M-29, of Mississauga. He had been swimming with friends and family when he went underwater. He was found unconscious and pulled to shore where efforts to resuscitate were unsuccessful. Huron and Lambton OPP and local emergency crews were called to an address shortly before 6 p.m. on Bluewater Highway in South Huron, north of London.
- 08/27/2020 – LAMBTON COUNTY, ONT. 7:00 P.M. – BYSTANDER RESCUE – Feona Bramwell, F-43, of Brampton, Ont.— a call about a potential drowning at Port Franks Beach, outside London, Ont., with reports that two individuals had disappeared in the water while swimming. Abystander saved one of the two swimmers, while Bramwell could not be located by emergency services until this morning.
- 08/29/2020– MANITOULIN ISLAND, CARTER BAY BEACH IN CARARVON TOWNSHIP 2:55 p.m. – Damon Clarke, M-48, from Collingwood. “Investigation revealed the person was swimming with two children. Undertow began to pull them further from shore. The individual was trying to push the children closer to shore and he was subsequently pulled under water.”
- 09/03/2020 – KINCARDINE PIER, 8 P.M. – WOULD-BE RESCUER – WAVES & DANGEROUS CURRENTS – Aleem Ramj, M-38, of Toronto. He jumped into choppy waters trying to rescue two teens who had been swept off the pier.
- 09/04/2020 – TORONTO – SAUBLE BEACH, ONT. – Troy Cupid, M-20, of Toronto died after he was pulled from the water at Sauble Beach, Ont. on Friday night. The man had no vital signs when he was removed from the water.
- 09/13/2020 – LONDON, ONT. – SAUGEEN FIRST NATION – SECOND AVENUE SOUTH NORTH OF FRENCH BAY ROAD, 4 P.M. – Kevin Costin, M-29, of Wellington North – The body of a man who went missing in Lake Huron at Saugeen First Nation was pulled from the water on Tuesday, the third day of searching. Police were initially contacted Sunday afternoon after a witness reported a man struggling in the waves.
- 10/31/2020– SARNIA, ONTARIO, CANADA – FELL FROM BOAT – Christopher DeGroot, M-31, of Sarnia, fell from a vessel near the mouth of the St. Clair River and failed to resurface. His BODY RECOVERED 11/03/2020 – The OPP aviation service and marine unit, Sarnia police, the Point Edward fire department, Lambton paramedics, the Joint Rescue Co-ordination Centre, U.S. Coast Guard and the St. Clair County, Mich., sheriff’s dive team also helped with the search.
- 11/27/2020 – GEORGIAN BAY, North Shore off of Wikwemikong First Nation – Donald Maiagowi, M-47, from Wikwemikong First Nation — two persons were heading out to go fishing when both fell overboard into the water and started swimming to shore. Only one made it to shore. Donald Maiagowi, age 47 from Wikwemikong First Nation was transported to hospital via Ornge Air Ambulance where he was pronounced deceased.
LAKE ERIE = 19
- 02/16/2020 – PORT DOVER, Ont. – Alex Ottley, M-9, in the area of Peacock Point, 4:35 p.m. The police say two boys — an eight-year-old and nine-year-old — were on the ice edge when a wave swept them into the water. A 10-year-old girl with the boys ran to get help. She flagged down a vehicle and a man and a woman were able to rescue the eight-year-old boy, but police say the other boy did not resurface. His loved ones are asking that instead of donations, families instead talk to their young children about water safety. His body was recovered on 03/24/2020.
- 03/23/2020 – LONG POINT, ONT. – FISHING – Michael Smith, M-50, Ontario Provincial Police say they have recovered the body on Friday of fisherman Michael Smith who fell off a commercial boat and into Lake Erie on Monday.
- 05/30/2020 – BUFFALO, N.Y. – John Doe, M-?, a body was pulled from Lake Erie Saturday afternoon near Gull Landing, across from the Erie Basin Marina.
- 06/03/2020 – FAIRPORT HARBOR – FISHING – Kelly Carver, M-42, A partially submerged vessel was found on Thursday at around 11 a.m. near Fairport Harbor in Lake County on Lake Erie. Multiple Coast Guard boat crews from the Ashtabula station, a helicopter from Air Station Detroit and a helicopter crew from Canada searched for the Carvers.
- 06/03/2020 – FAIRPORT HARBOR – FISHING – Logan Carver, M-13, A partially submerged vessel was found on Thursday at around 11 a.m. near Fairport Harbor in Lake County on Lake Erie. Multiple Coast Guard boat crews from the Ashtabula station, a helicopter from Air Station Detroit and a helicopter crew from Canada searched for the Carvers.
- 06/13/2020 – BROWNSTOWN, MI – Tyler Szabo M-22, of Flat Rock. Went missing after kayaking in Lake Erie. Szabo set out with his kayak at about 7:45 p.m. Saturday at Pointe Mouillee State Game Area in Brownstown Township. His kayak was found washed up in Monroe County at Banana Dyke, but there’s still no sign of Szabo.
- 07/04/2020 – SANDUSKY, OH – SWIMMING FROM BOAT – Larry Facemire III, M-29 — a group anchored their boat near Cedar Point hoping to swim to shore, but the waves became too strong. A Good Samaritan pulled Facemire from the water. He was unconscious but alive when rescue crews were on scene, and he was immediately transported to a local hospital. Officials did not specify his exact condition. Facemire’s father contacted the GLSRP on 07/24/2020 and stated that Larry Facemire III died on 07/05/2020.
- 07/12/2020 – WINDSOR, ONT – WADING ON SANDBAR – Santos Cuc Diaz, M-28, around 4 p.m. in the waters of Lake Erie near Wheatley Provincial Park. He was wading around on a sand bar at the extreme western edge of the park and slipped under the water. He was a migrant farm worker.
- 07/26/2020 – FORT ERIE – OFF CRYSTAL BEACH – BOATING – John Doe, M-85, A grandfather has drowned after the boat he was in capsized on Lake Erie off Crystal Beach Sunday. His teenage grandson was able to swim to shore.
- 07/27/2020 – Ditfleche Geneau, M-67, of Brantford, Ont., was recovered at Pottahawk Point, Norfolk County.
- 08/27/2020 – HARWICH TOWNSHIP, RONDEAU PROVINCIAL PARK – BYSTANDER RESCUE – BYSTANDER CPR – Heather Connon, F-48, At 2:15 p.m. on Thursday, police were called to Lakeshore Road in Harwich Township with reports that a woman had fallen off an inflatable raft in Lake Erie and failed to re-surface. People on shore swam into the water to rescue the woman, who was unconscious when she was removed from the water. Locals performed CPR, which was then continued by emergency responders. The woman was then brought to hospital in critical where she later died.
- 08/27/2020 – PORT COLBORNE, SHERKSTON BEACH, 1:30 P.M. – WAVES & DANGEROUS CURRENTS – BYSTANDER RESCUERS – Douglas Gómez Jr., M-33, from Waterloo Ontario is presumed to have drowned. He was one of two adult males and four children under 13 years old distressed in the 5-6 foot waves. Bystanders were able to rescue one of the adult male and the children. His body was recovered on 08/30/2020.
- 09/17/2020– PORT GLASGOW – SAILING – NO LIFE JACKET – Reginald Fisher, M-77, of Elgin County – Monday, authorities gave up a three-day search. “We’re no longer out on the water searching,” OPP Const. Troy Carlson said Monday. “It’s been decided the actual physical search is now concluded at this time, although the investigation is still ongoing. Fisher was last seen Thursday afternoon leaving the marina in Port Glasgow, southwest of his Dutton home, on a 14-foot sailboat. Friday, marina staff called police to say he hadn’t returned. The boat was found Friday evening, more than 24 hours after Fisher was seen setting off. Fisher was boating by himself about once a week since mid-June. “It looked like he was trying to learn,” Navackas said. “He would practice. Up until two weeks ago, we hadn’t seen him actually get out of the marina.” She said she never saw him wearing a life-jacket, and multiple people had reminded him to do so. The conditions Thursday, when Fisher set sail, were not good, Navackas said, adding most of the larger boats were not going out on Erie. BODY RECOVERED – 10/15/2020 – Provincial police have identified a body that washed up on shore in the Port Burwell area as that of missing sailor Reginald Fisher.
- 09/17/2020 – CLEVELAND, OH – William Kohler, M-57, Kohler was pulled from Lake Erie in the 17800 block of Canterbury Road on Tuesday, five days after he was reported missing. Police said he was last seen by his caretaker on Sept. 17 in the 3500 block of Trent Avenue and hasn’t been heard from since then.
- 09/29/2020 – CLEVELAND, OH – 2:40 p.m. off the shores of the lake near Canterbury Lane in the city’s North Shore-Collinwood neighborhood – John Doe, M-?, A man drowned Tuesday in Lake Erie. Cleveland firefighters used a rope to help recover the man’s body from the lake, Cleveland Fire Department spokesman Mike Norman said. The man has not yet been identified. The circumstances surrounding his drowning is unknown and Cleveland police have not released additional information.
- 10/14/2020– ERIE COUNTY – Jeremiah Mitchell, M-27 – Mitchell’s body was pulled from Presque Isle Bay on Saturday night after a fisherman reported seeing a body floating near Don Jon Ship Building.
- 10/07/2020 – John Doe Body of missing Port Bruce man recovered – LONDON, ONT. – After an extensive search Elgin OPP say they recovered the remains of a missing Port Bruce man late Wednesday. A search for 62-year-old Michael Renton was done in air and on water. He was first reported missing Wednesday morning. His remains were located by an OPP helicopter at the base of a cliff along the Lake Erie shoreline just east of Port Bruce. The location required a high angle recovery by the OPP emergency response team and the Malahide fire services. Police say they don’t suspect foul play. [Did he fall to death? Or Drowning?] https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2020/10/14/body-of-missing-man-found.html
- 10/14/2020 – ERIE COUNTY – Jeremiah Mitchell, M-27 – Mitchell’s body was pulled from Presque Isle Bay on Saturday night after a fisherman reported seeing a body floating near Don Jon Ship Building.
- 11/27/2020 – PRESQUE ISLE BAY – Jorge Torres, M-71, of Erie – Torres’s family had reported him missing on Friday night. His body was found floating in Presque Isle Bay on Saturday afternoon.
LAKE ONTARIO = 18 (+1 Unknown Condition +1 Missing)
- 06/12/2020 – BURLOAK WATERFRONT PARK –John Doe, M-?, A body was recovered from Lake Ontario at Burloak Waterfront Park, in the area of Lakeshore and Hampton Heath roads.
- 06/13/2020 – POINT BREEZE – John Doe, M-?, A body was discovered early Saturday morning, after washing ashore on Lake Ontario in the hamlet of Point Breeze, around 5:30 a.m.
- 06/21/2020 – TORONTO – John Doe, M-19, The man was having trouble staying afloat and he called to his friends for help. While his friends were trying to reach him, the man disappeared under the water, and they couldn’t find him. The incident happened near The Beach neighborhood near Hubbard Boulevard and Maclean Avenue.
- 06/27/2020 – KINGSTON – Jaykumar Shaileshbhai Bhikhabhai Patel, M-20, of Kingston was reported missing on June 27, 2020. Police located his body in Lake Ontario on Wednesday, July 1, at Battery Park in Kingston. Jaykumar was last seen by family on Friday, Jun. 26, 2020 around 6:30 p.m. on Daly Street. Police have reason to believe Jaykumar may later have been in the area of the Wolfe Island Ferry ramp.
- 7/02/2020 – SODUS BAY – WOULD-BE RESCUER – Draven Starr-Howell attempted to save the three swimmers in Sodus Bay on Thursday has died. Deputies reported that the 20-year-old was overtaken by waves in the bay.
- 07/09/2020 – IRONDEQUOIT, NY – SWIMMING – John Doe, M-63, Three men were on a 40-foot boat about three miles northwest of the Irondequoit Bay outlet, according to Monroe County Sheriff’s deputies. A 63-year-old man jumped in to swim, but began struggling. The others threw him a lifering but he went under before he could get it.
- 07/12/2020 – John Doe, Rescue crews recover body from Lake Ontario near Bluffer’s Park
- 07/17/2020 – HENDERSON, NY – SOUTHWICK BEACH STATE PARK – SWIMMING – WAVES & DANGEROUS CURRENTS – Miguel Harvey, M-49, was with his wife and kids Friday evening when they went to the state park to play on the beach. When most of the family started heading back to camp, Mr. Harvey, a Marine veteran who was on a dive team when he was younger, went farther out. “He was in an area where he was fine and then he just swam out farther,” said one relative, who decided not to give his name. “I don’t know if he just wanted to see how it was. I don’t know.” Bystanders started noticing the moments when it was clear Mr. Harvey had gone too far out.A bystander swam out to him but he couldn’t “get him up.
- 07/17/2020 – TORONTO, ON – HANLAN’S POINT BEACH – Tahir Kahn, M-30’s, was pulled from the water around 7 p.m. Emergency crews performed CPR and the man was unconscious and “unresponsive.” The man was then transported to hospital in life-threatening condition.
- 07/25/2020 – TORONTO – SWIMMING – John Doe, M-?, The body of a missing man has been located in Lake Ontario near Toronto Islands, Toronto Police said. The man was last seen at 9 p.m. on . Police say he may have gone swimming at the time. The body was found just after 8:15 a.m. on July 26 by Toronto Police’s marine unit.
- 07/26/2020 – SWIMMING AROUND 1 P.M. -– BYSTANDER RESCUES – North Beach Provincial Park, Alex Aloysius M-63, of Oshawa, Ont.
- 07/26/2020 – SWIMMING AROUND 6 P.M. – BYSTANDER RESCUES – North Beach Provincial Park – Muhammad Azmat, M-25, of Mississauga, Ont.
- 08/15/2020 – TORONTO, BLUFFER’S PARK, 7:30 P.M. – WAVES & DANGEROUS CURRENTS – Pavan Kristipati, Doe, M-29 A man who was pulled from the waters near Bluffer’s Park has died, and the search for his brother who went missing in Lake Ontario has turned into a recovery mission.
- 08/15/2020 – TORONTO, BLUFFER’S PARK – BODY RECOVERED – Kamal Kristipati, M-23, Toronto police had been searching for a 23-year-old man who was struggling to stay above water at the Scarborough park on Saturday, 08/15/2020. On Monday, Marine Unit officers reported that a body had been found but could not confirm if it was the body of the missing man. The man had been in the lake with his brother, who was pronounced dead in the hospital overnight after succumbing to his injuries.
- 08/15/2020 – TORONTO, BLUFFER’S PARK, 5:15 P.M. – John Doe, M-?, A deceased male was discovered floating more than 60 feet from the shoreline, police said. No lifesaving efforts were made, police said, as the body was already in a state of decomposition. Police said the incident is being treated as suspicious until a post-mortem has concluded
- 08/27/2020 – PRINCE EDWARD COUNTY, ONT, BEACH PROVINCIAL PARK, 4:15 P.M. – Oussama Righi, M-32, from Montreal, a family was swimming at North Beach Provincial Park on County Road 27 in Prince Edward County. They say one member of the family failed to surface and was eventually pulled from the water, at which point first responders administered CPR. He was taken to hospital where he was later pronounced dead.
- 09/03/2020 – HAMILTON, VAN WAGNERS BEACH, 7 P.M. – John Doe, M-21, a man went into the water and didn’t resurface near Van Wagners beach in Hamilton. He was removed from the water just before 7:50 p.m. where paramedics began resuscitation efforts. The man was taken to the hospital without vital signs where he later died.
- 10/06/2020– OAKVILLE CLUB MARIANA – SAILING – Eric Quimby, M-65 – Quimby is believed to have left the Oakville Club Marina at approximately 10:40 a.m., on Tuesday, Oct. 6 for a short sail west towards Stoney Creek. Halton police said they were contacted Tuesday evening when Quimby did not return. Around 3:30 p.m., on Wednesday, Oct. 7 Halton police announced that Quimby’s 30-foot sailboat had been discovered by the U.S. Coast Guard about 3 km off the shore of Rochester, New York. Quimby himself, however, was not aboard the vessel.
- 11/14/2020 – John Doe, M-?, Halton police are investigating following the discovery of a body in Lake Ontario, just a short distance from the Oakville shore, on Saturday Nov. 14. Police said the body of an adult male was discovered in the water between Lakeside Park and Tannery Park at around 9:20 a.m., by the Town of Oakville Air Rescue Force (TOWARF) during a routine boat patrol. “On Saturday returning to Oakville Harbour minutes before shutting down for the season, the crew observed a person in the water, recovered him, commenced CPR and called 911,” tweeted TOWARF Marine Rescue on Nov. 16. Police Media Officer Const. Ryan Anderson said the deceased man has been identified, however, that identify is not being released. “Police are conducting an investigation into the death, however, no additional information is available at this time,” said Anderson. The media officer did say the individual is not Eric Quimby, a 65-year-old Oakville boater who went missing Oct. 6 during a sailing trip to Stoney Creek.
- 11/15/2020 – TORONTO, CHERRY BEACH, 3 p.m. – Jason ‘Ghostrider’ Maloney, M-56, One man has been taken to hospital in life-threatening condition after being pulled from the water near Cherry Beach. Police reported a group of five to six kite boarders were on Lake Ontario in the area of Cherry Street and Martin Goodman Trail when they received calls about a person in distress shortly after 3 p.m. When police arrived, one man had been pulled from the water by another individual who was already on the scene and officers performed life-saving measures until paramedics were able to transport the man to hospital. The conditions on the lake at the time were treacherous due to a wind and rain storm that was sweeping across the region.
- 11/16/2020 – OSHAWA, TORONTO, 1:25 P.M. – Jane Doe, F-?, was taken out of the water near Birchcliffe Avenue without vital signs and was taken to hospital with the assistance of Oshawa Fire and Durham Paramedic Services. In a tweet published just after 2:30 p.m., police said she was pronounced dead in hospital.
+1 UNKNOWN CONDITION +1 MISSING
- 06/26/2020 – NEAR WHITBY – MISSING SAILOR – John Doe, ?-?, Sailboat found adrift. The Joint Rescue Coordination Centre has ended a search for a missing sailor on Lake Ontario. The 424 Squadron search and rescue technicians and aircraft were involved in the search near Whitby after a sailboat was found adrift Thursday morning. Crews searched over 3,000 square kms and spent 90 hours searching from the air and water. The case is now being turned over to police as a missing person case. Three aircraft from RCAF and the Civil Air Search and Rescue Niagara, eight vessels from the Canadian Coast Guard and the Toronto Police Service were involved in the search.
97 Great Lakes Drownings in 2019;
48 of those in Lake Michigan
838 Great Lakes Drownings since 2010
(As of 12/31/2019)
GREAT LAKES, USA – In 2019 the GLSRP tracked 97 Great Lakes drownings. Full statistics here. (Note: * = (+/-) Awaiting 100% confirmation of drowning.) In addition to the confirmed drownings, there are an additional 5 drowning incidents where the victims were last listed as “Critical Condition,” “Unknown Condition,” or “Missing”. The GLSRP is awaiting updates on these incidences.
OVERVIEW OF GREAT LAKES DROWNINGS 01/01/2010 – 12/31/2019
74 drownings in 2010
88 in 2011
99 in 2012
67 in 2013
54 in 2014
55 in 2015
99 in 2016
88 in 2017
117 in 2018
97 to date in 2019
838 since 2010
2019 = 97
Lake Michigan = 48
Lake Superior = 5
Lake Huron = 8
Lake Erie = 28
Lake Ontario = 8
LAKE MICHIGAN =48
- 01/11/2019 – CHICAGO, IL – Christopher Guadarrama, 25, missing since Jan. 11 – The decomposed body recently pulled from Lake Michigan, near Grant Park in Chicago, on March 17 has been identified as a mentally disabled Maywood man who had been missing since Jan. 11. Family and friends of Christopher Guadarrama, 25, had been searching for him since he was last seen at his home on the 600 block of N. 5th Ave. in Maywood two months ago. During an interview in January, Maria Guadarrama, Christopher’s sister, said that he had left his Maywood home “without his backpack, cell phone or his medication, which he always has with him whenever he goes, anywhere.” Guadarrama had schizophrenia, she said
- 01/18/2019 – WAUKEGAN, IL – Matthew “Mateo” Garcia, M-16, Three teens were on the pier. One fell in. One jumped in to attempt a rescue. One called 911. According to the Waukegan Fire Department, two people were on the pier around 4:30 p.m. Friday afternoon when one of the individuals fell into the water. The other person then jumped into the lake in a rescue attempt and submerged, and another person called 911 to alert authorities to the situation. Mateo Garcia was a Grayslake North High School His body recovered April 11, 2019
- 02/11/2019 – PORTER, IN – Scott Tharp, 59, of the Gary area, was last seen on Feb. 11, according to a Tuesday release from Porter County Coroner Cyndi Dykes. Preliminary findings show Tharp died of accidental drowning, pending toxicology results. A fisherman found Tharp’s body Friday night in a public fishing area at the Port of Indiana, Dykes said. A U.S. Coast Guard crew near the port recovered his body at 8:51 p.m.
- 02/11/2019 – DOOR COUNTY, WI – Eric Richter, 57, His body was found in Lake Michigan at Cave Point County Park on 03/20/2019. Richter told his wife he was going to stop at the park to take some photos on his way home from Jacksonport. His vehicle was found at the park later that night. The sheriff’s office said waves were 7 to 8 feet high and the shoreline was icy and slippery, and they feared he was swept into the water.
- 02/14/2019 – CHICAGO, IL – Jonathan Rice, M-30, last seen on security camera driving into parking garage at Navy Pier. Body found in water near Navy Pier. No foul play suspected.
- 03/11/2019 – CHICAGO, IL – Alan Emery, 59, was found about 5:50 p.m. on March 11 near the shoreline in the 7500 block of South South Shore Drive. Emery lived in Wrightwood on the South Side, the medical examiner’s office said. An autopsy has not ruled on the cause and manner of his death pending further investigation. Area South detectives are conducting a death investigation.
- 03/17/2019 – CHICAGO, IL – John Doe, M-?, Body Pulled From Lake Michigan Near Grant Park, 500 block of south Lake Shore Drive. The body “appears to be in advanced stage of decomposition” and has been taken to the medical examiner. This incident is under investigation.
- 04/25/2019 – CHICAGO – Jane Doe, F-60s, A woman died after she was pulled from Lake Michigan Thursday near Lincoln Park on the North Side near Fullerton Avenue Beach in the 2100 block of North Lake Shore Drive.
- 04/29/2019 – John Doe*, M-18, the man was last seen on Monday, April 29. He was reported missing by a parent. On Thursday, May 5, Police say they found the man dead along the shoreline of Lake Michigan in Sheridan Park. The circumstances surrounding the death are still under investigation. An autopsy is pending. Grief counselors were at Cudahy High School Friday following the death of an 18-year-old senior.
- 05/18/2019 – PORTER, IN – Jacob Sandy, M-23, was last seen kayaking from Porter Beach. His body was discovered on 05/29 by an Indiana Dunes National Park employee around 7:15 a.m. about a quarter-mile east of Porter Beach on the shoreline of Lake Michigan.
- 06/25/2019 – CHICAGO – Amiyah Walker, F-5, has died days after she was rescued from Lake Michigan last week at Rainbow Beach Park. Amiyah Walker was found unresponsive in the water about 8:40 p.m. June 25 in the 3100 block of East 77th Street, Chicago police and the Cook County medical examiner’s office said.
- 06/25/2019 – CHICAGO – ROGERS PARK – Croslene Kettle, M-64, Fishing — A 64-year-old man drowned in Lake Michigan just off of Pratt Pier in Rogers Park Tuesday morning, Chicago Police officials said. The man was fishing off of the pier when he decided to go for a swim and never resurfaced, police said. Officials have not yet confirmed the man’s identity. Kettle was discovered unresponsive about 8:42 a.m. in the water at Tobey Prinz Beach in the 1000 block of West Pratt Boulevard, He had gone swimming, and witnesses pulled him from the lake.
- 06/28/2019 – MILWAUKEE, WI – SCUBA DIVING – Susan Winn, F-53, of Kildeer, Illinois – diving incident on Lake Michigan.
- 06/28/2019 – MILWAUKEE, WI – SCUBA DIVING – James Winn, M-53, of Kildeer, Illinois – diving incident on Lake Michigan.
- 07/02/2019 – CHICAGO – ROGERS PARK – John Doe, M-56, A man was pronounced dead after lifeguards pulled him to shore about 1:15 p.m. after they spotted him in the water and unresponsive near the 7700 block of North Eastlake Terrace in Rogers Beach Park. Swimming is banned at the beach because of high water levels, and it is not listed among beaches with regular lifeguard service on the Park District’s website. Nearby Juneway Beach, just to the north of Rogers Beach, also is closed because of high water levels.
- 07/06/2019 – MICHIGAN CITY, IN, Washington Park Beach – Raheem Mason, M-17, of South Bend, IN – The incident occurred after normal swimming hours [Lifeguards off duty] and the water had been closed throughout the day due to dangerous waves and currents. Body recovered 07/11/2019.
- 07/11/2019 – CHICAGO – Jessica Ceja*, F-27, boat crash near Belmont Harbor, the 2200 block of North Lake Shore Drive. She was not wearing a life jacket. She was found underwater and unresponsive more than 500 yards away from the boat on the other side of the break wall.
- 07/13/2019 – SOUTH HAVEN, MI – Theron Brooker-Nolan, M-13, of Ann Arbor, MI, Approximately 12:27 p.m., He was swimming, Yellow Flag, drowned off of South Haven’s South Beach. Witnesses reported individuals had been swimming and began to drift further away from shore and became exhausted, not able to swim back. A person on a paddleboard was able to rescue an adult, but that one child was still in the water. Air support from the US Coast Guard, the dive team from the Van Buren County Sheriff’s Department, and the SHAES rescue boat.
- 07/13/2019 – HAMMOND, IN – Harold Daniels, M-59, around 11:45 p.m. fell into Lake Michigan along the boat docks at Hammond Marina and didn’t resurface. Members with Hammond Fire and the Lake County Marine Unit recovered Daniels. Other agencies that assisted include Hammond Police, the Lake County coroner’s office and the U.S. Coast Guard.
- 07/14/2019 – CHICAGO, IL – Mykhailo Porfirian, M-70, suffered cardiac arrest while swimming in the lake in the 1500 block of Lake Shore Drive. He was taken to Northwestern Hospital in Critical Condition. He died 07/23/2019. An autopsy Thursday determined the cause of his death was complications of drowning, and his death was ruled an accident, the medical examiner said.
- 07/18/2019 – LUDINGTON, MI, Stearns Beach, swimming, reported missing around 8 p.m. – Albrianna Huck, F-14, of Ludington. Around 9:50 p.m. someone located Albrianna in the water and pulled her to shore. Among the agencies responding were the Ludington Fire Department, Mason County Sheriff’s Office road patrol and marine divisions, Coast Guard from the Ludington station as well as the helicopter from Traverse City, the Hamlin Township Fire Department, the Michigan State Police Hart Post, Mason County Emergency Management and the Mason County Search Management Team. It was the helicopter crew that noticed individuals waving at them from the shoreline.
- 07/19/2019 – KENOSHA, WI, Eichelman Park, around 6:30 p.m. Christopher Franklin, M-32, swimming
- 07/20/2019 – MICHIGAN CITY, IN – Christian Rosete, M-25, of Michigan City was swimming around 8:30 p.m. near Washington Park Beach in Michigan City. He was with family when he was overcome by waves and did not resurface. It was “red flag” conditions at the time of the incident, meaning no swimming was allowed in the area due to the dangerous water conditions. He was transported in critical condition to Franciscan Health hospital in Michigan City, where he died 11:59 p.m. Sunday.
- 07/20/1019 – CHICAGO, IL – Jose Rubio, M-31, two unresponsive men were found in the water at 2600 N. Lake Shore Drive, approximately two miles east of the Diversey harbor, around 3:30 p.m. Rubio died. One man in stable condition. The two men had jumped out of a boat to go for a swim approximately a half-mile from shore. The men left another person in the boat, but he was inexperienced and was unable to operate the vessel. The two men became separated from the boat when a storm front moved through the Chicago area, causing an increase in the size of the waves. Both men were found unresponsive in the water. Rubio died.
- 07/22/2019 – HAMLIN TOWNSHIP – MISSING SWIMMER – Ludington State Park – Daniel McCarthy, M-19, of Baldwin. At 2:52 p.m., emergency personnel were notified of several persons who had been swept out into Lake Michigan at the Big Sable River outlet in Ludington State Park; tubers were caught in the current where Sable River meets Lake Michigan. It was determined that a total of eight persons were initially swept out into Lake Michigan, however, only seven could be accounted for. Ludington State Park Rangers along with deputies with the Mason County Sheriff’s Office immediately responded to the scene. Support units with the United States Coast Guard, Hamlin Township Fire Department, Life EMS, Ludington Police Department, and United States Coast Guard Air Support also responded to the call.
- 07/24/2019 – CHICAGO, RAINBOW BEACH – Dante Tripp, M-27, Swimming about 9:15 p.m., 3111 E. 77th St., Chicago, helicopter spotted him in the water, divers pulled him to shore, transported to Trinity Hospital in critical condition. He died 07/25/2019.
- 07/25/2019 – LUDINGTON, MI – BIG SABLE RIVER OUTLET – Brian Herrmann, M-38, of Brighton – Another swimmer is missing in Lake Michigan near Ludington – Searchers were looking for a male swimmer who reportedly was among several struggling in the water today near the Big Sable River outlet at Ludington State Park. Emergency crews were at the outlet area searching for missing swimmer, the Mason County Sheriff’s Office at around 4:15 p.m. Body Recovered 07/27/2019 approximately 8 miles north of the Sable River outlet at Ludington State Park where Herrmann went missing while swimming on Thursday, July 25th at 3:13 p.m.
- 07/27/2019 – HOLLAND, MI – SWIMMING – Steven Scott Davis, M-43, about 4:30 p.m., 3300 block of Lakeshore Driv. The man was in the water in the when he began to struggle and he flagged for help. Bystanders saw him go face down as went into the water and brought the man to shore. Ottawa County sheriff’s deputies and paramedics arrived quickly — within 10 minutes of the first 911 call — and began CPR. According to the National Weather Service, the lake conditions involved 3-5 foot waves and 20-30 mph winds out of the southwest, creating an undertow [waves and dangerous currents].
- 07/27/2019 – CHESTERTON, IN – INDIANA DUNES STATE PARK – SWIMMING – Brandon Howard – M-32, of Constantine, MI About 5:50 p.m., a lifeguard at Indiana Dunes saw a man who seemed to be struggling in the water in the designated swim area, the Indiana Department of Natural Resources said. As a lifeguard approached the man, he slipped under the water and didn’t resurface. A Chesterton Fire Department diver found the man’s body about 8 p.m. in 10 feet of water, IDNR said. He lived in Michigan.
- 07/27/2019 – CHICAGO – BOAT HOPPNG – Oluwafemi ‘Arthur’ Labinjo, M-30, identified as body recovered 08/01/2019. He was last seen “boat hopping” in Lake Michigan’s “Play Pen” on Saturday 07/27/2019. That is an area where many boats are often moored, with passengers partying on board.
- 08/04/2019 – CHICAGO, IL – Luis González Vásquez, M-?, Pulled from the water at 31st Street Beach – it appeared he had hit his head on rocks hidden beneath the water, police said. An autopsy released Monday found Vásquez died from drowning
- 08/05/2019 – CUDAHY, WI – MISSING – Aaron Q. Polnitz, M-19, around 6:23 p.m. near 5400 S. Lake Drive near Warnimont Park in Cudahy. Three young adults went down to a beach area and one went swimming but didn’t come up. Another tried to rescue him unsuccessfully. One of the three ran up the bank and called 911. The Milwaukee Fire Department launched a rescue boat from South Milwaukee Yacht Club. It included a dive team. Cudahy, South Milwaukee, the Milwaukee County Sheriff’s Department and the Coast Guard have also been involved with the search.
- 08/14/2019 – GRAND TRAVERSE BAY, MI – BOATING – Terry Warren, M-57. Warren was last seen leaving the Northport Marina around 4 in the afternoon on Wednesday. His boat came onto the beach near a house off East Ingalls Bay Road more than 5 miles to the south about two hours later. Warren was the only person in the boat and had possibly fallen overboard. Agencies involved in the search included the Leelanau County Sheriff’s, Grand Traverse Band Tribal Police, and Northport firefighters. Body Recovered.
- 08/17/2019 – LITTLE TRAVERSE BAY, MI, NEAR HARBOR SPRINGS – SWIMMING – George Seier, M-71, of Alabama, was attempting to moor his sailboat, when his moored dingy got loose and began to drift away. Authorities said Seier jumped into the water in attempt to retrieve the dingy. Seier swam approximately 75 yards and then attempted to tread water, when he went under water, in approximately 10 feet of water. The sheriffs office was assisted by the Harbor Springs Marine Patrol, Emmet EMS, Harbor Springs Fire Department, and the Emmet County Sheriffs Office Victim Service Unit.
- 08/22/2019 – CHICAGO, IL – Rene Padilla, M-35, of Blue Island, IL. Pulled from the water at 31st Street beach, ‘would-be’ rescuer. He was trying to save his 12-year-old daughter who slipped and fell off of a rock and he was overpowered by high waves.
- 08/23/2019 – MILWAUKEE, WI, YACHT CLUB – John Doe, ?-?, an adult was found unresponsive in Lake Michigan near the South Milwaukee Yacht Club around 8:59 p.m. About five minutes later, first responders from the South Milwaukee Fire Department pulled the victim from the water and began CPR, before taking the victim to the hospital.
- 08/25/2019 – CHICAGO, IL – Fullerton Drive – John Doe, M-26 A man was pulled from Lake Michigan and was taken to Amita Health St. Joseph Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
- 08/25/2019 – WAUKEGAN, IL – John Otto, M-50, of Mundelein. Otto was on a jet ski went under water and was found unresponsive. The man was given CPR by rescue crews and transferred to a local hospital in critical condition. He died at the hospital. ALSO 14 people including children were rescued from Lake Michigan Sunday around 3:00 a.m. after their boat capsized.
- 09/29/2019 – CHICAGO, IL – Jonathan Subida, M-22, Man pulled from Lake Michigan offshore from Rogers Park. He may have jumped from the pier at Tobey Prinz Beach Park at Pratt Boulevard. Hannah Williams Commented on the Rogers Park Neighborhood News Facebook Page: “He passed away – Jonathan Subida – [He was a] Von Steuben graduate and he played on the basketball team with my younger brother. The Medical Examiners list posted: Medical Examiners list stated: Jonathan Subida, 22, of the 6000 block of W. Montrose, unknown causes at 1050 W. Pratt, pronounced 11:15 p.m. [9/29], Area North detectives.
- 10/06/2019 – CHICAGO, IL 7000 block of N. Sheridan Rd. – Donald Lee*, M-64, body had been found in Lake Michigan one morning this October. He was found unresponsive at approximately 9:45 a.m. in the 7000 block of North Sheridan Road — less than half a mile from Loyola’s Lake Shore Campus – A StreetWise vendor’s body was found in Lake Michigan. His family drove from Georgia ‘out of love’ to find out more – Oct. 9, Thomas learned that her uncle’s body had been found in the lake three days earlier, The police say Lee’s death remains under investigation. The medical examiner says the autopsy results are pending.
- 10/11/2019 – CHICAGO, IL near Northerly Island – John Doe*, M-24 – A body was found washed up onto the shore near Northerly Island on Chicago’s Near South Side on Friday morning, officials said. A passerby called police after stumbling across the body near the 1500 block of South Linn White Drive around 11:30 a.m. The victim had an identification card in his pocket, which showed that he was a 24-year-old man. “There’s no indication of any trauma yet,” Bown said. “Rigor mortis has set in, but we can’t tell how long he’d been there.”
- 10/17/2019 – CHICAGO, IL – Montrose Harbor – John Doe*, M-40-50 – A body was found washed up on the North Side at Montrose Harbor Sunday. Authorities were called about 12:25 p.m. to the 4500 block of North Simonds Drive where they found a man 40 to 50-years old washed up on the beach.
- 10/17/2019 – CHICAGO, IL – Fullerton Ave., Lincoln Park – John Doe*, M-26, The body was recovered in Lake Michigan east of Lincoln Park on the North Side / a mile east of Fullerton Avenue.
- 10/26/2019 – CHICAGO, IL – Osterman Beach, Sheridan & Ardmore – John Doe*, M-30 to 45 — A man’s body washed up on the shore Saturday morning at Kathy Osterman Beach in the Edgewater Beach neighborhood near Sheridan and Ardmore around 8:45 a.m.
- 10/27/2019 – CHICAGO, IL – Navy Pier, 600 E. Grand Ave. – John/Jane Doe* – A body was pulled from Lake Michigan near Navy Pier 600 block of East Grand Avenue
- 11/17/2019 – CHICAGO, IL – Joseph Ramos, M-22, of Franklin Park – The men were last seen leaving a night club in the 200-block of West Ontario Street early Sunday morning. Police said they tracked a cell phone ping around 3:15 a.m. Tuesday to the 100-block of North Lake Shore Drive. Police said POD camera video showed a vehicle drive into Lake Michigan at the location.
- 11/17/2019 – CHICAGO, IL – Antonio Lemon, M-21, of River Grove – The men were last seen leaving a night club in the 200-block of West Ontario Street early Sunday morning. Police said they tracked a cell phone ping around 3:15 a.m. Tuesday to the 100-block of North Lake Shore Drive. Police said POD camera video showed a vehicle drive into Lake Michigan at the location.
- 12/09/2019 – BURNS HARBOR, IN – FELL OFF DOCK – Sara Murawski, F-30, Fell from dock. On Monday, December 9, 2019 at 7:45 PM, the Porter County Coroner’s Office was dispatched to Porter Regional Hospital, 85 E. US Highway 6, Valparaiso regarding a death in the ER. Upon arrival, the deputy was informed that a 30-year-old female, identified as Sara Murawski of Kinde, MI, had been transported to the Emergency Room from the Port of Arcelor Mittal in Burns Harbor, IN. While working on the dock to secure the ship, the decedent fell from the docking area into the near freezing water of Lake Michigan. All attempts were made by fellow shipmates to rescue her, but the female was ultimately located by members of the Porter Fire Dive Team, after a brief search, and was later pronounced dead at the hospital.
LAST LISTED IN CRITICAL CONDITION
07/19/2019 – HAMMOND, IN – CRITICAL CONDITION – BOAT DRIVER THROWN IN TO WATER – two vessels that collided northwest of Hammond Marina on Lake Michigan. at 8:15 p.m., one operator was thrown into the water. That operator was retrieved and transported to the University of Chicago for treatment and is listed in critical condition.
09/05/2019 – CRITICAL CONDITION – CHICAGO, IL – NORTH AVENUE BEACH – Jane Doe hospitalized after being pulled from Lake Michigan at North Avenue Beach. She was last listed in critical Condition – Witnesses said they saw the person struggling in the water A jogger saw the rescue and administered CPR until paramedics arrived.
LAKE SUPERIOR = 5
- 04/18/2019 – John Doe, M-64, The U.S. Coast Guard has recovered the body of a missing fisherman in Lake Superior. The man was found in the waters off Bay Mills Township following a search by boat of the area
- 06/06/2019 – MARTEN FALLS, Ont. – Adam Spade*, M-14, Provincial police say a 14-year-old boy reported missing in northern Ontario last week was found dead on Saturday. They say Adam Spade of Marten Falls, Ont., was reported missing to the Anishinabek Police Service on Thursday. He had disappeared from a home in Fort William First Nation. On Friday, his body was found in Lake Superior in Fort William First Nation. Provincial officers say a post-mortem will be conducted to determine his cause of death, which is being investigated by the crime unit. Police are asking anyone with information about the investigation to come forward.
- 07/27/2019 – DULUTH, MN – John Doe, M-?, Police were called to the Ore Docks for reports of a man trespassing on CN property. The man went into the waters of Lake Superior in Duluth after being approached by officers. Deputies say the man was “exhibiting odd behavior” when police arrived. Officers saw the man go underwater, but he never resurfaced.
- 09/01/2019 – DULUTH, MN – Jacob Lavoie M-21, He had been missing since early Sunday, Sept. 1, when he was seen leaving Grandma’s Sports Garden and walking north toward downtown. A witness reported that he was last seen walking and climbing fences along the Minnesota Slip on the night of his disappearance. The back of the hotel runs along the Minnesota Slip, with a parking lot and walkway in between, and boats are moored along the slip behind the hotel. Witnesses initially followed the man, the caller told police, but he climbed a fence to reach a closed-access section of the boardwalk along the slip. The witness(es) saw the man jump onto a sailboat and jump off again before losing sight of him. Lavoie’s body was found the next afternoon, Sept. 6, about 10 feet below the surface on the slip’s floor. There were no initial signs of foul play, Phillips said.
- 09/30/2019 – DULUTH, MN – Don Sarter, M-68, Man dies after boat capsizes in Lake Superior – The boat capsized around 11 a.m. Monday near Park Point in Duluth while it was out helping a dredger. Authorities say two of the three men in the boat made it to shore safely, but one was missing in the water. He may have been wearing life jackets but did not have it zipped. The weather was stormy. The Duluth Fire Department had issued a red-flag warning for dangerous swimming conditions for Park Point beaches. A large wave came up behind the 19-foot aluminum-hulled Monark boat, then another crashed over the top and swamped the motor, overturning the boat as it was performing work.
LAKE HURON = 8
- 07/01/2019 – Wasaga Beach, Beach Area 1, 7:45 p.m. – John Doe, M-25, A Brampton man died after he went swimming on Monday and drowned.
- 07/05/2019 – John Doe, M-?, The man possibly fell out of his boat. Provincial police say they were contacted around 9 a.m. Friday with a report of a small aluminum boat travelling in circles off the shores of Southampton. According to police, “quick-acting civilians” were on the scene before emergency services arrived and spotted a man in the water.
- 07/06/2019 – Bruce Peninsula National Park, Georgian Bay, near Tobermory – A 24-year-old Vaughan man while swimming in a popular tourist destination in Bruce Peninsula National Park, near Tobermory. The victim was reportedly swimming with a friend when he disappeared under the water just before 4 p.m. in the scenic area known for its cool, clear waters, which is a premier destination for visitors to the area. The body of the unidentified victim was pulled from the waters of what is known as the Grotto, located on the Georgian Bay shoreline on the west side of the peninsula, around 3 p.m. on July 7.
- 07/08/2019 – SOUTHHAMPTON, Wasaga Beach – John Doe*, M-70, drowned at Wasaga Beach. It is possible that he “suffered some sort of medical issue while swimming”. Then again, drowning is a medical issue which causes the heart to stop
- 07/22/2019 – McGraw County Park, Huron County – Gordon W. Lasceski, M-30, Around 8:48 p.m. the man had been swimming with his fiancé and her two children. The man and children got pulled out into deeper water, caught by surprise by a strong wave current. The children’s mother got them back to shore, but the 30-year-old went under water did not resurface. The man went under the water and never resurfaced. For more than 40 minutes, first responders and registered nurse anesthetist who lives nearby, tried to save the man on the beach and continued life-saving efforts in the ambulance. The victim was pronounced dead around 10:30 p.m.
- 08/04/2019 – BLUEWATER – Joyce Thomas, F-36, from London – A woman’s body was pulled from Lake Huron around 11 a.m. at address along Bluewater Highway, Bluewater on Sunday. Thomas worked as a lawyer, specializing in human rights, labour, employment and Indigenous law.
- 08/04/2019 – MANITOULIN ISLAND – FISHING, CANOE CAPSIZED – Yvon Toulouse M-48, from Sagamok First Nation. A fishing trip over the weekend turned into tragedy when a canoe capsized. Ontario Provincial Police say they responded to a report of a capsized canoe on Sunday, August 4 around 8:00 p.m. in the North Channel of Lake Huron, near Sagamok First Nation. They were assisted by the Anishinabek Police Service and Algoma Emergency Medical Services. Police say the pair was not wearing life jackets when the canoe overturned.
- 08/19/2019 – Darien Clay, M-26, was swimming with friends Monday afternoon near a sand bar at Tawas Point State Park. He became distressed in the water.
LAKE ERIE = 28
- 01/22/2019 – CLEVELAND – Joseph R. O’Donnell*, M-45, was found in the water near the Edgewater Yacht Club by Edgewater Park. O’Donnell had not been seen since Jan. 22. His cause of death has not been determined
- 02/14/2019 – Michel Gaudreault, M-48, of Leamington was reported missing 02/14/2019. His body was recovered 06/16/2019. After a post mortem examination in London, police determined the death was not suspicious.
- 05/18/2019 – GENEVA, OH – Cory Althar*, M-38, On Saturday, May 18, Althar and 19-year-old Jimmy Wells, departed in a 15-foot skiff and had not returned before dark. Radio calls were made from multiple people around 7:30 p.m. Saturday reporting to have heard possible calls for help, and a report of two people in the water. An overturned boat was spotted by a helicopter at 2 a.m. on May 19, about three miles from shore. The U.S. Coast Guard and Ohio Department of Natural Resources had boats in the water searching for them Sunday. The search is now a recovery operation.
- 05/18/2019 – GENEVA, OH – James Wells*, M-19, On Saturday, May 18, 38-year-old Cory Althar and Wells, departed in a 15-foot skiff and had not returned before dark. Radio calls were made from multiple people around 7:30 p.m. Saturday reporting to have heard possible calls for help, and a report of two people in the water. An overturned boat was spotted by a helicopter at 2 a.m. on May 19, about three miles from shore. The U.S. Coast Guard and Ohio Department of Natural Resources had boats in the water searching for them Sunday. The search is now a recovery operation.
- 05/20/2019 – CLEVELAND, OH – Douglas S. Price, M-56, of Cleveland was recovered from Lake Erie on Tuesday afternoon, nearly a full day after he jumped into the water near Voinovich Park in downtown Cleveland.
- 06/08/2019– HURON, OH – Pier Washoff – Henry J. Stout, of Reynoldsburg, Ohio. Fell into the lake and swept away by waves. The police department tells Channel 3 Stout was trying to get from the pier to the lighthouse, and was most likely knocked off of the pier by a wave.
- 06/26/2019 – Brandon Stegall, M-23, of Sandusky. Authorities responded to the 300 block of Cement Avenue just after 6 p.m. Wednesday for a report a man in the water. Spencer Lippus, 23, who alerted police and is a friend Stegall, told officers that the two of them had gone out on the lake in a zodiac boat. Stegall went for a swim but started to drown. Lippus jumped in the water and tried to save him but was unsuccessful. Lippus then drove the boat back to shore and called police, the Sandusky Register reported. Lippus was later charged with operating a boat under the influence after telling police he drank three cans of beer and declining to finish a sobriety test. Authorities said there were no signs of foul play on the boat and no indication of trauma on Stegall’s body after he was pulled from the water, according to the Sandusky Register.
- 07/08/2019 – HURON, OH – Alvin Martin, M-18, recovered 07/09/2019, would-be rescuer at Nickel Plate Beach in Huron, OH on Sunday. He was trying to help a mother and two kids struggling in the water. During their rescue efforts, Martin went under the water and didn’t resurface. A human chain was formed in the water in effort to rescue the teen. Rescue boats were also deployed in the water and a helicopter searched from the air. The U.S. Coast Guard, Ohio Department of Natural Resources and several area fire departments assisted in the rescue operation.
- 07/19/2019 – WESTFIELD, N.Y. – John Penhollow, M-24, of Jamestown. Three people were swimming between the break walls in Barcelona Harbor when the man drowned. Responding agencies consisted of the Chautauqua County Water Emergency Team, the Westfield Police Department, Westfield Fire Department, Chautauqua County Medic, Chautauqua County Fire Police, Fuller Hose Company No. 1, and the Coast Guard.
- 07/21/2019 – CONNEAUT, OH – Conneaut Township Park – Hector Lozada, M-17, of Cleveland, went under the water while swimming an estimated 40 feet between the two portions of the breakwall, around 6:00 p.m. near Conneaut Township Park.
- 07/20/2019 – Lost Peninsula in the Maumee Bay – Burl E. Steele, M-47, of Maumee. The Coast Guard got a call for a man who went overboard on a boat around 7:30 Saturday not far from Lost Peninsula in the Maumee Bay. Members from Coast Guard Station Toledo are searching the water by boat while crews from Coast Guard Station Detroit search from the air. The body of the missing boater on Lake Erie was recovered by the Toledo Fire and Rescue Dive team on Monday.
- 07/21/2019 – HURON, OH – Nickel Plate Beach – Brittany Young, F-29, of Vermilion, was swimming with her husband and three children when she went under and did not resurface. The Huron police and fire departments responded to conduct the search along with the U.S. Coast Guard, using two boats and a helicopter, the Ohio Department of Natural Resources, and the Milan, Norwalk, Perkins Township, and Sandusky Fire Departments. Body recovered 07/25/2019.
- 07/29/2019 – AVON LAKE, OH – Jonathan Luke Sewell, M-31, of Wooster. Two lifeguards pulled him from the Lake Erie at Veteran’s Memorial Park on Lake Road near Avon Belden Road. He was taken to University Hospitals St. John Medical Center July 29. He was pronounced dead, Sunday, six days after he was pulled from the water.
- 07/29/2019 – CATAWBA ISLAND, OH – SWIMMING – Donald Auxter, M-65, Around 3 p.m., near Gem Beach Marina in Catawba Island, authorities received a call that a man went missing while swimming in the lake with his family, he search was called off around 4:35 p.m. after the Ottawa County Sheriff’s Office recovered the body of the man. Station Marblehead confirmed the man had drowned in a Facebook post and stressed the importance of wearing a life jacket. The man’s identity has not been released at this time.
- 08/05/2019 – Ivan Yoder, M-44, of Wayne County. The U.S. Coast Guard responded to the call at 4:35 p.m. after what was described as a 20-foot, open-construction boat that crashed in Lake Erie about 10 miles north of Lorain. The Coast Guard responded to find one person in the boat and four in the water, Neff said. “One of the boat’s occupants said the crash was caused because it had hit three wakes”.
- 08/08/2019 – RIPLEY, NY – CLIFF JUMPING – Alex L. Musser, M-19, of Erie, PA. Four males had reportedly gone to the Ripley Beach area to go cliff jumping and two of the males, both 19-year-old, jumped into the water and became distressed. Musser drowned.
- 08/17/2019 – BOATER – CONNEAUT, OH – Raymond Burns, M-58, of Kensington, PA – The U.S. Coast Guard is searching for a missing boater after a vessel capsized in Ashtabula County on Saturday morning. The incident occurred around 9:30 a.m., when four boaters where dumped into Lake Erie about 10 miles off the coast of Conneaut after getting caught in an isolated storm. A fisherman happened to be nearby and was able to rescue three of the boaters
- 08/21/2019 – Haldimand County, near the shoreline in Featherstone – John Doe, M-48, he went missing about an hour after setting out in is his inflatable boat. 911 call at 11:00 a.m., his vessel was located unoccupied.
- 08/17/2019 – LASALLE, MI – Jill Jolene Parrinello-Davey, F-50, of Manchester, Jill and Darrin had been reported missing a week ago. They were found inside a car that was submerged in Lake Erie waters off Toledo Beach Marina. The car was in about 13 feet of water about 50 feet offshore. The car was also close to the parking lot of the Sand Bar where the couple had been visiting. Their cell phones shut down around 1 a.m. Saturday. Authorities theorized that the couple left the bar and the driver of the car mistakenly drove into the lake. The car was about 50′ offshore because vehicles that submerge float before settling.
- 08/17/2019 – LASALLE, MI – Darrin Paul Gabbard, M-48, of Allen Park. Jill and Darrin had been reported missing a week ago. They were found inside a car that was submerged in Lake Erie waters off Toledo Beach Marina. The car was in about 13 feet of water about 50 feet offshore. The car was also close to the parking lot of the Sand Bar where the couple had been visiting. Their cell phones shut down around 1 a.m. Saturday. Authorities theorized that the couple left the bar and the driver of the car mistakenly drove into the lake. The car was about 50′ offshore because vehicles that submerge float before settling.
- 08/21/2019– HALDIMAND COUNTY, FETHERSTONE POINT – FISHING – David Doyle, M-48, fishing, Police say Doyle went fishing around 11 a.m. on Thursday, Aug. 22 in a small boat near Featherstone Point, south of Fisherville in Haldimand County. But when a friend looked at the lake from a telescope about an hour later, police say, they saw that Doyle was gone and the boat was empty. His body was recovered 08/25/2019.
- 09/01/2019 – MISSING – BOATING/FISHING – Robin Eckleberry, M-46, Eckleberry is believed to have gone fishing early Sunday morning by himself. He left before sunrise and was not heard from that afternoon when family and friends expected him home. Cleveland Metroparks Police Department received an “overdue boater” call at 7 p.m. Sunday. It’s unclear how Eckleberry disappeared. Parishioners and authorities say a single shoe, cell phone and life jacket were found but no fishing net. BODY RECOVERED 10/01/2019 –FAIRPORT HARBOR, OH – Robin Eckelberry, 46, was found in Lake Erie off Fairport Harbor on Saturday. The father of three has been missing since the Sunday of Labor Day weekend when he set off alone on a fishing trip on Lake Erie and didn’t return home. He left from a dock near Edgewater Park around 4 a.m. Sept. 1 and was supposed to return by 2 p.m. the same day. When he failed to return, a search that included boats and aircraft was launched and his boat was found idling about a mile offshore. The Coast Guard surmises Robin, who was not wearing a life jacket, fell overboard into the rough waters while fishing that day.
- 09/05/2019 – Jane Doe, F-53, from Haldimand County was pulled from Lake Erie in Nanticoke. A vehicle belonging to the woman was found parked nearby.
- 09/22/2019 – LEAMINGTON – Robert Tonato, M-54, of Windsor was pulled from the water at Seacliff Beach near Erie Street South around 7 p.m.
- 09/25/2019 – CLEVELAND, OH – Sharaf Alhashim, M-24, Man dies after chasing errant volleyball into Lake Erie – the man was playing volleyball with friends late Wednesday at the East Ninth Street Pier near downtown Cleveland. The volleyball bounced into the water, and the young man jumped in the lake to retrieve the ball. The man struggled to return to the pier, and two of his friends jumped into the lake to help him. They weren’t able to reach him before he slipped below the surface.
- 11/19/2019 – CLEVELAND, OH – FISHING – Earnest James, M-45, of Cleveland was one of nearly 8,000 people enrolled as a competitor in the Annual 2019 Walleye Fall Brawl Fishing Competition. The U.S. Coast Guard found James’ body about 10:30 a.m. Monday, about 2 miles off into the lake off the East 72nd Street marina.
- 12/09/2019– MONROE TOWNSHIP, OH – FISHING – Kenneth Stephen Sisk, 51, of Taylor. The accident happened about 7:45 a.m. Sunday in Bolles Harbor, about a mile offshore. The call for help involved two boaters on a 16-foot vessel that was taking on water; the boat got tangled up in a fishing net and had flipped over by the time first responders arrived with their boats for a search. Sisk was not recovered. It is not know if he was wearing a life jacket. Body recovered 02/26/2020 near Ford Beach, 3200 block of E. Elm Ave., in the City of Monroe.
- 12/28/2019 – Presque Isle State Park, PA – Joy Bartlett*, F-72, Duck hunters discovered the body along the shoreline near the East Pier around 8:30 a.m. It was found tangled in bushes in the water, and a boat was used to remove the body from the water. The body is that of a woman who was between 60-70 years old, according to State Police. She is approximately 5′ 5″ tall and 135 pounds with shorter gray and white hair. The woman was dressed in multiple layers of thermal underwear top and bottom. She was wearing a blue hooded jacket, winter ankle-high boots and a ring on her left hand.
LAKE ONTARIO = 10
- 01/27/2019 – John Doe, M-?, Toronto police say they believe it was an accident when a car plunged into the icy waters of Lake Ontario on Sunday near Billy Bishop Airport, killing its driver. “While the investigation continues, we do believe that this was accidental,” Sgt. Brett Moore, spokesperson for Toronto police’s traffic services, told CBC Toronto in an email on Monday. Divers pulled a man’s body from the nearly frozen lake after the vehicle fell into the water near the ferry dock at Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport. A dive team and the police marine unit had scoured the area for hours.
- 07/02/2019 – David Black, M-55 A man and a woman in their 50s have been found dead after divers recovered a vehicle that plunged into Lake Ontario.
- 07/02/2019 – Natalie Black, F-51 A man and a woman in their 50s have been found dead after divers recovered a vehicle that plunged into Lake Ontario.
- 07/09/2019 – OSWEGO, N.Y. – Karen M. Aubertine, F-32, found near Mercer Street, between East 9th Street and East 10th Street, just before 10 a.m. Tuesday. The circumstances surrounding the woman’s death are unknown and does not appear suspicious, police said.
- 07/14/2019 – PICKERING, ONT, Beachfront Park, Swimming after son in offshore wind, Nichole McWatters, F-33, A mother who died after jumping into Lake Ontario over the weekend was trying to help her six-year-old son who got carried away from shore while on a floating device. The 33-year-old woman, as well as three others, entered the body of water at Beachfront Park in Pickering, Ont., just east of Toronto, on Sunday just before 4 p.m. to assist the young boy in distress. “It’s believed the mother’s six-year-old son was on an inflatable device when the wind caught it and took him away from shore,” investigators said in a news release issued on Monday.
- 07/26/2019 – TORONTO, CA – CHERRY BEACH – Jane Doe, F-?, around 9 a.m. lifeguards went in toe water at the west end of the beach near the dog park and pulled the woman out and performed CPR. She later died.
- 07/27/2019 – NIAGARA, JORDAN HARBOR – POSSIBLE KAYAK OR SUP RENTAL – David Martens, M-46, of Grimsby was last seen at about 3 p.m. on July 27 at the Beacon Harbourside kayak rental area along Lake Ontario in Jordan Harbour. His body was recovered 08/01/2019. Martens’ vehicle was found at the Beacon Harbourside and investigators think he may have rented a kayak or paddleboard. Police say they had conducted water and shoreline searches in conjunction with the Canadian Coast Guard. They add that the search included the use of vessels, planes, helicopters and underwater sonar. Police say currents and wave action had been northernly since Martens went missing.
- 08/07/2019 – Ryan David Orbaker, M-20, from Lyons, New York died Wednesday when he went for a swim in Lake Ontario off Point Peninsula in the Jefferson County Town of Lyme.07/25/2020 – TORONTO – SWIMMING – John Doe, M-?, The body of a missing man has been located in Lake Ontario near Toronto Islands, Toronto Police said. The man was last seen at 9 p.m. on . Police say he may have gone swimming at the time. The body was found just after 8:15 a.m. on July 26 by Toronto Police’s marine unit.
- 07/26/2020 – SWIMMING AROUND 1 P.M. -– BYSTANDER RESCUES – North Beach Provincial Park, Alex Aloysius M-63, of Oshawa, Ont.
- 07/26/2020 – SWIMMING AROUND 6 P.M. – BYSTANDER RESCUES – North Beach Provincial Park – Muhammad Azmat, M-25, of Mississauga, Ont.
CAUSE OF DEATH NOT YET CONFIRMED
- 07/06/2019 – John Doe, M-?, One person is dead and another has been rushed to hospital in serious condition after a Sea Doo collision in Lake Ontario on Saturday morning.
[NOTE: 2018 stats are currently under review for final confirmation]
117 Great Lakes Drownings in 2018
740 Great Lakes Drownings since 2010 (+/-)
(Last updated 12/23/2018, 11:30 a.m.)
GREAT LAKES, USA – The Great Lakes Surf Rescue Project (GLSRP) announces its current drowning statistics. In 2018, the GLSRP is tracking 117 Great Lakes drownings. Overall since 2010, the GLSRP has tracked 740 Great Lakes drownings. Full statistics here. Note: * = (+/-) Awaiting 100% confirmation of drowning.
74 drownings in 2010
87 in 2011
99 in 2012
67 in 2013
54 in 2014
55 in 2015
99 in 2016
88 in 2017
117 to date in 2018
740 since 2010
To date in 2018 by Lake:
43 in Lake Michigan
5 in Lake Superior
8 in Lake Huron
36 in Lake Erie
25 in Lake Ontario
117 to date in 2018
LAKE MICHIGAN = 43
- 01/26/2018 – CHICAGO, IL – John Doe, M-?*, a call to 911 reporting a man in the water near the rocks at Promontory Point in the Hyde Park, 5300 block of South Lake Shore Drive.
- 02/05/2018 – CALEDONIA, WI – Christopher Crowell*, M-58,. Crowell was recovered at the 700 block of Waters Edge Road, north of the Siena Center grounds. Sometime between 10:45 p.m. Sunday and 5 a.m. Monday, Crowell left his nearby home and was reportedly walking on a pathway where he would normally walk next to the lake. Crowell apparently fell off an icy bluff near the pathway into the lake
- 02/09/2018 – CHICAGO, IL – Demetrius Yancy, M-63, was found in the water at 3:34 p.m. Feb. 9 near the 3000 block of North Lake Shore Drive in Lake Michigan near Belmont Harbor. Died of drowning, according to the medical examiner’s office. Hypothermia due to environmental cold exposure was listed as a secondary cause. 02/09/2018 Found along the 3200 block of North Lake Shore Drive, in the city’s Lakeview East neighborhood. Rescuers trudged through thigh-deep snow to pull man from frigid Lake Michigan – Ron Dorneker told reporters the person was recovered from the water and then dragged in a sled-like device over the thick snow to a waiting ambulance. It was not clear why the man, who was not wearing any clothes, was in the water. (Additional Story here.)
- 04/10/2018 – BENTON HARBOR, MI – Ralph Ford*, M-74, washed up near the shoreline in Rocky Gap Park, Berrien County, Michigan. He was reported missing on April 10 when he was last seen on his dock at Brian’s Marina in St. Joseph. The estimated distance from where the man was last scene to the spot where his body was recovered to be at least a mile by water.
- 05/01/2018 – CLEVELAND, WI – Minhbao Pham, M-38, On May 1, dispatchers received a report of a person in the water who appeared to be in distress. Witnesses said they saw the person go under water without resurfacing. The SCUBA team searched the water near Hika Bay Park in the Village of Cleveland, WI. A vehicle was found in the parking area at the boat launch. Body recovered on 05/22/2018 – Minhbao Pham, M-38*, Manitowoc County sheriff: Man found dead on Lake Michigan shoreline Tuesday evening about 1.5 miles south of Hika Bay Park in Cleveland.
- 06/02/2018 – WAUKEGAN, IL – Angel Sedano, M-16. Firefighters were called to the Waukegan Municipal Beach about 10:30 p.m. Saturday to assist police in the search for a missing person, later determined to be Sedano. His body was discovered about 11 a.m. Sunday 06/03/2018 by Waukegan Fire Department divers in about 15 feet of water in a harbor channel.
- 06/04/2018 – MANISTIQUE, MI – John Doe, M-23, According to a DNR press release, One rescued. One drowned. “At about 3:30 p.m. Monday, regional dispatchers received a call from a man who said his son and a friend had taken a kayak out into Lake Michigan off South Barques Point Trail, which is located south of Manistique. The man, who was calling from a vacation rental property they were staying at, said the kayak had overturned. Strong wind prevented his son and his friend from returning to shore. He told dispatchers he could see the men bobbing in the water next to the kayak. Neither man had a life jacket. The water temperature was about 50 degrees. This incident emphasizes the importance of wearing life jackets while boating,” said Lt. Skip Hagy, a DNR regional law supervisor. “Once again, the Great Lakes have proved they are nothing to underestimate, especially on days with high seas.”
- 06/30/2018 – KENOSHA, WI – John Doe, M-28, Would-be Rescuer – Waves and Outlet Current – The man had been at the beach with his 10-year-old daughter and his 7-year-old son near Pennoyer Park at the mouth of the Pike River. His daughter was swimming and had some trouble. Her father, who doesn’t know how to swim, went to get her and became distressed himself. It was the second drowning this month at the mouth of the Pike River, an area that is particularly dangerous for swimming. The flow of the river into the lake creates strong currents that pull swimmers away from shore, and sometimes a dangerous undertow. The beach near the river is posted with signs warning of dangerous conditions. “I can’t stress enough that the mouth of the creek is the most dangerous place to swim,” Leipzig said. Beller said three more people were rescued from the water near the river on Sunday afternoon. He said at about 3:15 p.m. two teenagers were swimming off Pennoyer Park when “they got pulled out by the current and people heard them yelling for help.” A stranger, a 37-year-old man who had been at the beach, heard their calls and went in to help them, then he too became distressed, Beller said. He said two men who were kitesurfing in the area heard them and rescued the three people and brought them to shore.
- 07/05/2018 – GRAND HAVEN, MI – Emmanuel Niyomugabo, M-25, Body pulled from Lake Michigan in Grand Haven
- 07/05/2018 – KEWAUNEE, WI – Mark Wautelet, M-38, MISSING – Recovery Mission The U.S. Coast Guard is looking for a missing fisherman on Lake Michigan near Kewaunee. Officials are searching Thursday for Mark Wautelet, who is in his 60s. Officials say Kewaunee Dispatch notified the Coast Guard late Wednesday of a 35-foot pleasure craft with one occupant that left the Kewaunee Marina at about 5 p.m. and was due back by about 9:30 p.m. The Coast Guard says a helicopter found the vessel beached on shore early Thursday before it left to refuel. Kewaunee County Sheriff’s Department officials confirmed nobody was aboard the boat, which was rigged for fishing. A helicopter was to continue searching Thursday.
- 07/06/2018 – CHICAGO, IL – Darinanne Torres, F-13, of Chicago. Playing in the waves with 4 friends on the North Side at Loyola Beach. Rescue crews searched the water for 45 minutes and eventually found the girl. The performed CPR and she was taken to the hospital. She was unresponsive and is critical condition.
- 07/10/2018 – CHICAGO, IL – Horacio Leon Jr**., M-55, He was taken to the hospital in critical condition after being pulled from Lake Michigan Tuesday at Monroe Harbor near Jackson Drive – 300 S. Lake Shore Drive (nb). The media did not follow up on the condition of Mr. Leon. His daughter contacted the GLSRP and notified that Leon had died July 23, 2018. (Death certificate listed suicide. His daughter is appealing the certificate. She states that there was no depression, suicidal tendecies or reason to believe that he commited suicide. He had purchased a new mountain bike the day he drowned. Was riding around downtown Chicago taking tourist pictures. His bike was never recovered.)
- 07/21/2018 – CHICAGO, IL – Jon Santarelli*, M-53, CFD, Coast Guard Searching for Man Overboard From Race to Mackinac Boat — 35-year-old man falling into the water from a boat competing in the Race to Mackinac. The boat was several miles offshore near Navy Pier. According to authorities, Santarelli was wearing red gear when he went overboard from the boat “Imedi.” There were life-jackets on the boat, but it’s unclear if he was wearing one. As of 9 p.m., the search was called off due to darkness, according to authorities. The search is set to resume Sunday. High waves caused problems in the search.
- 07/23/2018 – GARY, IN – Tiara Hardy, F-24, Swimming. Waves 3-4’. Caught in rip current around 7:25 p.m. at Marquette Park Beach, Gary, IN. Lifeguards off Duty.
- 07/28/2018 – CHICAGO, IL – John Doe, M-50, Jet skier without lifejacket submerged for over 15 minutes before he was pulled from the water at 59th Street Harbor.
- 08/05/2018 – GRAND HAVEN, MI – Jeremiah Diaz, M-20, of Lansing, MI. Emergency responders were called to the area of the State Park Pavilion around 3:45 p.m. on a report of several swimmers struggling. Emergency responders organized human chains to find another swimmer who had gone under. Around the same time, five swimmers were pulled from the water in the same area. Two of them, a 17-year-old girl and a 20-year-old man, were hospitalized. They were later listed in stable condition. Less than half an hour before the incident with multiple victims, a 46-year-old Alto man was pulled from the water by bystanders. He was hospitalized in serious condition.
- 08/05/2018 – GRAND HAVEN, MI – David Knaffle, M-64, of Wyoming. Crews were called to Grand Haven State Park at 1001 South Harbor Drive shortly after noon on a report of a man struggling in the water near the Stat Park Pavilion. He went completely underwater before help arrived. Emergency responders, an off-duty firefighter from East Grand Rapids and other beachgoers formed a human chain to find Knaffle about 12 minutes after the initial call to 911. It was the first of three incidents on the lake at Grand Haven Sunday. A few hours after Knaffle was pulled from the water, a 46-year-old Alto man had to be rescued and was hospitalized in serious condition. Less than an hour after that, more swimmers had to be rescued at Grand Haven State Park. Again, authorities and bystanders formed a human chain to pull five swimmers from the water. One of them, a 20-year-old from Lansing, later died.
- 08/05/2018 – PORTAGE, IN – Salomon C. Martinez, M-30, from Cincinnati, OH. The victim was among five friends who went swimming together at the Portage Lakefront Riverwalk Beach, but he failed to resurface with them. Portage and Porter Fire Department rescuers located the victim about 200 feet from shore and pulled him out of the water about 4:46 p.m. A south wind had made the lake surface choppy. They began cardiopulmonary resuscitation and emergency medical service personnel transported him to a hospital.
- 08/09/2018 – CHICAGO, IL – James DeAndre Sharpe, M-48, The Chicago Police Department Marine Unit recovered the body of a 48-year-old man from Lake Michigan on the city’s South Side early Thursday in the 4600-block of South Lake Shore Drive in the city’s Kenwood neighborhood, south of Oakwood – 41st Street Beach.
- 08/11/2018 – CHICAGO, IL – BOATING ACCIDENT – Mitchell Z. Sroka, M-67, Sroka, who was driving the boat and his companion filled up the vehicle’s fuel tanks shortly before the explosion and fire. The tanks were about three-quarters full when Sroka, who was driving the boat, started its engines after washing it down, Cross said. “One engine started without issue,” he said. “The second engine misfired, then started again after another attempt, and then exploded a short time after that.” The explosion sent debris and both men into the water, he said. Sroka was pronounced dead at the scene. Family, friends mourn avid Arlington Heights boater Link
- 08/15/2018 – OTTAWA COUNTY, MI – Brandon Schmidt, M-20, about 8:21 p.m. near the 7900 block of Margaret Avenue at Windsnest Park in Port Sheldon Township. A man was about 20 feet out into the lake when he disappeared. He was recovered and taken to Holland Hospital in critical condition and later died.
- 08/17/2018 – WAUKEGAN, IL – John Doe, 14, The 14-year-old boy who went under while trying to swim across a channel between Waukegan Harbor and the city’s beach at about 6 p.m. Friday has died. The teen was one of four young men who attempted to cross from a breakwall near Stiner Pavilion, off the south end of Municipal Beach, to another bordering the harbor. While one teen made it across and was helped from the water by passersby, two stayed on the Municipal Beach side, and they saw the teen go underwater. The incident was the second in the channel this summer. In early June, a 16-year-old from Gurnee was found dead between the breakwalls the morning after he was reported missing from a lakefront gathering.
- 08/18/2018 – CHESTERTON, IN – Joshua Torres, M-10, approximately 4:45 p.m., Torres was pulled from Lake Michigan near the shores of Indiana Dunes State Park. North wind and waves. The boy was found face down in the water about 40 yards from shore. He was pulled from the water and CPR was started before he was transported to Porter Regional Hospital where he was later pronounced dead. Buoy 45007 4:50 p.m. Winds North, 13.6 mph/15.5 mph, 3’ NNE.
- 08/18/2018 – CHESTERTON, IN – Malik Freeman, M-14, approximately 5:40 p.m., Freeman was pulled from the water approximately 50 yards from shore near the same area. Two on-duty Porter Police Officers entered the water and pulled him to shore. CPR was initiated by an on-duty Chesterton Police Officer prior to being transported to Porter Regional Hospital where he was later airlifted to Comer Children’s Hospital Chicago in critical condition and later died. Buoy 45007 4:50 p.m. Winds North, 13.6 mph/15.5 mph, 3’ NNE.
- 08/20/2018 – BELGIUM, WI – Paige Berndt, F-32, An outing at Harrington Beach State Park turned tragic. One swimmer passed away and another remained missing Tuesday, Aug. 21. A group of five out camping took the plunge into Lake Michigan about 1 p.m. Monday, Aug. 20. Only four returned to shore. Ozaukee County sheriff’s officials said around 5 p.m. Monday the search for the missing swimmer, Ahmad Adl, transitioned from a rescue operation to a recovery effort.
- 08/20/2018 – BELGIUM, WI – Ahmad Adl, M-34, An outing at Harrington Beach State Park turned tragic. One swimmer passed away and another remained missing Tuesday, Aug. 21. (Adl’s body was recovered on 09/03/2018.) A group of five out camping took the plunge into Lake Michigan about 1 p.m. Monday, Aug. 20. Only four returned to shore. Ozaukee County sheriff’s officials said around 5 p.m. Monday the search for the missing swimmer, Ahmad Adl, transitioned from a rescue operation to a recovery effort.
- 08/25/2018 – FRANKFORT, MI – John Jarman Jr, M-?, of Olmsted Falls, Ohio was washed off the North Pier in Frankfort just before 10 a.m. Saturday morning. The man was pulled from the water by a family member and a police officer, officers said. CPR and other life-saving efforts were made but the man died, officers said.
- 08/27/2018 – LAKE FOREST, IL – Sebastian Duncan, M-20, Two kayakers were on the lake Sunday night. Conditions became rough and both kayaks capsized. Neither was wearing lifejackets. Duncan is missing. His body was recovered Saturday, 09/08/1018, near Fort Sheridan. He went missing after his kayak overturned Aug. 27 in waves on Lake Michigan.
- 08/27/2018 – MICHIGAN CITY, IN – Possibly swimming – Mark Gaff, M-48, pulled from the waters of Lake Michigan at Washington Park Beach around 2:15 p.m. Monday, August 27, 2018. He remained in critical condition as of Monday night. The water was smooth and calm at the time of the incident. Gaff died 08/30/2018. CPR EFFORTS: Jennifer Freese, of Michigan City, is a registered nurse at Franciscan Health Michigan City, and performed CPR on Gaff. Freese checked for a pulse and could not find one, so she went to work. “Someone was starting to do CPR, and I said I’m a nurse so they let me do it. I started CPR and we were able to get a pulse,” she said. “He never woke up all the time we were there. He was pretty blue and there was water coming up out of his mouth. I’m surprised he made it.”
- 08/31/2018 – CHICAGO, IL – Fallen in – Jane Doe, F-25. Early Friday morning a 25-year-old woman fell into Lake Michigan in the 3900-block of South Lake Shore Drive at about 2:01 a.m. Divers pulled the woman out of the water and she was transported to University of Chicago Medical Center, where she was pronounced dead.
- 08/31/2018 – CHICAGO, IL – Fallen in and/or Swimming – John Doe, M-30, A man was pulled from Lake Michigan Friday night at the 59th Street Harbor on the South Side about 8:45 p.m., in the 5900 block of South Lake Shore Drive; He had apparently fallen from “Dock C”, located behind the Museum of Science and Industry. Someone had attempted to throw a lifesaver to the man, but he went under, Chicago police said. Paramedics began CPR on the man and took him to the University of Chicago Medical Center where he died.
- 08/31/2018 – KENOSHA, WI – Tamara Brague, F-58, Brague had been boating with her husband and friends and had stopped at the Kenosha Yacht Club, 5130 Fourth Ave. on Simmons Island. At some point, the woman became separated from the others as they returned the boat to the harbor. Brague was found floating facedown in the lake at about 8:37 p.m. Friday by a fisherman. She was transported to the hospital where she later died.
- 09/06/2018 – KENOSHA, WI – PIER JUMPING – Donovan Anderson, M-17, A local teen jumped off the north pier of Kenosha Harbor, was overpowered by Lake Michigan currents and disappeared below the surface. A photo for the school yearbook turned tragic. A Scout Leader Rescue boat with sonar equipment and a Coast Guard helicopter failed in attempts to find the body.
- 09/08/2018 – CHICAGO, IL – SWEPT IN BY WAVE – “CRITICAL CONDITION” – Ramiro Calixto, M-? A man was swept in Lake Michigan near North Avenue Beach. He washed ashore at Oak Street, recovered, and rushed to hospital in extreme critical condition.
- 09/24/2018 – TRAVERSE CITY, MI – MISSING – West Grand Traverse Bay – Randy Robert Day, M-42, he may have been kayaking in West Grand Traverse Bay Monday morning. A charter boat captain reported finding a kayak Monday afternoon near Old Mission Peninsula’s Neahtawanta Point. Authorities found his vehicle parked at the Bowers Harbor boat launch Wednesday afternoon. They also found Day’s backpack that day at Lee Point at about 4:30 p.m., southeast of Suttons Bay.
- 10/01/2018 – MILWAUKEE, WI – near Erie Street – Hollice Darnell Neal, M-66, body recovered. It’s unknown where the man had entered the water, how long he had been in, and when he was last known to be alive.
- 10/04/2018 – CHICAGO, IL – Hysen Mani, M-87, was reported missing Thursday from the Jefferson Park neighborhood. He was found dead in Lake Michigan Friday at Montrose Beach by family members. He had apparently drowned. There were North wind and waves last Thursday.
- 10/06/2018 – RACINE, WI – John Doe, M-80, of Janesville was pulled out of the water around 8:30 a.m. at the Racine Yacht Club
- 10/13/2018 – RACINE, WI missing to WAYLAND, MI recovered – Daniel Sprecksel, M-59, of Racine, WI. Sprecksel was last seen fishing on a pier in Racine on Oct. 13, 2018. A missing person report was filed by Racine police on Oct. 17. The body was found 11/14/2018 on the water’s edge north of South Haven, MI, in Allegan County.
- 11/04/2018 – Highland Park, IL – Lena Lemesh, F-52, of Elgin, IL, went missing Sunday while swimming in Lake Michigan near Park Avenue Beach in Highland Park. She disappeared while she and nine other members of a cold-water swimming group attempted to navigate what authorities described as dangerous conditions. Her body was recovered 11/04/2018.
- 11/04/2018 – Highland Park, IL – Stanislaw Wlosek Jr., M-46. Cold water swimming, waves, and dangerous currents in Lake Michigan near Park Avenue Beach in Highland Park. He was with nine other members of a cold-water swimming group attempted to navigate what authorities described as dangerous conditions. Her body was recovered 11/10/2018.
- 12/21/2018 – CHICAGO, IL – Jane Doe, F-22, jumped in Lake Michigan at North Avenue break wall, Wind, waves, cold water were factors. She is till missing.
- 12/21/2018 – MICHIGAN CITY, IN – Slater Harkleroad, M-20, of Union Mills – Two young males were walking on the breakwall when they both fell into the water after being knocked over by waves. One of them was able to swim back to the breakwall and tried to throw a life ring out to rescue his friend. The other male, Slater Harkleroad, did not resurface. He was eventually recovered by the U.S. Coast Guard and was taken to Franciscan Health Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
LAKE SUPERIOR = 5
- 08/22/2018 – MUNISING, MI – Silvija Ronis, F-81, Ronis reportedly had Alzheimer’s and ventured into the lake at Munising Bay at approximately 12:35 p.m. for unknown reasons. The incident is being treated as a drowning. No foul play is suspected. A beach hazard statement warning of rough water conditions, strong currents and dangerous wave action had been in effect earlier in the week. Winds in the Munising area were measured at 37 mph that evening, according to the National Weather Service.
- 08/31/2018 – BAYFIELD, WI – Kayaking – Eric Fryman*, M-39; On Thursday evening a father and three children died after their kayak capsized in Lake Superior 3 to 4 foot waves; the wife was rescued.
- 08/31/2018 – BAYFIELD, WI – Kayaking – Kyra Fryman*, F-9; They were on their last “big hurrah before school starts” vacation, visiting the Apostle Islands’, Madeline Island, on Lake Superior. Kayak capsized in Lake Superior 3 to 4 foot waves; the mother was rescued.
- 08/31/2018 – BAYFIELD, WI – Kayaking – Annaliese Fryman*, F-5; They were on their last “big hurrah before school starts” vacation, visiting the Apostle Islands’, Madeline Island, on Lake Superior. Kayak capsized in Lake Superior 3 to 4 foot waves; the mother was rescued.
- 08/31/2018 – BAYFIELD, WI – Kayaking – Jansen Fryman*, M-3, They were on their last “big hurrah before school starts” vacation, visiting the Apostle Islands’, Madeline Island, on Lake Superior. Kayak capsized in Lake Superior 3 to 4 foot waves; the mother was rescued.
LAKE HURON = 8
- 02/04/2018 – FAIRHAVEN TWP, MI, 9:30 a.m. Sunday about a half mile west of Rose Island.– Dennis W. Shaw*, 73, of Fowlerville,Two men die after falling through ice on Saginaw Bay – the two men had been found in a few feet of water along with a four-wheeler. The incident came to authorities’ attention after a friend of had received a voicemail from one of the two men, saying they had broken through the ice and needed help.
- 02/04/2018 – FAIRHAVEN TWP, MI, 9:30 a.m. Sunday about a half mile west of Rose Island.– Willard E. Slider*, 69, of Caro. Two men die after falling through ice on Saginaw Bay – the two men had been found in a few feet of water along with a four-wheeler. The incident came to authorities’ attention after a friend of had received a voicemail from one of the two men, saying they had broken through the ice and needed help.
- 06/15/2018 – Debby Chambers, F-61, kayak overturned off Midland Bay Woods in Tay Township on Friday afternoon around 1:15 p.m. Chambers was of Port McNicoll. She’s a mother of two sons, both of whom are getting married later this year. It’s believed she went out on the water in her kayak to catch up with her dog, fell into the water, and drowned. The OPP say she was not wearing a life jacket.
- 06/17/2018 – John Doe, M-18, Friends were alarmed when an 18-year-old Sandusky man jumped into the water but didn’t surface around 4:30 p.m. outside the harbor wall in Port Sanilac. He was found unconscious and not responsive in about eight feet of water. The man was flown by Lifenet to a Saginaw hospital. CONDITION UNKNOWN.
- 07/07/2018 – Ayat Alkubet, F-2, pulled from Lake Huron, north of Grand Bend at Port Blake Conservation Area, located off Bluewater Veteran’s Highway, just after 9 p.m. Saturday. The toddler was unresponsive after being pulled from Lake Huron. She was taken to hospital, where she died two days later on Monday. Police said foul play is not suspected.
- 08/18/2018 – GEORGIAN BAY, OWEN SOUND – SWIMMING – Derick Henry, M-27, Authorities were searching for a man who jumped from a boat into Owen Sound harbor along with a family friend Saturday to rescue a family pet but the man “failed to surface”. The incident happened north of the Georgian Yacht Club, past the buoys. Body recovered 08/21/2018.
- 08/25/2018 – GRAND BEND, ON – Kane Rodricks, M-29, Shortly before 6 p.m. on Saturday Emergency Medical Services responded to an address on Bluewater Highway near Grand Bend following reports of a man in distress in Lake Huron. The man had been swimming with friends and family when he submerged. He was located unconscious and pulled to shore but efforts to resuscitate him failed.
- 09/02/2018 – COLLINGWOOD HARBOR, ONTARIO – Chris Robins, M-35, He was swimming at Collingwood harbor with friends at approximately 7 p.m. Sunday night when they lost sight of him – swimming from the end of a pier to a boat that was tied up nearby, but they say he never made it to the boat.
LAKE ERIE = 36
- 01/10/2018 – Derik Bondy, M-40, NEWPORT, MI near Stony Point Peninsula. The body of the missing Frenchtown Township man who plunged through the ice while riding an ATV on Lake Erie last week has been recovered in about 10 feet of water about 1,200 feet offshore on the lake side of Stony Point. Body Recovered 01/18/2018.
- 02/17/2018 – Thomas Fields, M-65, BODY OF BUFFALO MAN RECOVERED FROM LAKE ERIE – found in Presque Isle Bay near Erie, Pennsylvania. Surveillance video from a nearby tower shows that Fields was alone when he fell off a dock called Dobbins Landing at about 6:00 a.m. on Saturday.
- 03/29/2018 – John Doe, M-?, Body Pulled From Lake Erie near Pelee Island Ferry dock on Erie St. in Leamington.
- 04/05/2018 – Steve Dreyer*, M-54 – The Lake County Sheriff’s Office had been searching for Dreyer since the evening of Jan. 8. Dreyer’s body washed ashore from Lake Erie on April 5. At that time the coroner’s office said the body had been in the water for “some time.” The Ashtabula County Coroner’s Office said a cause of death is still under investigation*, but there are no signs of foul play.
- 05/06/2018 – A fisherman called the OPP around noon after finding a body floating in the water about a kilometre off the Kingsville dock.
- 05/12/2018 – Eric Przykuta, M-43, Przykuta was one of three people on board a 23-25′ boat that crashed into the break wall near the middle gap of the Outer Harbor, according to the U.S. Coast Guard. Two other men on the boat were able to make it safely onto the break wall and call for help. Przykuta could not be located in the water following the crash. He was eventually found on the lake side of the wall around 8:30 Sunday morning. His body was found not far from the point of impact.According to Coast Guard officials, the water temperature late Saturday was around 45 degrees and waves were less than one foot. They say it appears none of the men were wearing life jackets. A bag full of life jackets was recovered, and a single life jacket was found on the wall. The victim did not have a life jacket on when his body was found.
- 05/16/2018 – Robert Maccubbin, M-50, was fishing in a raft recovered. He was found in the water near the raft near Lake Shore Road, Hamburg, N.Y. He died at the hospital.
- 06/07/2018 – John Doe, M-?, the body of an older white male was recovered from Lake Erie Thursday afternoon amongst a reed bed along the shoreline, near Grand River Marine. No further details were available Thursday.
- 06/15/2018 – Anthony Pucek, M-57, at Edgewater Park. Cleveland Metroparks rangers received a call about 11:50 p.m. for a report of a swimmer in distress.
- 06/21/2018 – John Doe, M-?, a body was recovered from Lake Erie about 1.5 miles off Woodlawn Beach on Wednesday. The body was discovered by jet skiers. Sheriff’s reports say the individual appears to a white male with some facial hair, but due to advanced decomposition, no other discerning marks or features were visible. The deceased was wearing a black jacket, possibly leather, jeans and socks. The condition of the clothing was deteriorated. The Erie County Medical Examiner’s Office will conduct an autopsy to determine the cause of death and to identify the individual.
- 06/21/2018 – David P. Kaczor, M-37, Investigators said the man was last seen around 10 p.m. on Thursday before adjusting his boat lines due to heavy winds near the Jet express dock. His body was recovered near the docks at Put-in-Bay early Friday afternoon.
- 06/27/2018 – Pulak Malik, M-21, The 21 year old man reportedly entered the water from a dock at South Bass Island State Park near Stone Cove.
- 06/27/2018 – James Fisher, M-80, In Marblehead, an 80 year old man was reported missing after not returning from a trip to clean his boat in Bay Point Marina. After approximately 20 minutes of searching the area, the Sandusky Fire Department’s dive team recovered the body of James Fisher, 80, beneath his boat.
- 06/30/2018 – Gary Matney*, M-40, A Northwood man was killed in a personal watercraft crash on Lake Erie near the lakeshore Reno Beach community in eastern Lucas County, authorities said.7:26 p.m. It’s about a half-mile northwest of the Anchor Pointe Marina. The cause of death was pending an autopsy scheduled for Monday. The incident remains under investigation by the Ohio Department of Natural Resources’ Division of Watercraft [*may not be a drowning. may be from the collision].
- 07/01/2018 – William Paul Alex, M-62, Swimming – drowned while swimming in Lake Erie off North East, 11000 block of Old Lake Road in North East Township, on the lakefront, at about 2:30 p.m. Sunday after an unresponsive male was reported floating in the lake there. Trooper Cynthia Schick, spokeswoman for state police Troop E in Lawrence Park, said Alex was attending a family function in North East Township on Sunday when he entered the water and tried to swim to a large rock about 150 yards offshore. “He began to struggle and couldn’t make it back,” Schick said.
- 07/06/2018 – Shaud Howell, M-13, of Cleveland, went missing Friday evening from Edgewater Beach when he was swimming. Red Flags were posted when lifeguards were on duty. His body was recovered Sunday. Rescue crews had scoured the area up until 11:30 p.m. on Friday when they decided to suspend the search due to high waves and darkness. Lifeguards are on duty daily from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. from now until the second Sunday in August, and then on weekends only through Labor Day.
- 07/21/2018 – Catherine “Caty” Winfield,* F-12, a swimming accident at Crescent Beach in Fort Erie, Canada. As Posted in “Fort Erie Neighborhood Watch, Rescue and Alerts” Facebook Group by Sharon Bowers – “There was a drowning in Crescent Beach on Saturday. A twelve-year-old girl from Buffalo, NY died. Obit in Buffalo News. Condolences to family. So sad.”
- 08/06/2018 – EUCLID, OH – John Doe*, M-?, a body recovered from the water near Arcadia Beach, Euclid, OH. It appears the body was in the water for “some time,” Houser said. The Cuyahoga County Medical Examiner’s Office will determine the person’s identity, he said. Investigators could not immediately determine whether any foul play was involved in the person’s death, due to the state of the body, Houser said.
- 08/10/2018 – ERIE, PA – Richard Miller, 35, of Karthaus, Pennsylvania in Clearfield County. The coroner says Miller was likely in the water for a few days before being found. A member of the Presque Isle Yacht Club made the discovery Friday morning. The cause of death has been determined as accidental, due to drowning. There was no sign of foul play.
- 08/11/2018 – CLEVELAND, OH – Jim Hix, M-75, of Claremore, was competing in the USA Triathlon when crews with the U.S. Coast Guard spotted his body floating in the lake. He was pulled on board a rescue boat and crews began to administer CPR. Hix was rushed to a nearby hospital, where he was pronounced dead. CLEVELAND, Ohio — The 75-year-old Navy dentist who drowned Saturday in Lake Erie while competing in the USA Triathlon died doing what he loved, his son said. “It’s a sad day but I’m taking some comfort in the fact that he lived a good life, all the way until the end,” Jason Hix said. “He died doing what he enjoyed. He died something he loved to do and was healthy until the end.”
- 08/15/2018 – HAMBURG, NY – Jeffrey Biehlerm*, M-61, a male kite surfer died Wednesday while surfing off of Hamburg Town Park at 4420 Lake Shore Road.
- 08/17/2018 – PUT-IN-BAY – John Doe, M-?, A man jumped into the water off of his boat and didn’t resurface Friday morning around 11:05 a.m. on the south side of South Bass Island.
- 08/20/2018 – GENEVA-ON-THE-LAKE, State Park – Brandon Alves, M-20, of New Port Richey, Florida. About 4:25 p.m., He was trying to swim across the channel at the mouth of Geneva State Park Marina harbor and submerged.
- 08/21/2018 – ASHTABULA, OH – Micah Nugent, M-16, was swimming at Walnut Beach and was caught in dangerous 3- to 5-foot waves. He was pulled out of the water by the break wall. As soon as he was pulled out of the water, the fire department began administering CPR to him and he was transported to ACMC and then later transported to MetroHealth Hospital in Cleveland. Unfortunately Micah succumbed to his drowning injuries on 08/22/2018.
- 08/25/2018 – MENTOR, OH – Robert Allen, M-46, he jumped into the water for a swim near the Mentor Lagoons Nature Preserve and Marina Saturday night, according to the U.S. Coast Guard. Allen was reportedly wearing a life-jacket when he jumped into the water, but a person in the boat with Allen at the time lost sight of him.
- 08/26/2018 – CRYSTAL BEACH, ON – John Doe, M-50, SeaDoo accident near the Crystal Beach boat launch in front of The Palmwood, 3823 Terrace Ln, Crystal Beach, ON L0S 1B0, Canada., at about 5:20 p.m. Report of big waves during the incident.
- 08/31/2018 – VERMILION, OH – Boating & Fishing – John Doe, M-66, Boater’s body found in Lake Erie off Vermilion coast at noon approximately three miles north of the mouth of the Vermilion River. He was not wearing a life jacket. His unmanned boat washed up on the shore of Lake Erie near Cranberry Creek at about 9 p.m. Friday. The 23-foot Sea Ray showed signs of recent occupancy, a cellphone, wallet and handheld GPS, which was still operating. The man used his cellphone at about 1 p.m. Friday to call his wife. He told her that the fish weren’t biting, but he was going to stay out a while longer. Lake Erie waves on Friday afternoon were reported to be about 4 or 5 feet and the water temperature was about 75.
- 09/01/2018 – CLEVELAND, OH – John Doe, A body has been recovered from Lake Erie near Wildwood Park Marina in Cleveland. The body was found about 10 miles from the shore at about 1 p.m. and brought to the Wildwood Marina. The Cuyahoga County Medical Examiner’s Office has not released the man’s identity, and more details will be released as they become available.
- 09/02/2018 – TURTLE ISLAND, OHIO-MICHIGAN BORDER – Swimming – Joshua J. Snyder, The Coast Guard said that they believe a man may have jumped into the water to go swimming around 3:40 a.m. at Turtle Island, at the Ohio-Michigan border. Both Toledo and Detroit Coast Guard were on the scene along with Toledo Fire and Monroe County. Search suspended.
- 09/02/2018 – PRESQUE ISLE STATE PARK, Park, Horseshoe Pond – Fishing – Rzodkiewicz, M-59, of Erie. Two people on paddleboards found the body in the area of the inlet leading to the pond, about 5:30 Sunday afternoon. It is not known if he slipped, fell, and could not get out of the water, or whether he had a medical emergency. He was wearing fishing attire when found, and fishing supplies were nearby, along with his fishing license pinned to a baseball cap.
- 09/08/2018 – LONG POINT, ON – Jane Doe*, F-?, A woman’s body was discovered in Lake Erie Saturday morning at Long Point around 9 a.m.
- 09/08/2018 – ONTARIO, CA – Long Point – Jane Doe, F-45, Body recovered. Police are not releasing her name but after a post-mortem exam, they say no foul play is suspected.
- 10/20/2018 – CLEVELAND, OH – Stacy Paythress, M-47, body recovered near East 72nd, near the Intercity Yacht Club around 3 p.m. Saturday afternoon. Coast Guard officials said the body appears to have been in the water for a while.
- 10/22/2018 – EASTLAKE, OH – John Doe, M-?, a body was found floating in the Chagrin River near The Deck Lounge on Lake Shore Boulevard at 7:00 p.m. Sunday night. It is believed that the man was a member of Chagrin River Yacht Club. This is the second dead body that has been discovered in Lake Erie this weekend.
- 11/25/2018 – AVON LAKE, OH – Jane Doe, F-?, Condition Unknown vehicle drove into the water at the Miller Road Park boat ramp, 33760 Lake Road. The woman was floating face down near the west end of the pier. She was pulled from the water by the officer and paramedic and they performed CPR on her. She was transported to Cleveland Clinic in Avon where she was then transported to MetroHealth in Cleveland by helicopter.
- 12/02/2018 – Mark F. Pelgrin, 65, was last seen Dec. 2 in his Evans residence in the Bluffs subdivision. His body was recovered off Woodlawn Beach Monday, 12/31/2018 by members of the Erie County Sheriff’s Department Aviation Unit, which was searching the shoreline via helicopter.
LAKE ONTARIO = 25
- 03/25/2018 – Body found in Lake Ontario – Hamilton Police said the body washed up near the foot of Glover Road in the Stoney Creek area and was discovered on the beach at around 5:30 p.m. Sunday.
- 05/09/2018 – Ryan Zinke, M-32, Police are asking for the public’s help in tracing the last movements of Ryan Zinke.
- 05/25/2018 Dominic Kardasiewicz, M-33, disappeared after an evening out with friends at a bar near Bloor Street West and Lansdowne Avenue. Investigators say he left on foot and stopped for a slice of pizza on his way home before disappearing. Body recovered from the water Sunday, June 3.
- 05/10/2018 – Zabia Afzal, F-30, last seen north of Toronto on May 10. But they say investigators received information that she may have been around Ashbridges Bay on Toronto’s Lake Ontario waterfront later that morning. Officers say local authorities found the body in Lake Ontario on Friday, June 15, 2018.
- 06/10/2018 – Partheepan Subramanium, M-27, an IT professional from Sri Lanka who also performs as DJ Brownsoul went overboard near Bluffer’s Park in the city’s east end. Still missing.
- 07/09/2018 – John Doe*, M-?, Man rushed to hospital without vital signs after being pulled from Lake Ontario in east end in the area of Martin Goodman Trail and Silver Birch Avenue. [Identification and cause of death and under investigation]
- 07/14/2018 – Matthew Kevin Brown, M-45, Body of male found in Lake Ontario off Burlington Pier. A post-mortem examination showed drowning caused his death
- 07/15/2018 – Ray Emery, M-35, former NHL goaltender whose career spanned more than a decade and included Chicago and the 2013 Blackhawks Stanley Cup drowned in Hamilton Harbour on Sunday, police said. Emery jumped off of a boat into the water near the Leander Boat Club to go swimming, and his friends called emergency services at about 6 a.m. Sunday when he didn’t resurface.
- 07/17/2018 – MISSING – Christopher Pinto*, M-50, His vessel was found drifting on the water about three kilometres south of the Whitby shoreline with a broken mast and a woman on board in distress. Investigators believe the 26-foot sailboat was being operated by Christopher Pinto, 50.
- 07/21/2018 – John Doe, M-30s, A witness at the scene told CP24 lifeguards entered the water quickly but it appeared undertow pulled the victim away from them at Kew-Balmy beach in the east end on Saturday afternoon. The man may have been under the water for as long as five minutes. RESCUE AND RESUSCITATION VIDEO The first video shows the lead up, no one really knew what was going on. The second shows the man being found. Look how far the longshore current moved down the beach from the buoy to the break wall.
- 07/28/2018 – Stacy Fishbein, 21, of Vaughan, Ontario near Olcott. The sheriff’s office did not disclose any details about the possible circumstances surrounding Fishbein’s death. The discovery remains under investigation and York Regional Police in Canada is the lead agency.
- 08/02/2018, Geoffrey Ray,M-74, Vehicle in Lake Ontario; one person reportedly trapped – Emergency crews responded to reports of one person being trapped inside a vehicle that fell into Lake Ontario on Thursday night. Officials arrived at the scene, located in the area of Lake Shore Boulevard East and Parliament Street, at around 10 p.m.
- 08/10/2018 – TORONTO, ON, Woodbine Beach – Kyle Howard-Muthulingam, M-16, Friday, 2.30 p.m., Woodbine Beach. A teenager is dead and a woman remains in hospital after five people needed to be pulled from the water at Woodbine Beach. Friday was breezy, with waves visible. An eyewitness said people were in the water near rocks and in an area where swimming is prohibited. Four Toronto Police Marine Unit boats, Toronto Fire staff, a Canadian Coast Guard rescue boat, an RCAF helicopter and 10 to 15 lifeguards were involved in the marine rescue effort. At one point, rescuers made a chain to walk through the murky water, searching carefully near the shoreline. The search continued for more than 90 minutes until it could be confirmed that all the missing people were accounted for.
- 08/25/2018 – ORLEANS COUNTY, NY – John Doe, M-?, two men were fishing about nine miles offshore Saturday morning when their boat took on five to seven foot waves, causing the boat to sink. At the time, both were wearing life jackets, but the rough waters caused the two to become separated in the water. They were in the water for approximately two hours. One man was recovered, unresponsive, and later died.
- 08/31/2018 – WILSON, NY – Daniel Saik, M-66, Deputies were called to the area of 4909 E. Lake Road about 9:10 a.m. and recovered a body on the shoreline. He was reported missing 08/30/2018.
- 09/02/2018 – TORONTO, CA – Ivan Bruno Ujevic was last seen at Hanlan’s Point around 9:30 p.m. on Sunday at the Electric Island celebrations with some friends but fell ill and left early. Police say they received reports the 22-year-old either fell or jumped off the ferry shortly after departing the island. Ujevic says his brother fell into the water some 50 metres away from the shoreline. “It was night time, he could have been disoriented, injured – there’s so many different things that could have happened.” On 09/05/2018 his body was recovered.
- 09/04/2018 – ONTARIO, CA – COBOURG – Ada Didomizio, F-86, She had been last seen on Sept. 4 at her residence in the west end. Police issued a release on Friday night stating the family was concerned for her well-being. Her body was recovered Saturday morning around 11:30 a.m. along the shore of Lake Ontario at Monk Cove Park along Monk Street.
- 09/06/2018 – PICKERING, ON – Frenchman’s Bay – Kevin Wong, M-35, Police believe they have found body of missing fisherman Kevin Wong on 09/10/2018. Wong went missing on Sept. 6 while fishing for salmon around Frenchman’s Bay. That morning, Wong set out with another well-known GTA angler and guide, Shaun Rickard, to troll for salmon around Frenchman’s Bay. Conditions were calm, and as salmon species were preparing to journey into local rivers to spawn, the pair were not especially far out from shore, Wong’s good friend, Anthony Chen, told CBC Toronto on the weekend. Wong and Rickard were in separate boats, but were in communication throughout the morning. “At some point, Kevin stopped replying. And that’s when Shaun tried to look for him,” Chen said. Rickard and police eventually found Wong’s 17-foot aluminum fishing boat, unmanned with its trolling motor running, near the east bank of the mouth of Duffins Creek in Rotary Park in Ajax.
- 09/08/2018 – TORONTO, ON – John Doe, M-?, Body of swimmer pulled from Lake Ontario – A bystander said his friend witnessed the man go under near the R.C. Harris Water Treatment Plant, near Queen Street East and Victoria Park Avenue, around 12:30 p.m. and called 911. “(The man) comes down every day … and he swims every day regardless of the weather conditions,” Anson said. “He spends hours out there. “I think it was just too strong for him.” [ This might be the same incident? 09/08/2018 – TORONTO – John Doe, M-?, Police say they have uncovered a body from Lake Ontario after a passerby spotted it in the water at Balmy Beach Park and Nursewood Road at 12:56 p.m. on Saturday.]
- 09/10/2018 – MISSISSAUGA, ON – Jane Doe, F-65, Police say that on Monday, September 10, 2018 at approximately 10:37 a.m. a deceased female was found in Lake Ontario in the area of J.C Saddington Park located at 53 Lake Street in the Mississauga. On September 14, 2018 the deceased 65-year-old female was identified.
- 09/16/2018 – TORONTO, ON – SCUBA DIVING – Humber Bay Park Marina near Park Lawn Rd. and Lake Shore Blvd – John Doe, M-40s, Lake Ontario has become popular for scuba diving, particularly with beginners, and licensed divers can often be seen in the water on warm nights. Two people were scuba diving Sunday evening, one did not resurface. The diver who resurfaced said they believed the missing diver would not have had much air left.
- 10/11/2018 – YATES, NY – John Doe, M-80, he was reported missing Thursday afternoon. He was last seen working on a dock near his cottage in the town of Yates, N.Y., 64 kilometres northwest of Rochester, N.Y. The sheriff’s department says it appears that he drowned in rough water conditions at the time.
- 11/04/2018 – OAKVILLE – John Doe, M-27, died after car crashed into Lake Ontario in the area of Maple Grove Dr. and Lakeshore Blvd., E. Driver charged in passenger’s death.
- 11/25/2018 – TORONTO – Jane Doe, F-30 to 40’s, the body of a woman who was found deceased on the shore of Lake Ontario near the R. C. Harris Water Treatment Plant in the Victoria Park Avenue and Queen Street East area just before 7 a.m. on Sunday, Nov. 25. UPDATE 11/29/18: Toronto police the woman had been identified.
- 12/16/2018 –BURLINGTON – John Doe, ?-?, The body of a deceased person was found in Lake Ontario. The discovery was made near the left bridge in Hamilton Harbour, police report. The body has been removed and the investigation is ongoing. At this time, police believe the incident is not suspicious.
(Updated 12/31/2017, 2:25 p.m.)
88 Great Lakes Drownings in 2017
625 Great Lakes Drownings since 2010 (+/-)
GREAT LAKES, USA – The Great Lakes Surf Rescue Project (GLSRP) announces its current drowning statistics. In 2017, the GLSRP is tracking 88 Great Lakes drownings. Overall since 2010, the GLSRP has tracked 625 Great Lakes drownings. Full statistics here (74 drownings in 2010; 87 in 2011; 101 in 2012, 67 in 2013, 54 in 2014, 55 in 2015, 99 in 2016, and 88 to date in 2017). Note: * = (+/-) Awaiting 100% confirmation of drowning.
LAKE MICHIGAN = 40 plus 4 critical or unknown condition
- 01/01/2017 – John Doe, M-50, Man dies after being rescued from Lake Michigan early New Year’s Day – A 50-year-old man died while swimming in Lake Michigan New Year’s Day, fire officials who retrieved the man from the water said. The man, whose name hasn’t been released, was wearing some type of rubberized suit, a Chicago Fire spokesman said. (SCUBA suit)
- 01/30/2017 – Kevin Marko, M-52, last seen jogging along Lake Michigan on Jan. 30. His body was recovered on 03/13/2017 and identified on 03/16/2017.
- 02/13/2017 – Ryan Richard Walsworth, M-50, of Mears – his truck was found parked next to Lake Michigan in Mason County the next day, authorities feared Walsworth had ended up in the lake. (Possible suicide?)
- 02/25/2017 – John Doe, M-?, man’s body was pulled from the lake near the 1000 block of North Lake Shore Drive, Oak Street Beach
- 04/17/2017 – Bryan A. Davia, 24, recovered near the 3200 block of Lake Shore Drive in Belmont Harbor
- 04/19/2017 – John Doe, M-? Body pulled from Lake Michigan at Ohio Street Beach
- 04/28/2017 – John Doe, M-21 died after the kayak capsized in Lake Michigan near Wisconsin’s Door County midday Friday about 100 yards from shore near the town of Sevastopol, about 12 miles northeast of Sturgeon Bay. He was not wearing a life jacket. The water temperature was about 43 degrees.
- 04/28/2017 – John Doe, M-29 died after the kayak capsized in Lake Michigan near Wisconsin’s Door County midday Friday about 100 yards from shore near the town of Sevastopol, about 12 miles northeast of Sturgeon Bay. He was not wearing a life jacket. The water temperature was about 43 degrees.
- 05/10/2017 – Donald Walter Schiele, M-65, fell off boat while fishing Wednesday, 300 yards off shore south of the White Lake Channel.
- 05/16/2017 – Tianna Hollinside, F-13, Chicago, near Rogers Park 7600 N. Eastlake Terrace on Lake Michigan
- 05/16/2017 – Juan Cornelia, M-24, Was in cold water distress in Montrose Harbor near the 500 block of West Montrose
- 05/25/2017 – John Doe, M-?, Unidentified body recovered from Whihala Beach, Whiting, IN (XRock 103.9)
- 06/04/2017 – Jane Doe, 40’s, went missing Sunday night after going into Lake Michigan at Montrose Beach around 9:30 p.m.
- 06/10/2017 – Jane Doe, F-25, pulled from Lake Michigan near Loyola Beach on the North Side at 11:13 p.m. in the 1200 block of Touhy Avenue, according to Chicago Police.
- 06/10/2017 – Ghulam Yahya, M-27, Holland State Park, Waves were 1-2 feet at the time, the water temperature was around 60 degrees and the yellow “caution” flags were flying. Bystanders who pulled the man from the water were performing CPR. He was then taken to the hospital, where he died
- 06/10/2017 – James Coleman, M-34, Milwaukee man has died after being pulled from Lake Michigan on Saturday night; Shortly before sunset at Klode Park in Whitefish Bay. The water was unbearably cold.
- 06/12/2017 – John Doe, M-18, Canoe overturned in West Grand Traverse Bay across from 12068 South West Bay Shore Drive.
- 07/03/2017 – James Hammond, M-31, Died Trying to Rescue His Nephew in Water Near 63rd Street Beach
- 07/08/2017 – Johnathan Diaz, M- 22, the man jumped into the water near the Shedd Aquarium at approximately 3:40 p.m. on Saturday afternoon. The victim was under water for 15 minutes, and was later found unresponsive during a rescue by the Fire Department and lifeguards. The man was taken to Northwestern Hospital in serious-to-critical condition, and was pronounced dead.
- 07/18/2017 – Sareyi Ahmed, M-14, drowned at Atwater beach in Shorewood — the boy jumped off a break wall just north of the public beach area at the park in the 4000 block of N. Lake Drive.
- 07/20/2017 – Michael Kandel, M-28 – According to the U.S. Coast Guard report, the incident happened as the boat, a Boston Whaler, experienced a mechanical failure. One of the people on board went into the water to see if he could determine what the problem was and possibly fix it. A short time later, the person in the water began to experience problems and a second man, who took a child-sized life jacket with him, also went into the water in an attempt to assist the first man. As the two men were in the water, the boat drifted away and ultimately ended up near shore and the people remaining on the boat lost sight of the men in the water.
- 07/29/2017 – Christopher Charnow, M-28, of Royal Oak, Michigan, died while swimming near a beach on the city’s North Side. Authorities were called about 3:45 a.m. to Oak Street Beach near the 1000 block of North Lake Shore Drive. A woman was able to get out of the water on her own, but a 28-year-old man was lost in crashing waves.
- 07/29/2017 – Jeremy Kennedy, M-26, of Chicago fell from a boat on the South Side. He was getting off a boat early Saturday in the area of Jackson Park Beach near the 5900 block of South Lake Shore Drive when he fell in the water
- 07/30/2017 – Amari Donell Griffin-Brewer, M-16, RACINE — A 16-year-old Racine boy drowned late Sunday afternoon in Lake Michigan while swimming off of Zoo Beach. The teen had been swimming with friends near a sandbar when his girlfriend saw him go under and not resurface. “The kids were swimming out 50 to 60 feet to the sandbar where it was shallower — about waist-deep — and as they were returning to shore the young man went under. His girlfriend saw him go under and then resurface. And then she saw him go under again and he did not resurface.” “The water was flat and calm, so it wasn’t due the (surface motion of the water) or anything like that. Apparently he could swim,” Payne said. “He may have just taken on a gulp of water, and that’s how drownings occur.”
- 08/01/2017 – Matthew Ramirez, M-4 – At Rest 08/05/2017, Harbor County News – 4-year-old boy pulled from Lake Michigan at Warren Dunes State Park. The preliminary investigation revealed several children were playing in the water and family members believed he had exited the water and returned to the beach with other family members.
- 08/02/2017 – David O’Shaughnessy, M-? – CHICAGO – unreported SCUBA death off the shipwreck of the Wells Burt, part of a charter diver operation. Reported that CPR was given by Coast Guard and taken to Evanston from Wilmette Harbor. According to Cook County Medical Examiner’s office, the diver, David O’Shaughnessy, died of asphyxia. Listed as an accidental drowning. 08/03/2017 Report: The Coast Guard and Chicago Police Marine units responded to an incident off Wilmette last night in which a scuba diver died. The diver was with a commercial dive group on the boat the “Aquatica,” operated by Windy City Diving, according to the Coast Guard. They were exploring the largely-intact wreck of the 200-foot ship the Wells Burt that went down in a storm in 1883 about 3-miles off-shore in about 40-feet of water. The Coast Guard and CPD both report they responded to a call of a “diver in distress.” It was a night-time dive and the incident was reported to have occurred at about 8 p.m. The Coast Guard says an experienced diver, 45-year-old male, was coming out of the water on a ladder and was having a tough time and then dropped back into the lake. A mayday was called and divers on the boat were able to locate the man and get him on-board. The Coast Guard dropped two rescue divers onto the boat and they assisted with CPR and a defibrillator. CPD took over and brought the man to shore in Evanston, along with Coast Guard personnel assisting on the way. The diver, whose identity has not yet been released, was taken to Northshore Evanston Hospital where he was pronounced dead.
- 08/05/2017 – Kaitlynn Boswinkle, 24, at Marquette Park, Gary, IN – around 7:30 a.m. The three friends exited the water for a short time before Boswinkle returned to the water and swam to a buoy about 200 feet from shore. The two friends then lost sight of Boswinkle and began to look for her. After struggling to fight 5 foot waves and a strong current, they left the water and called 911. In a Facebook post, Gary police said the beach was closed at the time, and no lifeguards were on duty. High wave warnings have now been issued for all Gary beaches. No swimming is allowed.
- 05/07/2017 – John Doe, M-18, at North Pier in Kenosha. The victim was swimming with a friend at the time and was trying to reach the break wall when harbor currents proved too much for him.
- 08/13/2017 – Jane Doe, F-?, Woman pulled from Lake Michigan at McKinley Marina, taken to hospital – unresponsive.
- 08/19/2017 – Joseph D. Quagliano, M-20, Quagliano was reported missing Saturday night. He was believed to have been kayaking from Nicolet Bay to Horseshoe Island and expected to return at 4 pm. His vehicle was located at a nearby boat ramp with his cellphone and a life jacket inside. A total of three helicopters aided in the search using infrared cameras overnight to search for a heat signature.
- 08/28/2017 – Christopher J. Melik, M-48, The investigation is ongoing but authorities do not believe that Melik’s death is suspicious in nature at this time.
- 08/30/2017 – JC Lindsey , M-18, A swimmer who struggled and went underwater in Lake Michigan off Adeline Jay Geo-Karis Illinois Beach State Park in Winthrop Harbor was pronounced dead at a local hospital Wednesday afternoon, according to the Lake County coroner’s office. The park’s superintendent, Saki Villalobos, said the waters were calm. There are no lifeguards at the state park.
- 08/31/2017 – John Doe, M-55, Just before 12:45 a.m. Thursday, a man and a woman went into Lake Michigan to swim in an area just south of the Ardmore Hollywood Beach. The woman got out of the water, but she noticed the man was struggling in the water. About 2:15 a.m., divers called off the search for the man because of the water conditions, 3-6 foot waves, according to the Chicago Fire Department. The man had not been found as of early Thursday.
- 09/01/2017 – John Doe, M-?, Man’s Body Pulled From Lake At 31st Street Beach, Chicago.
- 09/13/2017* – Paul Hamilton of Englewood, M-?, Body recovered in Diversy Harbor near North Lake Shore Drive and Diversey Parkway
- 09/17/2017 – Nathan Jon Marcus, M-23, of Holland, Udentified as victim of an apparent drowning Sunday, Sept. 17, in Lake Michigan near Tunnel Park. Marcus was riding a personal watercraft around 150 yards from shore, headed south toward the piers at Holland State Park, when he leaned over and fell into the water. A witness reported that the victim, wearing a floatation device, was not moving. A sheriff’s Marine Unit deputy saw the victim face down. The deputy got into the water, turned Marcus over, and swam him to shore to first responders.
- 09/24/2017 – Alex Lopez, M-21, of Plainfield, Illinois drowned while kayaking Sunday. Lopez was kayaking with two friends approximately 150 yards offshore from Porter Beach in the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore when their kayaks capsized shortly after 5 p.m. Sunday. Lopez was not wearing a life vest. He went under the surface of the water and did not return. His two friends were wearing life jackets and were able to stay afloat and summon help.
- 09/24/2017 – Robert Amenitsch, M-66, of Niles, Illinois was being towed on a floating raft at a very low speed behind a boat operated by his son died in apparent drowning. While being pulled slowly, Amenitsch rolled on his back and into the water near the shoreline. Michael, the boat operator, immediately turned the vessel around and found his father unresponsive.
- 09/24/2017 – Raymundo Zambrano, M-49, of West Chicago, Illinois died after being found in Lake Michigan on Chicago’s North Side near Montrose Beach near the 4400 block of North Lake Shore Drive. An autopsy Monday showed he drowned, and ruled his death an accident.
- 10/10/2017 – Daniel Mehedinti, M-82, recovered near Montrose Beach. Waves and dangerous currents present.
Lake Michigan Critical or Unknown Condition = 4
- 07/04/2017 – Child pulled from water near 800 block of Pershing Park Drive, Racine, WI. Child reportedly fell off the rocks and was under water. Child transferred to Children’s Hospital. No further information.
- 07/06/2017 – Man Reported submerging at Lake Street Beach, Gary, IN – Gary police were notified about 8:30 p.m. Wednesday of a male swimmer at Lake Street Beach who was past the buoys and struggling. A Gary police officer on beach patrol reported he had lost sight of the swimmer
- 07/07/2017 – Rescuers end search for possible drowning victim in South Haven
- 10/04/2017 – John Doe*, M-24, he was taken from the lake about 10 minutes later, critical condition, near the Adler Planetarium, the 900 block of East Solidarity Drive. The man was taken to Mercy Hospital and Medical Center in critical condition, according to police.
LAKE SUPERIOR = 9
- 08/02/2017 – Dennis D Kamento, M-73, was swimming at the beach off of Whitefish Point Rd at Laughing White Fish Point when he was pulled in by an undertow. The Alger County Sheriff’s Office would like to warn all beach goers to use extreme caution when swimming in Lake Superior when the wind and wave conditions are strong.
- 08/10/2017 – John Doe, M-38, Father, Daughter Drown in Lake Superior in Duluth – a girl reported that her father, 38, and young sister, 10, had disappeared while swimming in the lake near the Park Point Beach House. High waves and dangerous currents a factor. Authorities say they were from Wisconsin.
- 08/10/2017 – Jane Doe, F-10, Father, Daughter Drown in Lake Superior in Duluth – a girl reported that her father, 38, and young sister, 10, had disappeared while swimming in the lake near the Park Point Beach House. High waves and dangerous currents a factor. Authorities say they were from Wisconsin.
- 08/13/2017 – Robert Louis, M-59, Body recovered near the site of the boat accident near Au Train Island a short distance off shore between Marquette and Munising. A large wave swamped a pontoon boat Sunday evening, sending all seven occupants overboard. Six of the occupants were rescued
- 08/30/2017 – Stanley Szczytko, M-68, was trying to untangle a line to the jib sail of the 42-foot boat Wednesday afternoon near Washburn. When the line was freed he was pulled overboard and wasn’t wearing a life jacket.
- 09/24/2017 – Aaron Timmerman*, M-42, of New Hope, Minnesota, was diving Saturday afternoon just north of Split Rock Lighthouse up the North Shore at the popular sight of the Madeira shipwreck. According to the sheriff’s office, witnesses had seen Timmerman surface and call for help, but no one was able to reach him before he went underwater. Two members of the group located him unresponsive on the bottom of the lake. The cause of death remains under investigation.
- 10/24/2017 – Robert Anderson, M-53, swept into the Lake by large waves near black rocks at Presque Ilse Park in Marquette. Body recovered 11/22/2017.
- 10/24/2017 – Sarah Hall, F-37, swept into the Lake by large waves near black rocks at Presque Ilse Park in Marquette.
- 11/26/2017 – Derek S. Hansen*, M-45, of Minnetonka, was found near Split Rock Lighthouse early Saturday. He apparently drowned but added that further details about his death remain under investigation and autopsy results were pending.
LAKE HURON = 7
- 05/31/2017 – Todd Walker, M-37 – On May 31, 2017 at 2:27 p.m., the South Bruce OPP received a missing person report on 37-year-old Walker of Kincardine who was last seen on Campbell Avenue in Kincardine at 11:45 p.m. on May 30, 2017.
- 06/11/2017 – Curt Richard Vandevorde, M-61, of Grosse Pointe Farms, on Sunday jumped from the raft he was floating on into Lake Huron. The apparent drowning occurred in the waters off the 3900 block of North US-23 in AuSable Township
- 07/08/2017 – John Doe, M-20’s from Collingwood, Wasaga Beach, wave swells exceeding 2 metres, victim was in an inflatable boat near the mouth of the Nottawasaga River, not wearing lifejackets, when it overturned amid rough water conditions. They were renting a cottage in the area.
- 07/08/2017 – John Doe, M-20’s from Caledon, Wasaga Beach, wave swells exceeding 2 metres, victim was in an inflatable boat near the mouth of the Nottawasaga River, not wearing lifejackets, when it overturned amid rough water conditions. They were renting a cottage in the area.
- 07/08/2017 – Dennis Bowman M-39, paddleboarding without a life-jacket when he fell into the water at Sauble Beach on the Saugeen First Nation, Owen Sound, Ont.
- 07/15/2017 – Curtis Herbon, M-22, was found about an eighth of a mile offshore, south of Lighthouse County Park. He apparently attempted to swap kayaks with his friend , causing them to both fall in the lake. His friend was able to swim to shore. Neither were wearing life jackets.
- 09/20/2017 – Yvonne Martin*, F-64, The body of a missing Kincardine woman was found in Lake Huron along the Kincardine shoreline Saturday 09/23/2017. Martin had been missing since late Wednesday night when she went to run some errands about 9:40 p.m. and failed to return to her Baird Street home. Police received a missing person report later that night.
LAKE ERIE = 16
- 03/01/2017 – John Peters Jr. (Awaiting 100% ID), M-91, of Trumbull County, Ohio, whom authorities suspect might have fallen into Presque Isle Bay after his Dodge Caravan was found on East Dobbins Landing in Erie shortly before 2:30 a.m. on March 1. Last seen Feb 28. Body Recovered 03/31/2017
- 04/01/2017 – Jane Doe, F-?, body was recovered near West Sister Island, which is about 40 miles east of Toledo.
- 04/08/2017 – Jill Trowbridge, F-52, was driving south on Summit Street in Erie Township when her car ran off the road for unknown reasons, then re-entered the road and ran off the road crashing into North Maumee Bay.
- 05/14/2017 – Tod Nierodzik, M-57, may have drowned near the Lakeside Yacht Club on North Marginal Road
- 05/27/2017 – John Doe, M-?, East Lake, OH. Boating accident behind Village Hall. The 17’ boat may have hit a breakwall. No lifejackets
- 05/28/2017 – Juan Carlos Alfaro, M-25, canoe capsized while fishing on Lake Erie east of County Road 45 in Kingsville. Friends on shore saw his canoe capsize. He was “believed to a non-swimmer” and he wasn’t wearing a life jacket.
- 06/14/2017 – John Doe, M-50, vacationing at a resort near Port Colborne, Ont. was 180 metres from shore at the Sherkston Shores Beach Resort. Fell from an inflatable raft or “lounger”. He was out alone and police believe he went out too far and lost control. Early reports suggest the man went out alone in the small craft, but was spotted in distress later. He was last seen by witnesses trying to swim towards shore before they lost sight of him. The lounger was found several hundred meters from where the man was last seen.
- 07/04/2017 – Christopher Recznik, M-20, At around 8:30 p.m., authorities confirmed they found the body of the missing 20-year-old man near a break wall in Century Park in Lorain County Lake Erie. He was overcome by waves, which were 2 to 3 feet. Dangerous Currents. No Lifeguards.
- 07/23/2017 – Jyventa Harris,M-21, Two men were on an inflatable watercraft on the lake when they began to struggle at the Beachdale Association, a private beach club at the end of Beachdale Drive, off of Lake Road near the Veterans’ Memorial Park. Authorities believe the men entered the water at Veterans Park, which is right next door. Neither of the men were wearing life vests. One man made it to shore. One drowned.
- 08/08/2017 – Tyson Koehn, M-41, of Kingsville was operating a small vessel with four children onboard. One of the children was struggling while swimming, so Koehn got in the water to help. That’s when Koehn began struggling to swim himself and went under the water. The four children were rescued by a passing vessel and a person onshore who swam out to help, the OPP say.
- 08/29/2017 – Larry Love*, M-56, died about 5 a.m. Tuesday, some 20 hours after his boat capsized, U.S. Coast Guard Commander Tad Drozdowski said. Cause of death not yet determined.
- 09/04/2017 – John Doe, M-?, Coast Guard suspends search for missing swimmer in Lake Erie near Cleveland. He was swimming in the water near a boat when he was hit by a large wave and didn’t resurface. Authorities said he wasn’t wearing a life jacket.
- 09/11/2017 – Peter John Jessop*, M-53, Results from an autopsy conducted in Hamilton Tuesday reveal Jessop’s death wasn’t suspicious. No foul play is suspected, police said. Police are asking the public to help find a missing orange kayak.
- 09/12/2017 John Doe*, M-?, man’s body was recovered from Lake Erie near Long Point Monday afternoon. Police say a boater came across the body while out on Lake Erie, near Pottahawk Point northwest of Long Point National Wildlife area.
- 10/31/2017 – Salvatore Tassone, M-56, went missing while fishing at the Port Maitland pier. It is believed he had fallen into the lake. Witnesses reported the weather was windy and the water choppy.
- 12/08/2017 – Christine A. Spohn*, F-39, Her body was found along the Lake Erie shoreline near Lake Erie Community Park in Girard Township. Police said there were no signs of foul play and nothing suspicious about the death. A ruling on the cause of death is pending further investigation by the coroner’s office, authorities said.
LAKE ONTARIO = 16
- 01/10/2017 – Cameron Bailie*, M-?, Missing 01/10/2017. Body recovered 06/17/2017 from Lake Ontario near the Oshawa shoreline 300 to 400 feet from shore.
- 02/18/2017 – John Doe, M-?, Toronto Police is investigating after a body was pulled from Lake Ontario Saturday near Algonquin Island.
- 03/24/2017 – John Doe, M-38, Emergency crews were called to the waterfront near Lower Jarvis Street and Queens Quay East at 11:18 a.m. March 24 for a report of a body in the water. Initial Report.
- 04/21/2017 – David Ramphalie, M-38, boating.
- 05/15/2017 – John Doe, M-30’s, Sugar Beach near Dockside Drive and Lower Jarvis Street
- 06/01/2017 – John Doe, M-?, boat capsized on Lake Ontario between Amherst Island and Grape Island in Loyalist Township. Police say there were two men onboard the vessel, but only one made it back to shore. They say the body of the other man was found Sunday 06/02/2017 near Amherst Island.
- 06/13/2017 – John Doe*, M-?, body recovered roughly a mile off of Youngstown.
- 06/25/2017 – Lorenz Greenwood Coinco, M-18, cliff diving and/or pulled into the water by a larger wave, 4-5’, on Sunday at Robert Wehle State Park.
- 06/25/2017 – Andrew Stevenson, M-14, cliff diving and/or pulled into the water by a larger wave, 4-5’, on Sunday at Robert Wehle State Park.
- 07/03/2017 – John Doe*, M-51, was on a Sea-Doo jet boat with two children and another man just after 4 p.m. on Sunday. He fell into the water when the jet boat made a short turn in choppy water near the Burlington Lift Bridge.
- 07/08/2017 – John Doe, M-?, Toronto – Body recovered from Ashbridges Bay – Crews were called around 7a.m., Saturday morning to the area of Coxwell Avenue and Lakeshore Boulevard East at Ashbridges Bay. The body appeared to have been in the water for a while.
- 07/09/2017 – Yvonne Kraus, F-64, a family was out kayaking and swimming. When some children had trouble in the water, adults went in after them and Kraus did not return. She was caught by the currents while swimming in a pond that spills into the lake.
- 08/10/2017 – Jane Doe*, F-55 to 70, recovered from the water in the area of Humber Bay Shores Park, Toronto.
- 08/11/2017 – John Doe*, M-?, a man’s body was pulled from the water near the Argonaut Rowing Club on Friday morning in the Martin Goodman Trail and Oarsman Dr. area.
- 09/04/2017 – Jacob McCormick, M-21 – 2 missing kayakers make it back alive, 1 found dead. After a kayak capsized, he held onto another kayak while Jacob paddled away for help. The 2 made it back to shore. Jacob was found deceased.
- 09/23/2017 – Mark Deiter, M-56, submerged when the boat he was fishing in began to take on water while fishing at Sunset Bay Park in the Town of Scriba. Two passengers jumped from the boat, but 56 year-old Mark Deiter was still on it when it went completely underwater. The two passengers that jumped off the boat used floatation devices and a cooler to float. The body, whom authorities believe to be Deiter, was found still in the boat in about 100 feet of water.
Lake Ontario Critical or Unknown Condition
- 04/02/2017– Jane Doe, F-60, Woman in critical condition after being pulled from Lake Ontario in Scarborough
99 Great Lakes Drownings to date;
Plus 6 last listed in Critical Condition
(Last updated 04/28/2017)
LAKE MICHIGAN = 46 Plus 6 listed in Critical Condition
- 02/19/2016 – Thalia Rodriguez, F-20, Fell or blown off Wihala Beach Pier, Whiting, IN
- 02/24/2016* – Jessica Suarez*, F-21, was reported missing after she left her home about 6 a.m. on Feb. 24 in the 6100 block of North Talman, Chicago to go jogging and never returned, according to police. Her car was later found unoccupied and parked at 5100 N. Simmons Dr. on the lakefront. Her body was recovered in Lake Michigan 04/24/2016.
- 02/25/2016 – Ivan Echevarria, M-18, washed off pier at Diversey Harbor, Chicago, IL (Recovered 04/04/2016)
- 03/17/2016 – Marcus Beilman, M-27, kayaking in Lake Michigan off the shore of Port Washington
- 03/17/2016 – John Doe*, M-?, he was found wearing a life jacket and clinging to rocks in Lake Michigan near Rainbow Beach on Chicago’s South Side
- 04/22/2016 – Ambrose Monye*, M-28, was found in the water near the 5400 block of South Lake Shore Drive on May 8. He was last seen April 22 in the area of 55th Street and Lake Park Avenue.
- 05/05/2016 – John Doe*, M-35, Body of 35 year old Asian male recovered near Montrose Harbor.
- 06/10/2015 – John Doe*, M-?, Chicago, A man’s body was pulled from Lake Michigan early Friday morning near Montrose Harbor
- 06/11/2016 – Travonne Shannon, M-17, St. Joseph, MI, Silver Beach Pier Jump.
- 06/13/2016 – Tomasz I. Dratwa*, M-28, body pulled a few blocks south of Oak Street Beach around 11:00 a.m.
- 06/17/2016 – Ryan Klingensmith, M-23, According to video at the hyperlink, he was playing Beer Pong on the boat. The ping pong ball went into the water. He dove in after it and did not resurface.
- 06/17/2017 – John Doe*, CHICAGO – A body was pulled out of Lake Michigan near the Gold Coast on Friday morning near the 1800 block of North Lake Shore Drive
- 06/19/2016 – Riley Hoeksema, M-16, boating accident, Holland, MI. The Zodiac-style inflatable hull boat made a sudden turn, causing the two occupants of the boat to be thrown from the boat into the water
- 06/19/2016 – John Doe*, A body was pulled from Lake Michigan Sunday afternoon near Loyola Beach in the North Side Rogers Park neighborhood just after 3 p.m. near the 1000 block of West Pratt
- 06/20/2016 – John Doe*, Body Recovered – A “badly decomposed” body of a man was pulled from Lake Michigan near North Pier, Kenosha, WI, Monday afternoon. The name, age and race of the man remained unknown Monday night.
- 06/26/2016 – Andrew John Vache, M-33, kayaking on Lake Michigan, near the Portage Lake harbor, when his kayak turned over. Vache was not wearing a personal flotation device and the waves in Lake Michigan were approximately two feet high during the time of the incident.
- 06/24/016 – John Doe, M-Teen, Authorities believe the teen went missing in the water after trying to swim across the Waukegan channel with friends
- 07/09/2016 – Sheldon Benson, M-23, of Coopersville was kayaking in Grand Haven
- 07/09/2016 – Kyle Reibly, M-26, Well Street Beach, Gary, IN, would-be rescuer
- 07/09/2016 – David Alden II, M-37, Well Street Beach, Gary, IN, would-be rescuer
- 07/12/2016 – Markius Woods,, M-32, distressed swimmer, dies near the 31st Street Beach, Chicago, IL
- 07/12/2016 – David VanVertloo, 66, Illinois man drown at Michigan City’s Washington Park
- 07/24/2016 – John Doe, M-?, An adult male was seen jumping into the lake about 7 a.m. at Diversey Harbor, police said. People nearby saw the man jump and pulled him from the water.
- 08/04/2016 – Kevin Thomas Ketchum, M-53, of Shelby Township, passed away August, 17, 2016. He had rescued two boys from drowning in Lake Michigan – Two young boys having difficulty in the high waves. He went into the water to try and help his children. He was transported to Schoolcraft Memorial Hospital and then air lifted to U.P. Health System Marquette in critical condition. The family was vacationing in the area at the time of the incident.
- 08/07/2016 – Carlos Juan Penaco, M-26, Swimmer dies after being pulled from Montrose Harbor. He was struggling in the water.
- 08/08/2016 – Mensha Travis, M-14, drowned while swimming. Indiana’s DNR says two boys had to be pulled from Lake Michigan Monday night. The DNR says the boys were unsupervised at the pier at Washington Park around 6:11 p.m.
- 08/11/2016 – Jamirion Gomez, 13, from Lansing, MI was swimming with three cousins in the water when suddenly he disappeared. Fighting for his life after drowning. Passed away 08/20/2016
- 08/13/2016 – John Kevin Trout Lank, M-29, was swimming Saturday at Indiana Dunes State Park with a group of people just before 8 p.m. He was hit by a wave, fell down and never got back up again. A wave brought him back to shore.The cause of death was drowning and alcohol was involved
- 08/14/2016 – Brian Waslusky, M-53, Fishing – jumped into Lake Michigan chasing a large fish and net near the Little Sable Point Lighthouse.
- 08/14/2016 – Steve Bruce, M-62, Missing – Fishing – jumped into Lake Michigan chasing a large fish and net near the Little Sable Point Lighthouse. Body recovered 08/17/2016
- 08/16/2016 – Alexander Fortis, M- 27, Man dies after being pulled from Lake Michigan near Diversey Harbor – The man was with a group of people, jumped into the water but did not emerge about 3:30 p.m. in the 2700 block of North Lake Shore Drive
- 08/21/2016 – Kenneth Phillips, M-60, Grand Haven-area man drowns in Lake Michigan near the north pier of Pigeon Lake. The man and his brother were body surfing the waves near a sandbar when one of the two began to struggle, police say. The man’s brother tried to swim the two back to shore, but a rip current made it hard to swim back.
- 08/29/2016 – Ricardo Salvana, M-24, CHICAGO – Man dies after being pulled from Lake Michigan on North Side – 300 block of East Montrose Harbor Drive, in the water about 100 yards from the lighthouse off Montrose Beach
- 08/31/2016 – Vincent Green, M-14, Swimming at Holland State Park, Holland, MI. Waves and dangerous currents.
- 08/31/2016 – Chris Mimis, 17, M-17, Swimming at Holland State Park, Holland, MI. Waves and dangerous currents. Mimis’ family traveled to the area from Chicago
- 09/03/2016 – Tom Petruszak, M-?, missing boater off Little Bay De Noc near Gladstone, a large wave struck their boat and caused one of the men to fall into the water. Another man jumped in, attempting to rescue the person in the water. A passerby, James Plouff, rescued one of the men. However, the other person was not located, and has still not been found. None of the men were wearing lifejackets.
- 09/05/2016 – Tyler Spink, M-21, Last seen Monday around 8:50 p.m. in Platte Bay by two fisherman who heard screams and found two capsized kayaks. Fishermen were able to pull one of the kayakers to their boat. We are told both kayaks have been recovered by the U.S. Coast Guard. RECOVERED – On 07/19/2018 Tyler Spink was recovered from Lake Michigan by Volunteers with Bruce’s Legacy.
- 09/11/2016 – Francis Knipp, M-75, believed drowned off Manitowoc’s Red Arrow beach when his ten foot sailboat capsized about 500 yards-from shore on Sunday. The identity of man on board has not been released. (Recovered 09/27/2016)
- 09/12/2016 – Timothy Twa, M-67, The body of a man was found on the beach at Muskegon’s Kruse Park Tuesday morning, and public safety officials said it is believed he entered the water in Norton Shores.
- 09/16/2016 – Gregory Froede, M-39, law enforcement agencies are investigating a report of a man who fell or jumped overboard from a boat in Lake Michigan north of Beaver Island. Many details of the situation remain unclear – officials contacted the Coast Guard at about 9:30 p.m. Friday regarding a report of a 40-year-old man who had jumped overboard from a recreational boat about 2-3 nautical miles north of Hog Island in the Beaver Island and had not returned to the boat. The man had said he wanted to go swimming just before jumping overboard and that he was not wearing a personal floatation device. (Body Recovered 10/10/2016)
- 09/19/2016 – Hannah Harris, F-10, from Lansing — Girl falls from paddle board, drowns in Lake Michigan at Charles Mears State Park and Pentwater Pier Monday, around 3:30 p.m. She was not wearing a life jacket, the sheriff’s office said.
- 09/25/2016 – Jonah Berele, M-27, CHICAGO (WLS) — A man died Sunday after being rescued from Lake Michigan near Leone Beach Park on Chicago’s far North Side at 2:15 p.m. A kayaker pulled the victim out of the water and performed CPR before emergency personnel were on the scene.
- 10/05/2016 – John Doe, M-59, Dies After Crashing SUV Into Jackson Park Harbor — CHICAGO (CBS) — A 59-year-old man died Wednesday morning after driving his SUV into Jackson Park Harbor.
- 10/17/2016 – John Doe, M-?, A person died after being pulled out of Lake Michigan on Saturday afternoon on the North Side about 100 yards from Montrose Harbor at 601 W. Montrose Ave.
- 10/19/2016 – John Doe, M-25, A man died Wednesday morning after being pulled from the water of Jackson Park Harbor off the 6500 block of South Promontory Drive around 4:45 a.m.
- 11/07/2016 – Robert Umentum III, M-43, There was a report of someone yelling for help along the shoreline just after 3 a.m. Monday. He was recovered from Lake Michigan off Kewaunee. The man was apparently fishing and fell into the water, police say. Fishing tackle and personal belongings were seen in the water.
LAKE MICHIGAN 6 Last Listed in CRITICAL CONDITION
- 07/10/2016 – John Doe, M-15, Critical Condition – A 15-year-old Michigan City boy is in critical condition after drowning in Lake Michigan near the pier, about 200 feet off the shores of Washington Park Beach. The Coast Guard says waves were about 1 to 2 feet high when he went under. (As of 08/10/2016 Remains on life support)
- 07/11/2016 – Lonely Vang, M-14, Critical Condition, pulled from Lake Michigan by Sheboygan police at General King Park, under water for 10 minutes, remains a patient at the Children’s Hospital in Milwaukee
- 08/06/2016 – John Doe, M-Teen, Critical Condition – Four children rescued from Lake Michigan – 1 of them airlifted to South Bend in Critical Condition – they were part of a a church group from Chicago visiting Washington Park. Several people, including a teen girl from Mokena, Illinois, ran into the water to try and rescue them. One of the boys pulled her underwater. (As of 08/10/2016 Remains on life support)
- 08/21/2016 – John Doe, M-60, Bystanders pull man from Lake Michigan after the man had trouble in the water Sunday. The incident happened about 11:40 a.m. in the 3500 block of North Lake Shore Drive near Belmont Harbor. He’s listed in serious to critical condition.
- 09/24/2016 – Jane Doe, F-67, who fell into Lake Michigan while walking on a pier near the boat ramp at 1701 Sheridan Rd., was rescued and taken to a hospital in critical condition Saturday in Evanston.
- 10/15/2016 – John Doe, M-?, Person who was pulled from Lake Michigan about 100 feet from shore near Montrose Avenue in Chicago on Saturday afternoon was in critical condition
LAKE SUPERIOR = 9
- 04/11/2016 Richard C. Blanford*, M-?, of Potterville, Michigan. On April 11th, 2016, rangers at Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore found a vehicle abandoned in the Miners Castle overlook parking lot.
- 06/11/2016 – Kaylilyn Tansey, F-22, Drowned struggling in the water at Little Presque Isle
- 06/11/2016 – Justin Schroepfer, M-24, Drowned struggling in the water at Little Presque Isle
- 08/04/2016 – Dewayne Shreve, M-25, A small boat capsized in Havilland Bay at the east end of Lake Superior last Thursday – set out in a 12-foot aluminum boat powered by a six-horsepower engine at 4 p.m., but the pair ran into trouble about 250 feet from shore. The boat contained life jackets, but neither man was wearing one when they began to swim to shore. A 23-year-old man managed to make it safely to shore around 5:15 p.m., but Shreve had disappeared from sight in the water.
- 08/10/2016 – Wasaysee Mayotte, M-15, playing in the waves off of Stockton Island at Julian Bay on Wednesday afternoon when currents pulled him into deep water.
- 09/17/2016 Keith Karvonen, M-61 of Atlantic Mine, reported missing Saturday when they didn’t return from an afternoon of Lake Trout fishing. Authorities say the trio set out on a 16-foot boat from Portage Entry in the Chassell area. (Recovered 10/02/2016)
- 09/17/2016 – Steven Chartre, M-43 of Ishpeming, reported missing Saturday when they didn’t return from an afternoon of Lake Trout fishing. Authorities say the trio set out on a 16-foot boat from Portage Entry in the Chassell area. (Recovered 10/02/2016)
- 09/17/2016 – Ethan Chartre, M-9 of Ishpeming, reported missing Saturday when they didn’t return from an afternoon of Lake Trout fishing. Authorities say the trio set out on a 16-foot boat from Portage Entry in the Chassell area. (Recovered 10/02/2016)
- 10/22/2016 – Allyson Marie Motylinski-Jenkins, F-42, was found around 11:15 a.m. near the Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum in Chippewa County.
LAKE HURON = 12
- 01/02/2016 – John Doe, M-?, pick-up truck drove off Kincardine Harbour’s north pier. Pier may have been icy.
- 05/04/2016* – Peter James “Jim” Armstrong, 53, went missing from his mother’s Southampton home the evening of March 9. Recovered at Lake Huron shoreline at MacGregor Point Provincial Park.
- 07/03/2016 – Christopher Peterson, M-42, an Ann Arbor area man drowned Sunday afternoon while kayaking off Huron County’s Point Aux Barques – Other boaters in the area rescued the victim’s wife and two children.
- 07/03/2016 – Yousif Shamon, M-67, a Sterling Heights man died after swimming in Lake Huron in Port Huron Monday
- 07/23/2016 – Richard Castillo, M-67, Went missing while diving near a shipwreck.
- 07/23/2016 – Bradley Liani, M-28, was pronounced dead after bystanders got him out of the water around 1 p.m. Saturday at a Saugeen First Nation beach, just north of Southampton. “I don’t understand, he did know how to swim,” Cathy said Monday, adding that Bradley took swimming lessons as a child and loved going to the beach with his friends.
- 08/03/2016 – Erik Foreman, M-47, died while diving at a shipwreck in Lake Huron. His death is the second diving death in Lake Huron in the last two weeks. The body of a Detroit man was recovered from the lake after he failed to surface during a shipwreck-diving trip in late July.
- 08/18/2016 – John Doe, M- , Man Pulled From Lake in Grand Bend Pronounced Dead
- 08/28/2016 – John Doe, M-Teen, drowned in Lake Huron south of Port Elgin – Saugeen Shores police say three boys were swimming in Gobles Grove, south of Port Elgin, around 6:30 p.m. Sunday when they were pulled into deeper water. A 50-year-old Toronto man came to their aid when he realized they were in water over their heads and they were in distress. He was able to pull one boy to shore while another was able to make his way in by himself. The third boy disappeared under the waves.
- 09/19/2016 David Counsell, M-60, of Saugeen Shores, last seen kayaking between Chantry Island and the Saugeen Shores beach; recovered 09/22/2016.
- 10/15/2016 – John Doe, M-?, Body discovered near Port Albert between Maple-Cedar Grove Road and Mid Huron Beach Road. The deceased person was reported to be wearing a life jacket.
- 10/15/2016 – Mitchell Nelson, M-57, found at Port Albert’s beach
LAKE ERIE = 19
- 03/07/2016 – Brenton Burton, M-35, went missing while boating to Turtle Island, OH.
- 04/15/2016* – Lawrence Thomas, M-55, reported missing late January. The Body was found at Edgewater Park outside of Cleveland
- 05/23/2016 – Mark A. Stoke, M-37, was on the fishing platform at East 72nd Street marina when he fell
- 06/12/2016 – Jakub Hess, M-16, drowned while swimming in waves at Conneaut Lake Park Beach
- 06/24/2016 – Kevin Sullivan*, M-teen, dies after Jet Ski crash- two Jet Skis collided near shore, close to the Edison Bridge on Wednesday at about 2:30 p.m.
- 07/12/2016 – Adam Hinton, M-21, Man drowns near Lake Erie boat launch – disappearing in the waters along a beach break wall – Bystanders told authorities that the man had been with some other people and had waded into water near a break wall.
- 07/14/2016 – William Johnston, M-18 – Recovery mission continues after drowning at Port Stanley — An 18-year-old London male, William Johnston, was swimming in Lake Erie with a 19-year-old female late Thursday afternoon at the main beach. The woman made it to shore safely with help from lifeguards, but Johnston failed to make it to the beach.
- 07/22/2016 – Patrick L. Keith, M-62, Crystal Beach Lakefront Water Park, Ontario Canada, Rip Current drowning
- 07/26/2016 – Giusseppe Reinhart, M-37, After two days of searching, covering nearly 5,400 square nautical miles, the coast guard has ended its search for a missing Ontario man whose boat washed ashore in Hamburg Tuesday afternoon. Officials found paperwork in the boat which allowed them to contact the boater’s fiancée, who said the boat’s owner, a man from Niagara Falls, Ontario, had planned on going fishing.
- 07/30/2016 – Omar Rosa-Marquez, M-24, Man pulled from Lake Erie west of Cleveland pronounced dead – AVON LAKE, OH (WOIO) – A man pulled from Lake Erie near Miller Road Park in Avon Lake died Saturday.
- 08/02/2016 – Laura Del-Bel F-56, of Farmington Hills, MI – Body of missing swimmer found near Colchester Harbour
- 08/11/2016 – Tracy Quinlan, F-45, of Niagara, Ont., went underwater while swimming with a friend and never resurfaced. Bystanders found Quinlan, brought to shore and gave CPR.
- 08/13/2016 – Hussein Da Silva, M-19, Man drowns in Lake Erie while swimming with friends at Eric Boulevard in Long Point Provincial Park.
- 08/15/2016 – William Ouimette, M-71, pulled out of the water at the Happy Snapper Marina.
- 08/16/2016 – Dylan Lathrop, M-20, Missing, kayaking on when waves capsized kayaks, off Sunset Bay. Body recovered 08/18/2016
- 08/20/2016 – Jered Grieb, M-20, of Chardon, Ohio struggled in the water near Fish Point Provincial Nature Reserve Saturday – three gentleman attempted to return him to shore but they were unsuccessful.
- 10/21/2016 – Robert White, 58, found in the water just east of the Hot Waters Bait and Fishing Store. He had left home to go night fishing about 11:30 p.m. Tuesday and never returned home
- 11/06/2016 – Roger Burton, M-55, went missing the afternoon of Nov. 6 near Fairport Harbor. At 4 p.m. the Coast Guard Sector Buffalo received a report of two people in the water about 1 mile offshore near Fairport after the 22-foot boat they were on capsized.
- 12/11/2017 – Jennifer Chambers, F-?, car plunged into the Detroit River on Belle Isle. Body Recovered April 1, 2017
LAKE ONTARIO = 13
- 01/29/2016 – John Doe, M-23, he went over the edge of the Wolfe Island ferry
- 02/08/2016 – Jane Doe, F-72, the woman had fallen into the lake near her property
- 05/27/2016 – John Doe, M-35, Kingston Police responded to a call, police pursuit, called off, possible crash into Lake Ontario
- 05/30/2016 – John Doe, M-Late Teens/early 20’s, Peel Regional Police, Peel Region Paramedics and Mississauga firefighters responded to the incident at Lakefront Promenade Park around 9:45 p.m., car in Lake Ontario, officers don’t suspect foul play.
- 06/12/2016 – Barry Burnett, M-70, Fishing, reported missing from the Bluffer’s Park
- 06/12/2016 – Gerald Ferreira, M-52, Fishing, reported missing from the Bluffer’s Park
- 06/25/2016 – John Doe, M-20s, dies after being pulled from Lake Ontario – A man in his 20s has died after being pulled from Lake Ontario Sunday morning. Paramedics say a group of friends were walking along Queens Quay at Yonge near the ferry terminal around 5 a.m. when one of them fell into the water.
- 06/25/2016 – John Doe*, M-45-60, recovered from the Lake on Saturday.
- 08/06/2016 – Brandon L. Gould, M-34, body recovered 08/08/2016, Waves reportedly were four to five feet high at the time and hampered rescue efforts. Gould was visiting with family at Brennan Beach in the Town of Richland. “We looked out and saw him struggling,’’ Gould’s brother, Korey Gould, told Syracuse.com. “I ran in to get him but did not get there in time.’’
- 10/04/2016 – John Doe, M-?, The man was found near Unwin Ave. between Tommy Thompson Park and Leslie St. on Tuesday night and was later pronounced dead. He is believed to have fallen out of a boat.
- 10/27/2016 – Jane Doe, F-?, a middle-aged woman’s body has been recovered from the bottom of the city’s harbour, the task of determining why her car plunged off a bridge into Lake Ontario begins. What is known so far is that a woman, whose name has not been released, was driving a silver Toyota Corolla north on Cherry St., south of Polson St., at a high rate of speed around 4 p.m. Thursday when it mysteriously veered left, crashed through a guardrail and flew off the west side of a bridge into a shipping channel.
- 11/04/2016 – John Doe, M-?, Toronto police investigate body found in Lake Ontario in Scarborough. Niagara police say the male body was found around 9:30 a.m. (Friday, Nov. 4) off the Waterfront Trail in Spring Gardens Park between Geneva St. and Vine St.
- 11/06/2016 – John Doe, M-?, Police are investigating after a body was found floating in Lake Ontario near the Scarborough Bluffs Sunday, Nov. 6.
55 Great Lakes Drownings
LAKE MICHIGAN = 25
- 06/05/2015 – Donald Wilson, M-28, Lakeview neighborhood recovered near Belmont Avenue, Chicago, IL
- 06/10/2015 – John Doe, M-?, Body recovered near Navy Pier, Chicago, IL
- 06/22/2015 – John Doe, M-? Body recovered near Oak St. Beach, Chicago, IL
- 07/11/2015 – Greg Jackson, M-62, Fell off sail boat
- 07/19/2015 – John Doe*, M-?
- 07/22/2015 – Dionysus W. Ames*, 49, near Chicago Ave., Chicago, IL
- 07/24/2015 – Eddie Horns, M-17 – 31st Street Beach, Chicago, IL
- 07/28/2015 – Willis Jones, M-45, died after being pulled out of Lake Michigan on Tuesday.
- 07/29/2015 – Francisco Armendariz, M-29, drowned during a night swim at Oak Street Beach, Chicago.
- 07/31/2015 – Chase Froese, F-20, possible rip current, Porter Beach, IN
- 08/02/2015 – Jose Ortega*, M-35 Chicago, IL pulled from Oak Street Beach.
- 08/10/2015 – Eric Graff, M-39*, jumped in without a life jacket and tried to swim a rope to friends on another boat so they could be connected and watch the Great Lakes Grand Prix in Michigan City, IN. He yelled for help, went face down in the water and was pulled out. CPR was started by one of the passengers. It’s possible he suffered a medical related episode.
- 08/21/2015 – John Doe, M-30’s, pulled from water near Foster Beach, Chicago, IL
- 09/12/2015 – Max W. Boheme, M-24, from Lisle, Illinois, Boheme had been participating in the Great Lakes Kayak Fishing Series and failed to return at the end of the event. He was wearing a life jacket, was floating face down on the surface of the water, Coast Guard officials said.
- 09/13/2015 – John Doe, M-36, died after being pulled from the water at 31st Street beach, Chicago.
- 09/19/2015 – Earl Helmuth, M-24, swept off pier by wave in Michigan City, IN
- 09/26/2015 – Aaron Juarez, M-40, Missing – Presumed Drowned, Fishing out of Port Sheldon/Pigeon Lake boat launch. The men, two dogs, boat and fishing gear has not been recovered.
- 09/26/2015 – Christopher Thode, M-25, Missing – Presumed Drowned, Fishing out of Port Sheldon/Pigeon Lake boat launch. The men, two dogs, boat and fishing gear has not been recovered.
- 11/01/2015 – Kevin Brandon Lackey, M-24, Swimming at McKinley Marina ,
- 11/01/2015 – Robert Dermody, body recovered near 9th Street and Sheridan Road
- 11/14/2015 – John Doe, M-60, Reported missing from Chicago 10/13/2015. Recovered near Port Sheldon, MI.
- 11/19/2015 – Brandi Mannino, F-23, of Watervliet. Possibly swept off the pier at Tiscornia Beach, St. Joseph, MI.
- 11/19/2015 – Eike Krebs, M-23, Possibly attempting to rescue girlfriend who may have been swept off the pier at Tiscornia Beach, St. Joseph, MI. Body Recovered 12/19/2015
- 12/12/2015 – Jamil Sharif, M-49, near the museum at 5700 S. Lake Shore Drive, Chicago
- 12/14/2015 – John Doe, M-58, 31st Harbor, Chicago
LAKE SUPERIOR = 2
- 07/29/2015 – Andrew Kneeshaw, 49, McLain State Park. A nearby surfer assisted the swimmer back to shore and began CPR.
- 08/15/2015 – John Doe, M-87, Drowned while swimming with11 year old daughter.
LAKE HURON = 6
- 06/29/2015 – George Robert Brammer of Huntington, M-74, West Virginia. He was not wearing a life jacket while boating.
- 08/02/2015 – Lucas Johnson, M-16, swimming near the pier at the Kincardine Harbour.
- 08/15/2015 – Chelsea M. Younge, F-26, drowned Saturday evening after jumping from a fishing boat on Saginaw Bay.
- 08/20/2015 – Garrett Lewis, M-23, last seen swimming near rock wall
- 09/03/2015 – Matthew James Boniface, M-27, he was swimming back from a sandbar when he was “overcome by fatigue,” at Pinery Provincial Park in Kincardine. He had been pulled from the water without vital signs. Bystanders reportedly performed CPR, but he could not be revived.
- 11/01/2015 – Jane Doe, F-32, rough water near the town of Bluewater
LAKE ERIE = 13
- 05/24/2015 – John Doe, M-22, Geneva on the Lake
- 05/25/2015 – Demarios Eatman, M-21, Wildwood Park, Pier jump
- 06/06/2015 – Glen Willaim, M-65, fall off a sailboat during race near East Harbor State Park
- 06/19/2015 – John Doe, M-10, Swept away from shore
- 07/01/2015 – John Doe, M-?, Body pulled from water (Possible suicide?)
- 07/23/2015 – John Doe, M-21, fell off inflatable raft and not wearing a life-jacket
- 07/30/2015 – Jane Doe, F-?, Would-be rescuer.
- 07/24/2015 – Sidney Heidrick, M-4, wandered out of grandparent’s home and entered water.
- 07/28/2015 – Christopher J. Hall, M-30, fishing from pier and went swimming
- 09/19/2015 – John Doe, drowned while swimming with friends in Port Colborne
- 09/22/2015 – Rich Gala, M-80, Fisherman found floating face down. He was wearing a life jacket
- 10/25/2015 – Stanley Eliot Moore, M-53, Fishing
- 12/06/2015 – Andrew Lasek, M-42, Kayaking and fishing. Recovered about a mile off shore from Sturgeon Point Marina, Town of Evans.
LAKE ONTARIO = 9
- 02/22/2015 – Max Maisel, M-21, near the Charlotte Pier in Rochester, N.Y.
- 05/24/2015 – John Doe, M-40 to 45, 1225 Lake Shore Blvd., Toronto, CA
- 06/04/2015 – Jarett Shoal, M-30, Missing while boating
- 06/16/2015 – Keith White, M-34, fall of cruise boat
- 06/26/2015 – John Doe, M-?, Body recovered
- 08/10/2015 – John Doe, M-69, possibly fell off boat
- 09/05/2015 – Anelle Maegen Bagalac, F-12, attempting to save her younger brother drowning in the Scarborough Bluffs
- 09/27/2015 – John Doe, M-49, Body of missing kayaker found on shore. It is believed that he was not wearing a life jacket at the time. He has not been publicly identified at the family’s request.
- 10/29/2015 Timothy Kelley, M-36, Kayaking
* = Awaiting confirmation of drowning.
54 Great Lakes Drownings
LAKE MICHIGAN = 24
- 02/22/2014 Jane Doe-(Debra Fredricksen?), F-61
- 02/26/2014 Jeremy L. Zerbe, M-35, Recovered 04/29/2014
- 04/18/2014 Tyna Nguyen,F-20s Woman pulled from Lake Michigan 04/19 died.
- 04/28/2014 Cristal Garcia, F-18,Montrose Harbor, Chicago, IL, died in hospital 05/09
- 04/28/2014 Victor Victor Martinez, M-20, Attempted rescue at Montrose Harbor
- 05/03/2014 John Moebs, M-33, Milwaukee, WI
- 05/08/2014 Rebecca Long, F-32, Lake Forest, IL
- 05/15/2014 Bonnie Ruleau, F-55,
- 05/20/2014 Ali Moufid, M-?, 31st Street Beach, Chicago, IL
- 05/20/2014 Othmane Kassou, M-?, 31st Street Beach, Chicago, IL
- 05/21/2014 Jose Moreno, M-17, Holland State Park, Pier Jump
- 05/31/2014 Ron Wood Jr., M-29, boating and attempted rescue (body recovered June 27)
- 06/01/2014 Orest Sopka, 30, Boat sank between New Buffalo & Chicago
- 06/01/2014 Megan Blenner, F-27, Recovered 06/29/2014
- 06/16/2014 Jose Alcazar, M-18, Pier Jump, Whiting, IN
- 07/01/2014 Gyron Webb, M-16, Fell off rocks, Irving Park Rd. and Lake Michigan, Chicago, IL
- 07/02/2014 Eric Pandasi, M-20, 1100-block West Pratt Avenue, Chicago, IL
- 07/04/2014 Joe Cherry, M-27, 57th Street Beach, Chicago, IL
- 08/09/2014 Daniel Brown, M-56, Brown, no life jacket, fell off boat
- 08/11/2014 Soufija Pastuovich, F-78, Near Promontory Point
- 09/07/2014 Amer Rustum, M-54, fall from boat, near Indiana Dunes State Park
- 09/17/2014 Joseph Kiehm, M-48, sailboating – McKinley Marina in the Milwaukee Harbor
- 09/21/2014 John Doe, M-?,
- 11/24/2014 John Doe
Other Lake Michigan related deaths:
- 06/01/2014 Ashley Haws, F-29, [died from hypothermia]
- 06/23/2014 Roland W. Gregory, M-76, South Port Beach, Kenosha, WI [may be natural causes]
- 08/24/2014 Elderly Man, Lighthouse Beach
LAKE SUPERIOR = 2
- 12/23/2014 Evan “Alec” Johnson, M-40, swept off rocks
- 12/23/2014 Wayne Hoffman, M-66, ‘would-be rescuer’
LAKE HURON = 7
- 06/04/2014 Calvert H. Shuptrine, M-84, Swimming in surf
- 06/17/2014 John Doe, M-18, Inflatable raft drifted from shore.
- 07/05/2014 Selim Mahmutovic, M-25, swimming near breakwater at Port Austin harbor
- 08/11/2014 Dennis Javens, M-?, Scuba diving
- 08/16/2014 Adam McKelvey, M-42, would-be rescuer
- 08/20/2014 Timothy A. Troup, M-62, Scuba diving
- 09/01/2014 Tomasz Gladkowski, M-39, would-be rescuer of son
LAKE ERIE = 17
- 04/17/2014 Andy Rose, M-33, missing boater recovered 05/08 three weeks after accident on 04/14/2014
- 04/17/2014 Bryan Huff, 32, missing boater recovered 05/06 three weeks after accident 0n 04/14/2014
- 04/17/2014 Paige Widmer, F-17
- 04/17/2014 Amy Santus, F-33
- 05/31/2014 Peter Radke, M-43, Rescue Attempt, Huntington Beach in Bay Village, OH
- 06/04/2014 Antonio Romao, M-65, Fishing
- 06/29/2014 Boy Doe, M-14,
- 07/01/2014 David Ingraham, M-62, Swimming alongside a raft Geneva on the Lake, OH
- 07/08/2014 Kristen Stefan, F-37, rescue attempt, son inner tube, offshore winds, Shore Haven Beach, NY
- 07/05/2014* Boy Doe, M-14, Headlands Beach State Park, *Condition unknown
- 07/18/2014 Jane Doe, F-?, Edgewater Park,
- 07/27/2014 Peter Hildebrandt, M-15
- 08/17/2014 Kelly Walker, F-34
- 08/17/2014 Bryce Canady, M-15,
- 08/24/2014 John Doe, M-45, Erieau Beach, Chatham-Kent
- 08/24/2014 Hiawatha Rutland, M-33, Whiskey Island, Cleveland, OH
- 09/07/2014 Juan Lavya, M-34, of Detroit, Michigan.
LAKE ONTARIO = 4
- 05/15/2014 John Suppel, M-60, Missing boater, search called off.
- 08/21/2014 Christian D. Gothgen, M-49
- 09/07/2014 Ivan Batusic, M-47, boating
- 10/05/2014 Kavi Kistnasamy, M-22
67 Great Lakes Drownings
LAKE MICHIGAN = 24
- 06/06 Ramon Benavidez, 32, Belmont Harbor,
- 06/18 Benjamin McCarter, 31-M, Kenosha, WI Pier Jump
- 06/19 Austin Hudson-Lapore, 20-M, Chicago, IL
- 06/25 Miles Percy Smith, 16-M, Grand Traverse Bay, MI
- 06/25 John Doe, 40-M, Belmont Harbor, Chicago, IL
- 06/31 John English, 47-M, Grand Haven, MI
- 07/02 John Doe, 8-M, North Manitou Island, Glen Arbor, MI
- 07/04 Christopher Evans, 25-M, Belmont Harbor, Chicago, I
- 07/16 Brian Behrensprung, 39-M, Sheboygan, WI
- 07/16 Johnathan Whitehouse, Aronson Island, Escanaba, MI
- 07/17 Robert Womac, ?-M, Leland, MI
- 07/18 Nathan Luna, 34-M, Laketown Township, MI
- 07/18 Michael Janko. Fell off boat possibly without life jacket.
- 07/19 Rochelle Jenkins, 15-F, Pere Marquette Park
- 07/20 Bruce Henderson, 67-M, Nordhouse Dunes, in Mason County’s Grant Township
- 07/27 Matt Kocher, 15-M, New Buffalo, MI
- 07/27 Gonzola Silva, 37-M, Beverly Shores, IN.
- 08/04 Wayne Gordon, 30-M, Jackson Harbor, Chicago, IL
- 08/11 Bobby J. Wilson, 30-M, outside the Hammond Marina, Hammond, IN
- 08/15 Dylan Curtis Bailey, 24-M, Sleeping Bear Bay, Glen Arbor, MI
- 08/27 Anthony Tyson, 54-M, 57th St. Beach, Air mattress, Chicago, IL
- 09/01 Najam Naimi, 30-M, Montrose Harbor, Retrieving ball, Chicago, IL
- 10/22 Richard J. Franzese, 58-M, Reefpoint Marina, Racine, WI
- 04/16/2014 Allen L. Townsend, M-48, Went missing 11/20/2013
LAKE SUPERIOR = 9
- 01/27 James Hudson, 34-M, Bayfield, WI, Snowmobile through ice
- 02/21 Joshua G. Reynolds 30-M, Madeline Island, Bayfield, WI, Snowmobile through ice
- 02/21 Mark J. Backe 38-M, Madeline Island, Bayfield, WI, Snowmobile through ice
- 07/15 Lloyd W. Krohn, 55-M, scuba diving a shipwreck at Isle Royale National Park
- 08/18 Marlene Fox, 26-F, cliff diving, 2 meter waves, Thunder Bay
- 08/18 Kevin Spade, 32-M, cliff diving, 2 meter waves, Thunder Bay
- 09/08 Kenny Rubbet, 19-M, north side of Little Presqe Isle
- 10/03 Paul Francis Lempke, 48-M, Kauppi Resort north of Gay in Sherman Township
- 10/04* John Doe, ?-M, north side Steamboat Island, south of Pancake Bay
LAKE ONTARIO = 14
- 03/29 John Doe, 16-M, Don Basin, vehicle submerged, Toronto, CA
- 05/08* John Doe, 30-40’s, Ashbridges Bay, Toronto, CA
- 06/04 John Doe, ?, Scarborough Bluffs
- 06/16 Daniel Ransom, 19-M, Port Credit
- 06/19* Jane Doe, 48-F, Port Darlington Beach
- 06/21* John Doe, ?-?, Toronto Beach
- 07/02 Jane Doe, 33-F, Ontario Place, Toronto
- 07/15* Scott B. French – missing
- 07/15 Tony Weaver, 40-M, Fell off boat, Huron, NY
- 08/06* John Doe, 50’s-M, Oshawa shoreline,
- 08/12 Erhard Fenzl, 73-M, Canoe capsized, MARATHON, Ont.
- 08/12 John Doe, 43-M, Burloak Drive, Halton
- 08/25 Pirasanna Bakumar, 26-M J.C. Saddington Park in Mississauga
- 10/18 Matthew John MacLeod, 38-M, Beachway Park
LAKE ERIE = 19
- 01/29 Jacob Samusenko, 17-M, East Basin, Erie, PN
- 03/09 John Doe, ?-M, Rock Hall, Cleveland, OH
- 04/07 Jonathan Francis, 30-M, Sandusky Bay, OH, Kayaking
- 04/07 Viola Francis, 12-F, Sandusky Bay, OH, Kayaking
- 05/16 Godfried McKinney, 54-M, Monroe County, Fishing
- 05/16 Kendrick Covington,64-M, Monroe County, Fishing
- 07/04 John Doe, 36-M, Estral Beach, 30 miles northeast of Toledo, OH
- 07/07 Jan Carlos Delosantos-Nunez, 17-M, Westfield, NY
- 07/09 James Paul VanDosen, 36-M, Wayne County
- 07/11 Kenneth Stockwell, 66-M, Leamington
- 07/12 Jermaine Marcus Zirkle, 13-M, Ashtabula County, Saybrook Township
- 07/16 Gregory Adams, 15-M, Edgewater Park
- 07/24 Ralph Miller, 66-M, rough waters, near Sara’s Campground in Millcreek Towship
- 07/27 John Doe, Cuyahoga, OH
- 08/25 Brian J. McCluskey, 32-M, Evangola State Park, Irving, NY
- 08/25 Traveno Sledge, 24-M, Euclid Beach State Park, Cleveland, OH
- 08/25 Jonathan Davis, 29, E. 72nd Street and North Marginal Road, Cleveland, OH
- 12/20 Robert Remec, 56-M, Sheffield Lake boat launch
- 12/27 Lothario Julius Duckworth, 38, car submerged, boat ramp, Wildwood State Park
LAKE HURON = 1
2012 Great Lakes Drowning Statistics = 99; 260 since 2010
2011 Great Lakes Drowning Statistics = 87; 161 since 2010
2010 Great Lakes Drowning Statistics = 744